Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How do you guys deal with frostbite on H. Council as ele?

We had our first pulls on council heroic last night, and the frostbite absolutely raped me every time. We tried the solo soaking strat, but I would die each try (and I would get frostbite each try as well). At first I went with stone bulwark totem + shamanistic rage, but have come to realize now that the shield isn't enough. So changed that to Nature's Guardian, to buy enough time so the healers get their CD's on me, but there was an attempt where it simply did not proc (since I went like 40% health to zero).

We then changed the strategy and have me stack with our rogue and monk healer in melee. If frostbite was on me, I'd stay stacked 7s, run out to let the debuff go away on the rogue/monk and pop my cd's, and then run in again 7s later. That went fine for like 20s, but then I died anyway.

So come to think that astral shift + shamanistic rage is good for the first 6s, but after that it's gonna be a problem.

I'm specced into prime elementalist, so I could use reinforce / harden skin from the earth ele, but that would mean I can't pop fire elemental at the pull with lust/pots/procs.

Another option I have considered is using the tol barad resistance trinket (it's a -15k simmed dps loss), which gives 400 frost resistance for 10s, though not sure how that translates at lvl 90. We seems to be ok on dps, so that could be worth it.

Anyway, how did you guys deal with the frostbite, and did any of you solo soak it?

Deleted
    I recently killed this on 10man and we just healed through the debuff poping cd's it requires you to spam heal like mad though, i managed to survive as a resto shaman using astral shift, PS from our priest and sacrifices from our paladins. you may aslo want to know that paladins, mages and Druids can completely negate the debuff if they use bubble, iceblock or cloak of shadows before they get the debuff you can tell who it will be on because they will get a arrow on there head right before.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the record, it's on 10m. And I did not run with glyph of healing stream totem, as for some retarded reason I thought frostbite was shadow damage (ye ye i know). SO that should be another 10% less dmg taken for 15s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    For the record, it's on 10m. And I did not run with glyph of healing stream totem, as for some retarded reason I thought frostbite was shadow damage (ye ye i know). SO that should be another 10% less dmg taken for 15s.
    Provided that it reliably heals you at least every now and then for the 6 seconds DR-Buff.

Deleted
    Solo-soaking any particular length of time without cooldowns is a death sentence for any class. Dealing with the 3 frosbites (2 on pull, 1 during the next frist king phase) you get during that fight is actually the hardest part of the fight. A lot of people that are overgearing the encounter will just recommend to try out healing it, but it will never be reliable on an shaman/non shadow priest/hunter, etc.

What we do is have 2 groups of 3 people that always move together during frost king phases, which ensures that there isn't any spike damage from the debuff's application. We do a countdown of 3-2-1 of the warmth debuff on the soaking people, at which point they go out and the 2 dps from the other group go in simultaneously, and rotate like this.

The obvious drawback is reduced raid dps, however this fight is never a dps race if you are meeting the initial check of killing Sul before his empower phase. On the second frost king empowerment phase we just spread around, let the frostbitten person die and rez him, since by then pretty much the entire raid is covered in damage increasing stacks and it is no longer worth it to soak the damage.

Deleted
    if i happen to get it in our raids, im already pre-stacked with 2 other people atleast, so that i can't get two shotted or whatever, they move out after 7 secs, i then used my astral shift so the dmg wont come as a shock, at the same time the paladins will rotate purities on me (we have 2 paladins). and when there's 15 sec left i pop my shamanistic rage for the remaind, also for the last 7 secs the 2 people will move back in on me to share more dmg. also you can't realy reinforced it since you pop your fire ele on pull for burst, and when that is dead the empowerment should've moved on.

We solo soak it (25) but, besides using your cooldowns...all you can do it hope your healers can keep you up.

When that fails, death clears the debuff so you always have that going for you.

Deleted
    Do you have 2 paladins in raid? If yes, let them take Clemency and BoP 4 ppl before cast of frostbite and hope non-BoPed ppl will get it. We basically get rid of one Frostbite with this (second one). For first one we just use 2x3man group (each contain two ranged and 1 healer, and Hpala is not grouping at all, coz he can bubble), person with debuff doesnt move and ppl rotate on him for soaking. I didnt spec even for PE for this, just using Nature Guardian talent and Shamanistic Rage. (And Healing Stream glyph, ofc).
    Not sure if TB trinket gonna work, since resistances on players were removed in MoP prepatch.

3rd Frostbite later in fight is not big issue, u can just sacrifice that person and even if you dont have battle res, you can easily finish boss.
    Last edited by mmoc907ec7a4fa; 2013-05-03 at 09:05 PM.

