Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

LOLore. :( Kind of pathetic ...

... isn't it?

It's freaking sad that Metal Gear Rising, a hack and slash action game, has more interesting and better rounded out villains. -_-

It's all subjective, whats a good story to one might not be for someone else, same goes for characters. I personally really enjoy most of the villains and Heroes in WoW. I love the storylines, the books are fab, and I get excited when new books/patches come out.

I bet you're the type of person who thinks anime is the epitome of storytelling.

Deleted
    no it isn't

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, Part of me says you're only judging from the MoP or Vanilla-MoP standard.
    And not all the books before War 1, War 1, war 2, war 3, etc etc.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Seriously mate, ..you have to look around, the lore is fucking huge.
    Last edited by GeordieMagpie; 2013-05-03 at 08:19 AM.
    Howay the lads!

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really a solid based start to a diskussion, but more or less agree. When it comes to the game there is one huge (imo) error on blizzards side, and that is they blend the books with the games storyline here and there expecting all players to have read it to understand, or just plain ignore the story to get through the quests. Which personally insults me, since I´m not going to go out and order a book (yes, I haven´t seen any of them in bookstores here ) = paying MORE money to understand why a character is doing this or that, or even possibly why that person is now "evil". They need to add these information in the game somehow - narrated, or however.

Now I´m not saying I can´t have missed things, but with the amount of characters I have gone through I doubt it.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    I bet you're the type of person who thinks anime is the epitome of storytelling.
    sweeping generalisations much

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    It's all subjective, whats a good story to one might not be for someone else, same goes for characters. I personally really enjoy most of the villains and Heroes in WoW. I love the storylines, the books are fab, and I get excited when new books/patches come out.
    No books. A story should be self-contained in the "product".

Don't tell me it's because the MMO genre sucks for story telling. They can tell a decent story with relatively well fleshed out characters in a hack and slash action game that is cleared in 2 weeks for heaven sakes. MMOs have months to tell a story.

Seriously. All the villains have their own (fairly believable) reasons for doing what they do. The final boss even makes you pause a bit - part due to the fact that he is an incredible orator; his VA did a hell of a job.

Don't look at me, I didn't choose the pic >.>

V.S.

the he has gone mad lets kill him villains of WoW - either that or the villain is "naturally evil".

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving the lore.
    But not as much as I'm loving how you've already got your opinion apparently all fleshed out many, many months before 5.4.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Loving the lore.
    But not as much as I'm loving how you've already got your opinion apparently all fleshed out many, many months before 5.4.
    You don´t need 5.4 to have an oppinion regarding the lore ...
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    ... isn't it?

It's freaking sad that Metal Gear Rising, a hack and slash action game, has more interesting and better rounded out villains. -_-
    I sincerely disagree. I'd even go so far as to say that MGR is quite terrible in all respects. I've always found japanese games to be very shallow and uninteresting. No offense meant to anyone that likes it ofcourse, tastes are different.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of agree and disagree at the same time while I don't really think the "lore" sucks that much there are a bit many cliche's with the villains in wow... it's like metzen has 2 patterns which he follows... pattern a- villain gets corrupted, pattern b- villain goes mad to the point of no return... and that's basically all end bosses in all expansions.... Illidan-mad, Arthas- corrupted, deathwing-corrupted, garrosh-mad/corrupted(prolly both)... I don't think we have any genuinely evil bosses in wow except the old gods... Even the one who is supposed to be the biggest evil in the universe- Sargeras -was corrupted...

That being said I still love the lore only wish they'd add more voice acting and cinematics and include shit that happens in books in the game... nobody got time to read crappy warcraft books when there are hundreds of better books out there... nor should we... we pay to play a game... I expect to have everything needed included in the game not be dependent on buying stuff outside the game to understand what is happening and why.

I'd just wish they made a warcraft single-player rpg ala Skyrim after they are done with wow and basically remake the entire story of WoW in it...

"My opinion is fact and you best start believing in what I think"
    That's pretty much what I got out of the OP. It's all subjective really, but I can't really speak of MG because the only one I played was MGS3 and that was many years ago.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    No books. A story should be self-contained in the "product".

Don't tell me it's because the MMO genre sucks for story telling. They can tell a decent story with relatively well fleshed out characters in a hack and slash action game that is cleared in 2 weeks for heaven sakes. MMOs have months to tell a story.

Seriously. All the villains have their own (fairly believable) reasons for doing what they do. The final boss even makes you pause a bit - part due to the fact that he is an incredible orator; his VA did a hell of a job.

Don't look at me, I didn't choose the pic >.>

V.S.

the he has gone mad lets kill him villains of WoW - either that or the villain is "naturally evil".
    The lore is so expansive that it spans across 4 RTS games(Warcraft 1-TFT) and WoW and all it's expansions plus all the books. I dont think so much lore can be contained within a single game.

OT: Story is subjective, I personally love all the lore in the warcraft universe.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    You don´t need 5.4 to have an oppinion regarding the lore ...
    It's not OK when it's presented as fact ("such and so game has better villains"), or alluded to as commonly accepted without taking in regard other people's opinions on the matter.
    OP's presentation is lacking.

