Thread: Black Desert

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    No, it just means it's piss easy and any casual noob can do it.

A MMO without competition has no substance. Dungeons/Raids bring just that.

Post constructively. Infracted. -Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2016-02-13 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    People need to stop thinking that every MMO should have the "WoW" formula with rush to max level and log in and do dungeons and raids. Black Desert have plenty of PvE. Just because it's not raids and dungeons doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    Absolutely right. The last thing this game, or any other MMO needs, is to adapt the "we need to be more like Warcraft" mindset.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    People need to stop thinking that every MMO should have the "WoW" formula with rush to max level and log in and do dungeons and raids. Black Desert have plenty of PvE. Just because it's not raids and dungeons doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    I agree with this, and trust me I enjoy the exploration aspect of games more than anything. I think that dungeons/raids add the idea of overcoming an impossible feat, and even though it may not seem as something that isnt always needed it really does add another realm to any game. I mean WoW didnt create the idea of raid bosses, its just something that players enjoy doing to feel like they have accomplished something. Either way even if they dont have huge raids I feel like BDO will have more than enough to do freely to keep most players with that mindset busy.

Deleted
    After reading more into the game I found out that PvE (even with their newest release patches) is just a giant brush to caress your rainbow carebear fur (aka piss easy and almost non existant) and pvp does not exist outside of the desert because it's heavily punishable.
    So all you re left with is pretty graphics and absurd grinds to make fucking furniture.
    Might pass as well I expected more than a fantasy sims.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it just means it's piss easy and any casual noob can do it.

A MMO without competition has no substance. Dungeons/Raids bring just that.
    Conveniently for the game plenty of people don't share that opinion. Besides that I find the notion that dungeons & raids in most MMOs have any serious competitive element pretty laughable, outside of the handful of guilds going for world or server firsts who exactly are you competing against? and for what? I see more competition in Black Deserts PvP than most MMOs PvE.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Conveniently for the game plenty of people don't share that opinion. Besides that I find the notion that dungeons & raids in most MMOs have any serious competitive element pretty laughable, outside of the handful of guilds going for world or server firsts who exactly are you competing against? and for what? I see more competition in Black Deserts PvP than most MMOs PvE.
    The other guilds? There's a reason each WoW realm has a bunch of guilds that brag about their progression.

If PvE wasn't competitive then you would join any random guild.

Deleted
    Competition on who will delete their character faster after ganking 5 consecutive people or who will grief better while people do world bosses in the desert?

10+ Year Old Account
    The other guilds? There's a reason each WoW realm has a bunch of guilds that brag about their progression.

If PvE wasn't competitive then you would join any random guild.
    I don't really view progression as competitive other than specific cases like firsts or timed etc which make up a tiny amount of players, I've never seen anyone brag about being the 39th guild to kill a boss on one of 30 odd servers. Obviously I get the sense of achievement but that doesn't automatically translate into competition, as for joining a guild I think most peoples aim is competence for the sake of reaching that achievement rather than testing themselves against other guild. The best guilds are made up of the best players, statistically the vast majority of players aren't applicable so again what of note are they competing for exactly?

I'm not saying PvE doesn't have any competition but that it isn't relevant for alot of people, PvE can and does exist perfectly fine without it.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Conveniently for the game plenty of people don't share that opinion.
    I think the whole rush to endgame mindset is cancerous, but I also find people thinking meaningful endgame pve content isn't necessary just as silly.

Its extremely awkward in a game like gw2 where you're taking your time having a lot of fun going through all the leveling content etc fully exploring the zones and doing everything... and then you reach "end game" only to find out that there is none and you're expected to just continue doing what you've been doing the entire time. (though I heard their xpac brought about raids or something, haven't looked back at that game in a while)

The game shouldn't be a rush to that shift to end game, but the shift should exist. If there's no meaningful endgame pve content, then people just leave. The game will have its niche audience of people who don't mind endlessly picking flowers and mindlessly steamrolling the same open world mobs, but that's about it.

The whole convos pretty moot though, they already designed the game as is... which is a shame. Would really love to see a game like this that has crazy graphics actually have well fleshed out content, but for some reason the two never seem to come together.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I think the whole rush to endgame mindset is cancerous, but I also find people thinking meaningful endgame pve content isn't necessary just as silly.

Its extremely awkward in a game like gw2 where you're taking your time having a lot of fun going through all the leveling content etc fully exploring the zones and doing everything... and then you reach "end game" only to find out that there is none and you're expected to just continue doing what you've been doing the entire time. (though I heard their xpac brought about raids or something, haven't looked back at that game in a while)

The game shouldn't be a rush to that shift to end game, but the shift should exist. If there's no meaningful endgame pve content, then people just leave. The game will have its niche audience of people who don't mind endlessly picking flowers and mindlessly steamrolling the same open world mobs, but that's about it.

The whole convos pretty moot though, they already designed the game as is... which is a shame. Would really love to see a game like this that has crazy graphics actually have well fleshed out content, but for some reason the two never seem to come together.
    BDO has plenty of stuff to do, it might just not appeal to some people. The game mainly focuses on siege/castle wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    BDO has plenty of stuff to do, it might just not appeal to some people. The game mainly focuses on siege/castle wars.
    Sorry I'm not too familiar with this game I've been kind of keeping an eye on it at arms length.

What are siege / castle wars? Sounds a lot like WvW that gw2 has.

Could be like Age of Conan with their attempt at guild battle keep wars

Deleted
    I'm thinking on buying this game, how is the end-game? Is there any raiding or such?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paluna View Post
    I'm thinking on buying this game, how is the end-game? Is there any raiding or such?
    No not really.
    End game PvE does not have dungeons or raids. It consists of mainly world bosses. The endgame plays a lot like how life in a fantasy setting would have been. You join a guild, try to claim a plot of land, train your skills, grind to lvl up, build your house, train your horse etc etc.
    PvP between guilds is supposedly where its at and I hope it works although most of the time this has been implemented it doesnt (heres to hoping).
    The desert gets added at a later patch which is a mapless area that you discover stuff like more world bosses and open dungeons but they re pretty easy so dont expect much challenging stuff in terms of PvE the game has a different focus.

To ANYONE who wants a key for the 2nd beta coming up the official Black Desert facebook has another giveaway that started early this morning giving out 10k keys. Meaning keys are probably still live. Due to overload the site they're linking has been going up and down. I managed to get in an hour ago, email with key took about 30-40 mins. Just keep refreshing. So GET TO IT.

There's an italian site that has some 700 left. You just need to register and spam their forums until they give you enough points for a key.

Took me about 20 threads and half an hour.

If any italian angry at me for spamming your forums is reading this, mi dispiace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolsiac View Post
    I agree with this, and trust me I enjoy the exploration aspect of games more than anything. I think that dungeons/raids add the idea of overcoming an impossible feat, and even though it may not seem as something that isnt always needed it really does add another realm to any game. I mean WoW didnt create the idea of raid bosses, its just something that players enjoy doing to feel like they have accomplished something. Either way even if they dont have huge raids I feel like BDO will have more than enough to do freely to keep most players with that mindset busy.
    Basically this.

There are certain monsters guilds can summon and kill together for better loot and such. Probably a concept the developers want to expand upon. But this game is made by koreans and in korea now we've seen an interest in open fantasy worlds on the mmorpg market in which the community make up the inhabitants and not NPCs. In the west the few mmorpgs that have come out have all been heavily based on the dungeon/raiding system (aka instanced) with the rpg pretty much ribbed from it. And there is certainly a crowd for that. But for the people who really like their open worlds with classic high fantasy themes and lots of roleplaying aspects this game seems pretty alluring.

The "overcoming" aspect happens in castle sieges and gvg methinks.

Question for those of you that have already played BDO on beta or in other regions or whatever.

Is the leveling path linear or does it have branches? like for example is it like WoW or GW2 where you can be level 10 but you have 3 or 4 zones to choose from? like how you can choose to go to Westfall, Darkshore, Loch Modan or Bloodmyst Isle. Or is the leveling path linear like SWTOR where you go from Hutta/Korriban Drummond Kaas, Balmorra, Nar Shadaa, Tatooine and the same path all the way to level cap no matter what? (only talking about open world questing not questing via dungeons or pvp).

And if it does have branching leveling paths is it limited or does it happen at all level brackets? limited like Wildstar which has two zone options at level 3-7, two options at 7-15 but from then onwards its just 1 leveling path until level cap. OR does the branching paths happen at all level again similar to WoW where even at 25-30 you can choose between 3 zones, then at 30-35 you have 4 zones, 35-40 you have 3 zones. And even in expac areas you had Netherstorm or SMV, HF or Borean, IC or SP, Hyjal or Vashjr, Valley and K-Rang. I know that increased xp rates have allowed us to reach the level cap for the old expacs well before the last quest zones for the expacs. But i'm talking more about back when the expacs were first new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    Question for those of you that have already played BDO on beta or in other regions or whatever.

Is the leveling path linear or does it have branches? like for example is it like WoW or GW2 where you can be level 10 but you have 3 or 4 zones to choose from? like how you can choose to go to Westfall, Darkshore, Loch Modan or Bloodmyst Isle. Or is the leveling path linear like SWTOR where you go from Hutta/Korriban Drummond Kaas, Balmorra, Nar Shadaa, Tatooine and the same path all the way to level cap no matter what? (only talking about open world questing not questing via dungeons or pvp).

And if it does have branching leveling paths is it limited or does it happen at all level brackets? limited like Wildstar which has two zone options at level 3-7, two options at 7-15 but from then onwards its just 1 leveling path until level cap. OR does the branching paths happen at all level again similar to WoW where even at 25-30 you can choose between 3 zones, then at 30-35 you have 4 zones, 35-40 you have 3 zones. And even in expac areas you had Netherstorm or SMV, HF or Borean, IC or SP, Hyjal or Vashjr, Valley and K-Rang. I know that increased xp rates have allowed us to reach the level cap for the old expacs well before the last quest zones for the expacs. But i'm talking more about back when the expacs were first new.
    Hmm, leveling in Black Desert is a bit different. There are quests, but they aren't XP quests. They reward not level experience but node experience and the like. You will not see a monster's healthbar until after you've killed enough of them and "learned" all that you can from them. When you first log in a "black spirit" will talk to you and be your guide and point you to where you could go but mostly you can just fuck off and do whatever you want.

Level xp is gained from killing monsters at your own or slightly above your own level. If you choose to kill the mobs the quests suggest or if you go off and kill whatever is up to you, really. After level 50 you reach a softcap and leveling becomes really, really hard. Before that it is rather straight forward. So the story of the zones and such aren't learnt through long questchains; you yourself at your own initiative have to talk to all NPCs you see. They all have a story to tell you, some which will lead onto quests. Some NPCs you won't be able to talk to until you've learned more.

So I guess... it is sort of linear but not? The questchain leads you through the lands, but you can also just do whatever you want.
    Last edited by Boxilot; 2016-02-14 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paluna View Post
    From my extremely limited understanding its basically like an even more bare bones version of GW2's endgame, in that there really isn't one.