Deleted
    There's a stratergy that we use which results in there being no "solo soaks". You split into your normal groups of 3, then 2 additional people stack on the frostbite group after 7 seconds. This means that there are always 2 people able to soak with you for the duration of the debuff. It's quite a large DPS loss due to all the extra movement, but it's not like council has the strictest DPS requirements.

As Shaman you can't handle Frostbite solo on Heroic, Pallies can bubble it if they are fast enough though.

We usually do 2 teams, which both have 3 people (2 Ranged and 1 Healer), that way, anyone that get's Frostbite has already 2 people close to him and survives, after 8 seconds the 2 dps from the other get to the Frostbite'd person and soak Frostbite until their bodyheat runs out and the initial soakers are ready again.

Works fine as long as there aren't any Sand Traps messing with it, then we need to blow a CD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrage View Post
    Do you have 2 paladins in raid? If yes, let them take Clemency and BoP 4 ppl before cast of frostbite and hope non-BoPed ppl will get it.
    We do and they are specced into clemency (holy and prot). But afaik they did not pro-active bop 4 ppl. Sounds like a great way.

Thanks for all the great tips. And a last question: is it completely rng who gets the frostbite? Out of 11 attempts I got it 9 times.

Deleted
    Yeah indeed its a great way, simplify fight so much. But just be sure they are BoP before initial cast, not when person has already the arrow on the head (in that case only bubble, IB and cloak works).

I am not sure about RNG, but in most of attempts according to our logs get it warlock or me. Healers almost never got it.

Deleted
    I know the whole Bubble IB cloak gets rid of it when the arrows is on your head but does BOP prevent you from being targeted with the debuff so you can BOP the people will no immunity's is this what you are saying sab?

are you trying to solo soak the entire 30 seconds? cuz thats the wrong way to do it..

its essentially.. spend a few seconds in your range group.. then spend 7 seconds in melee.. then solo soak the last 20 seconds or so.

We solo soak it every time, and ele shaman is one of the easier targets (of the ones that cant cheat it ofc) because of the amount of cooldowns he has. Just pop shamanistic rage at the start. 30% reduce is def. enough to be easily healed(=2 Healer spaming ),after that the healers should chain cds(Barkskin,PainSup,Hand of Sacrifice,Hand of Purity,depending on your healer), and then u can always pop astral shift at the end. One active cd should be enough to heal it. Eleshaman only needs 9 sec of cds by another person.
    I always use Fire Ele at the start.

in Round 2, the "usual" routine is to let the person die, if it cant cheat it, because its extremly hard to manage and burns even more mana.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    And a last question: is it completely rng who gets the frostbite? Out of 11 attempts I got it 9 times.
    I dont think its completly random. In our raid, our Hunter gets it most of the time, and he is the one attacking Frostking(more than the rest) while the rest burns Sul. So it could be that he chooses someone with high threat on him (because he also chooses healer). Myself as an ele, i got it nearly never (talking about the first frostbite)
    Last edited by Genju; 2013-05-06 at 11:09 AM.

we had a specific spot marked and our monk would place 3 orbs there and spam it on the player with frostbite. survived quite well even whitout cd's.
    There is really no reason to get mad in a discussion. Unless u dont understand basic logic then rage away

10+ Year Old Account
    We ended up avoiding the first frostbite completely with 2 pallies in the raid last night:

Warrior/Pally tank wont get it
    Rogue and monk healer were standing in melee all the time and don't get it either
    pally healer can buble proactively
    druid gets cloak from rogue and uses that proactively
    spriest/ele/lock and disc would get bopped (clemency talent)

For the 2nd one we just used 2 groups of 3, though we messed up quite a bit there. Trying to convince my raid that gripping in people into the other group on the 2nd frostbite after 6s could make it fairly trivial, but so far no luck.

I was under the impression that solo soaking should work as well for ele, but died every time. Seems like it was more an issue with healers not chaining cd's correctly than with ele shaman.

Deleted
    I soak it really easy on 25, altough i believe it's alot easier there. We basically have every single healer spamheal the frostbited person. Nothing else really needs to be healed in the first phase from what we have seen. (Aslong people don't use stupid things.) If you can manage to survive the first one, or second one there won't be anymore needed in the fight most likely. In total you will get 1 more and you can either imune that or just die. Goodluck!

the way we did this in 10 man is just when some1 get the debuff, they run to melee, then walk out and soak the rest with 2 healers spamming heals into them, rotate sacs and pain sup and you should be fine. As resto i have even less cooldown than ele, and i survived really well.

Have you tried with conductivity? I know you probably have healing tide totem, but it could be worth to change for conductivity in that fight. The healing you get form the damage you make plus stone bulwark totem plus healing stream could be enough.