Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61

  2. #62
    The Lightbringer Vellerix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    3,287
    The way she instantly resorted to hostility makes me think she may know she sucks deep down and is in denial of it.

  3. #63
    It's gonna be hit and miss with Openraid, because in the end you deal with people who can range from average to good, or bad.

    Overall for me it's been a good experience and to so easily get a raid group for whatever raid is awesome. I've had a couple bad groups yes, but I'd say overall it's amazing.

  4. #64
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    74
    If you're willing to put a little time into looking up the people you run with for the most part you'll avoid situations like this. I've mostly had very good experiences with Openraid and the only runs I've been to that have been lackluster have all been run with people who have not even cleared the stuff they are trying to lead.
    That one retired mage.
    http://dotabuff.com/players/75546158 Main DotA account
    http://dotabuff.com/players/135984949 Secondary DotA account

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    "If you let 1 wave pass, then find an opening and just strafe it is pretty easy to avoid"
    Obviously it wasn't your intention, but if I had to guess they took that last part as saying, "This is super easy, if you died it's because you're doing it wrong." Just the fact that you lived and they died sets the context that you're better than them, and put them on the defensive.

    Personally, I agree with the statement that it's not hard to dodge once you understand how the pattern works. But it sounds like this group just doesn't take feedback well, which is sad because it means they probably won't improve much.

    Sometimes it's just how you say things. Other times it's just the audience.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I'd have to get their side of the story to really be able to even begin to comment.

    But, just taking your comments at face value ... I have to assume your tone of voice and/or word choice was perceived, correctly or incorrectly, to be negative / hostile / whatever.

    I mean, take a step back, take yourself out of the situation, and pretend you're reading someone else's story. What's more likely ... an entire guild raged for no reason, or someone didn't realize they sounded condescending ?

    Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying you sounded condescending. Again, I'd have to hear their story to even really begin to truly comment. And even then, only the people who were there can have any accurate picture (and maybe not even then -- perception and communication being very tricky things). Who knows, maybe they pick up pugs just to troll them. That's certainly possible.

    I think the most likely thing is that you were perceived to be condescending, whether you were being condescending or not. I don't know how openraid works so I'm guessing you have a profile that lists your progression/experience. I'm guessing that's how they knew you were 16/16h. Because if that's not the case ...

    Also, consider how you worded it (assuming that was your exact wording). Some folks could reasonably perceive it as earnestly well-meaning, others could interpret it as you saying they're failing at something that should be easy. If your intent was earnest, well, not a whole lot you can do about it being misinterpreted.

    Whenever I give advice to pugs, I tend to phrase it like, "What I like to do for (x) is (whatever)", so it sounds less like I'm telling them what to do and more like I'm just sharing tips.
    Oh trust me, with some people all your wall of text can be nullified. And not just pertaining OR.

  7. #67
    I was a big fan of Openraid back in Cata. I mainly just did transmog/meta/mount runs but most of the time it went well. I really hated the big site redesign they did awhile back and I haven't done much on Openraid since MoP. When I came back in MoP to finish up a few meta's I was missing I got pretty frustrated with the whole system. I wasn't getting picked for any groups despite having great reputation and positive feedback on the site as well as being more geared and more progressed then 90% of the people that were applying for runs and getting in over me. There is really a click-ish attitude there amongst the big raid leaders, and for lack of a better word, their minions. If you're not already in their click then good luck getting in even if you're better then the whole group.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    well maybe they should grow some balls and learn how to take some constructive criticism. no one who plays this game competitively wants to play with scrubs who die to attenuation.
    Anyone who actually plays this game competitively should not have to use Openraid.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbodan View Post
    I was a big fan of Openraid back in Cata. I mainly just did transmog/meta/mount runs but most of the time it went well. I really hated the big site redesign they did awhile back and I haven't done much on Openraid since MoP. When I came back in MoP to finish up a few meta's I was missing I got pretty frustrated with the whole system. I wasn't getting picked for any groups despite having great reputation and positive feedback on the site as well as being more geared and more progressed then 90% of the people that were applying for runs and getting in over me. There is really a click-ish attitude there amongst the big raid leaders, and for lack of a better word, their minions. If you're not already in their click then good luck getting in even if you're better then the whole group.
    Not to be a dick, but it took me a second to realize you were talking about a "clique" and yeah. people tend to trust people they know over someone who might be better but is ultimately an unknown quantity.

