Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by likemah View Post
    for 30 min, max.

Misleading stuff everywhere
    You try holding your breath for 30 minutes.

I think that's pretty damn AMAZING! And lets not forget that this is just the START of it. If it catches on, it will be worked on and refined.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm curious now, what exactly happens if you inject oxygen into your veins?
    Air bubble travels into your heart, creating a perma-bubble that could prevent pumping of blood into your vessels.

In short - pretty much a guaranteed heart-attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    for 30 minutes? not bad!

omfg.... warlock spell in real life
    Now all you need is green fire.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Not sure this is true at all. The instinct to breath is to continually oxygenate your blood through the lungs. If you have oxygenated blood from another source, you might be able to stop the breathing process.
    I'm inclined to agree with you, as far as I'm aware the brain stem (which subconsciously controls vital functions, which means it forces you to breath among other things) gets its cues from chemical concentrations. I'm pretty sure if one's blood is oxygenated, the brain stem wont get the cues to continue forcing one to breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you, as far as I'm aware the brain stem (which subconsciously controls vital functions, which means it forces you to breath among other things) gets its cues from chemical concentrations. I'm pretty sure if one's blood is oxygenated, the brain stem wont get the cues to continue forcing one to breath.
    This must feel so weird... not breathing, and never feeling the urge to breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    This must feel so weird... not breathing, and never feeling the urge to breath.
    Doesn't seem too weird to me. :P Try taking a deep breath and imagine the feeling that you feel a second after completing the inhalation being prolonged to last 30 minutes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    This is how it works; say your lungs fail... they inject you with these particles (bubbles of fat 0.4 times the size of a red blood cell, containing 3-4 times more oxygen than a red blood cell) directly into your blood stream. That way, your red blood cells can get the oxygen they need for cellular breathing (the process which uses up oxygen to yield energy vital for the functioning of every cell) directly from the bloodstream instead of having it done in the lungs.

If anything, this is even more efficient, during those 30 minutes, than having your blood get the oxygen at one place 'cause this way your get injected once and that quickly spreads all over your body and lasts half an hour, compared to the 5-second interval "injection" called breathing in.
    Thanks for explaining, though doesn't this risk going into the other extreme, too much oxigen? I mean, remember when you aren't doing any effort and yet you start breathing faster just to test, after a little while you start feeling dizzy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Thanks for explaining, though doesn't this risk going into the other extreme, too much oxigen? I mean, remember when you aren't doing any effort and yet you start breathing faster just to test, after a little while you start feeling dizzy.
    I'm not sure but I doubt there are any adverse effects of too much oxygen. As for the test you mentioned, it's just as oxygen inefficient as normal breathing is; if you inhale really fast, you're going to exhale really fast. Breathing fast doesn't change your lungs' rate of blood oxygenation. What does change it is the amount of oxygen your brain registers you're missing. Meaning that if you do physical activity, you're breathing faster because your brain tells you to do so because it knows the percentage of oxygenated hemoglobin in your blood has dropped.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder if a mother had an underwater birth in the ocean and then the child simply stays underwater through getting these injections constantly, if it would ever learn to breathe?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i wonder if a mother had an underwater birth in the ocean and then the child simply stays underwater through getting these injections constantly, if it would ever learn to breathe?
    No. It would die after ~30 minutes from CO2 poisoning because this only supplies oxygen, it doesn't allow you to exhale CO2.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Applications for exercise? Easily hyper-oxygenate before going on a run?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

This is very amazing. Aids cure next!