Also, Garrosh's story and motivation, which is one of OP's main points, will be a completed story in 5.4. until then, it's an unfinished product and should be regarded as such.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2013-05-03 at 09:41 AM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

One of the strong points and obvious improvements in MoP compared to Cata is the lore.

Deleted
    If you wanted all that lore in-game, you'd have hour-long scenarios, tons of roleplay (that often you can'teven skip and you're just next to the NPC's, tapping your foot impatiently) and quite honestly, there are hardly any people who listen to what characters say in-game anyways. I'm sure if you'd include all of the lore into the game people would be QQing that things take so long, that there's too much 'blahblah' at the bosses or quests or scenarios or wherever you want to have it, and they want to get on faster to level up faster to get epics faster to show off what they got faster etc etc. It also saves Blizzard time to put their effort into more important stuff like feeding you with raids or heroics or anything to do at level 90. Adding a huge bunch of lore (possible with voice acting) just so that people can perhaps see it once and then never look at it again might just not be worth it.

In my opinion it's a good thing that Blizzard added all the lore as something 'optional'. You're REALLY interested in lore? Buy the books. I have them all, you can order them online on amazon or wherever for just a few bucks/quid/euros, at least where I live most of them cost between 2 and 10 Euros (unless it's one that just came out). And if you can't be arsed to read a book, how could you possible be arsed to read all that in-game?

I'm a big fan of the lore, I think it's astonishing how people can come up with a WORLD (of warcraft), including all these places and NPCs with all their past and intentions, there's so much creativity and organisation behind that. I know people even complain about that some things don't quite add up, and that X happened different in Warcraft 1 than it was said in e.g. Cataclysm. When they were making/writing the lore back then they had no idea how huge the game would become, now they have to make the best out of it. Give them a break. I think they're doing a pretty damn good job.

I disagree. The lore in Warcraft/World of Warcraft is rich, even if the story-line might be a bit wonky now and then. Even that is somewhat fixed now. While I think it's not perfect, it's not at all lorelol.

I'm a bit sad that of all games, you'd choose to compare WoW to Metal Gear Rising, not because I think you can't compare them (you can't, but that's not my point) but because I freaking love both WoW lore, and Metal Gear Rising (as well as the entire Metal Gear series) and now this will just call out hate to both games while neither deserve any.

I think Metal Gear Rising's story isn't deep and too fleshed out at all, BUT -- and this is a big but. For what is effectively a glorified minigame in terms of length (okay, I am exaggerating -- the official play time + cutscenes is around 5 hours, I think?) - it did very well explaining the story and fleshing out the characters it had.

So in general, the story was eh, so-so-- but if you look at how much time the game had to do so, it's really pretty good. Metal Gear Rising had a negative reputation for many reasons, one of them being to focus on a character many have hated since Metal Gear Solid 2 ( I always liked him, especially because he was flawed and inexperienced. It made him feel more alive than just another smoking bad-ass who is never really surprised or thrown down to the ground) as well as being the first Hack and Slash game in the Metal Gear series, a series fans interpreted fully as a line of stealth games, not hack&slashers.

With that in mind, Metal Gear Rising did VERY well, earning the love of many people who enjoyed various aspects. Loads of people hope for a sequel, and this time around, now Platinum Games has more than a year (they had a year to make a game from scratch, maybe even less - because the project was first scrapped by Kojima before they gave it over to Platinum) and allegedly the Fox Engine (Kojima has stated he and Platinum games wants to make use of the Fox Engine for MGR2) to utilize, I think Metal Gear Rising 2 has even more potential.

Also don't forget that Metal Gear Rising had the lore of the very convoluted Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid series to draw from, which helped.

All in all, for how long the game was, the story was pretty good (comparatively), but it can't compare to World of Warcraft; not even nearly. Not even by a long shot. Same goes for the entire Metal Gear franchise. I love both, but I have to be honest here.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    Not sure how 1 particular form of media or wathever can be the best at how a story is told. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I myself have mixed feelings about lore. I really like mogu/lei shen part as well as mantid/sha storylines. They fit into world and expand theme's we are already familiar with (titans/old gods). I really enjoyed zones like kun-lai, townlong, and dread wastes. On the other hand we have "lolpanda" lore and it kinda made me facepalm. I never was against pandaren pre-mop and even after release i actually liked them, but god valley of 4 winds is possibly the most retarded zone in game. Chasing pigs combined with overwheliming "lolbrew" theme gets old before you leave first quest hub, and there is alot more. Also the climax of kaarsang/valley is borderline absurd. So mantid send a giant collosus able to break through wall, and basically roll over any forces around him and we.... one shot him ? By jumping inside him and using kung-fu we learned 5 minutes ago to asplode his brain/heart/ballsack ? REALLY ? From all things i seen in this game that was by far most retarded one. Also forcing hordies to work with anduin is idiotic. Other than that MoP is still huge improvement over cataclysm.