  10. #70
    Herald of the Titans MrHappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,534
    lol wow someone is jelly haha. sorry to hear that op...some people are just...priceless...yea lets just leave it at that >.>
    www.cherishyourit.ca MCTS - Win 7, MCTS - AD, A+, Security+

  11. #71
    Epic! Zaxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sofia/Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,539
    Well if you dint know the ppl or guilds where they come from there is high chance someone to ruin your fun makes you to feel that you arent in normal raid but LFR

  12. #72
    Pandaren Monk Auloria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,941
    I've had okay experiences, but people stealing your heroic ID was pretty annoying when we were working on heroic rag mounts. Or you'd kick someone and they'd make a new group to squat and prevent your guys from getting in.

  13. #73
    Love it. i am on a dead server ( apx 8k players horde and ally ) so finding that last dps to fill a raid can be a pain. or im bored and wanna raid and noones on. i also work graveyard so it's nice to use as a resource to find raid spots for alts etc... i just found out about it 3 month ago and only wished i had this resource in cata.
    now, in those 3 months i've had several great experiences. i've also had some terrible ones. luck of the draw i suppose.

  14. #74
    I've had some good experiences with Openraid, but I've also not joined a T14 pug raid lead by someone I don't know. Running your own raids (or having friends do it) is a really important way to set the tone for what sort of experience you want on Openraid.

  15. #75
    I've been in both good groups and bad groups from OpenRaid. I was in one group that 1 shot H Empress today, and another group that wiped on Normal Garalon because "this is how we kite Pheromones in LFR and it works good there, it should be the same on Normal."

    I usually Wowprogress the leader and at least a few tanks / healers to see if they have actually killed said boss(es) on any of their toons or if they're at least decently progressed in ToT (if they got past Normal Durumu they're probably not terrible).

    OP's group probably had people who never killed Normal Imperial Vizier before and who probably think dodging Attenuation is optional because the rings hit for 30k each like they do on LFR.

  16. #76
    Like people have said, you can have a really good or really bad experience, as with any pug. It bugs me that people spam "lfm heroic msv 505+ ilvl" When a person who only trolls lfr can get that ilvl easily(trolls seem to have the best luck)

    Did a hof on there, 2-3 derps dying on attenunation every time... A certain rogue in my friends raid group still hasn't been able to master it, and they're in tot? It's not rocket science to avoid rings /endrant

    tldr
    openraid is very useful for people, but you have to learn to take the bad with the good.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Recently started using openraid, and I can for sure say I got different views on this...

    Was in a HOF pug last night, 7 people died on attenuation the first time. I didnt care and went and tried again. Five of the same people died again, and I told them carefully on VT: "If you let 1 wave pass, then find an opening and just strafe it is pretty easy to avoid"

    Then out of nowhere an angry female voice attacked me, saying "JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE 16/16 HEROIC DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN TALK DOWN TO US"

    Like what the fuck? I didnt even talk down to them, just gave a tip how to survive... They were a guildrun appearantly still 4/6 HC MSV and I was on my alt mage just bored after a night of lei shen hc progress.

    Are people really that hostile? I was kicked from the group and their guild posted lots of angry stuff on my feedback page.

    The 1 other time I used openraid I joined a terrace pug with complete randoms and 1 shotted everything fast and easy. But I had to make a new profile because of those dumbasses in HoF.
    We only have your version of the event. Not saying you are right or wrong, just stating the facts. I have tried open raids before arranged by my guild but it was for achievement runs in older content. Some guild members who does this regularly generally have a positive opinion of it.

  18. #78
    Stood in the Fire Bombino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    450
    There's good/bad people everywhere. What's nice about openraid is it makes interacting with those people much easier and faster.
    Always gonna have a 50/50 chance on the kind of ppl you pug with.

    I'd suggest just taking good control of your own time, if you really don't like your group, leave; if you really like your group, add someone and go with them later. I personally love not being limited to my own server, Open Raid and Oqueue open up a lot of opportunities that I'm surprised blizzard themselves haven't implemented yet.

  19. #79
    Openraid is what you make of it.

    During Cata I managed to knock out heroic rag and was the only horde toon on draenor at that point with the firelord title, tier 11 meta, heroic dw again horde 1st and amazingly an immortal sinestra kill!
    So far during MoP ive managed to knock out a majority of the Tier 14 meta and alot of the heroic kills I didnt get in HoF and ToES.
    I'll also be looking to finish my meta out and secure a heroic sha kill in the coming weeks.

    Openraid truely reinvigorated my game time outside guild raiding in this game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •