Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    How about one color for all gear - green/blue/purple is an outdated concept already

    I'm raiding hardmodes (just to stop all who tell me that I'm a LFR-only player and should try the "hard stuff" before making suggestions) and I would like to see the whole gear be one color for all gear.

    We have the itemlevel to see if it's good or bad. green/blue/purple lost its meaning long ago (purple = loot you only see very seldom, blue = loot that that is rare and uncommon). Make all gear green. From the first Level 1 robe up to the level 600 cloak from the prince. Just all green (or purple if you like that color better).

    The only relevant thing today is a) itemlevel and stats b) design (my Hunter is wearing Lev70 pvp style for that reason)

    We already play a game where loot that is hard to get like rare pets, rare funitems and rare transmogitems are often of blue quality while you can buy epic loot for gold or some easy-to-farm points or get a pair of epic boots for doing 1 point of damage on a worldboss a few seconds before some other raid is killing him.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2013-05-03 at 01:48 PM.




  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    We have the itemlevel to see if it's good or bad. green/blue/purple lost its meaning long ago (purple = loot you only see very seldom, blue = loot that that is rare and uncommon). Make all gear green. From the first Level 1 robe up to the level 600 cloak from the prince. Just all green (or purple if you like that color better).
    While that is what the colors represented long ago, that is not what they represent now. It's not what they represented for a long time.

    Gear color is a badge representing PROGRESS.

    When you are leveling, you get mostly green gear, with some rare blues thrown in from long questing arcs. This is the leveling round. You get the lower end magic items.

    Once you reach the end, most of the gear you find in dungeons, quests, and some purchasable, turn out to be blue. This means you are in the level capped area but not yet "END GAME". You still have some work to do.

    Purple is the end, when you have all purples you feel like you are in the end area. As a casual player, when I deck all my slots in purple gear, I am officially at a point I can put down the control or concentrate on another character, REGARDLESS of the iLevel. I don't care about being bleeding edge, but I do care about having the gear that represents the end game color.

    It's a very psychological thing. Removing the colors will just create a huge amount of problems with players mental progress.

  3. #3
    Which arbiter defines this as outdated exactly?
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  4. #4
    Why not just ignore the colors if there are useless ?

    I see no point in doing this.
    Made by mountandpetlover, big thanks !

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I'm raiding hardmodes (just to stop all who tell me that I'm a LFR-only player and should try the "hard stuff" before making suggestions) and I would like to see the whole gear be one color for all gear.

    We have the itemlevel to see if it's good or bad. green/blue/purple lost its meaning long ago (purple = loot you only see very seldom, blue = loot that that is rare and uncommon). Make all gear green. From the first Level 1 robe up to the level 600 cloak from the prince. Just all green (or purple if you like that color better).

    The only relevant thing today is a) itemlevel and stats b) design (my Hunter is wearing Lev70 pvp style for that reason)

    We already play a game where loot that is hard to get like rare pets, rare funitems and rare transmogitems are often of blue quality while you can buy epic loot for gold or some easy-to-farm points or get a pair of epic boots for doing 1 point of damage on a worldboss a few seconds before some other raid is killing him.
    Lets get to the facts, back when cata was announced, they removed the stats boost for epic gear, the only diference betwin rare and epic was that rare gear (blue) was capped to itlvl 348 and the epic quality gear started at itlvl 353 (the Zandalari dungeons gear)... I haven't been in Pandaria, currently playing a trial acc, but what i've seen here in MMO-C is that the diference betwin both rare and epic, at this moment is none, unlike the WoTLK were you could see diferences from epic itlvl 200 gear and for rare loot with the same itlvl...

    I would suport your claim, the problem is that i believe a lot of people would not enjoy it, and green (common) gear needs to remain as a leveling gear, because its pointeless to provide questers with same quality gear as raiders... The feeling of progression is still a very important part of the game .

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    While that is what the colors represented long ago, that is not what they represent now. It's not what they represented for a long time.
    Gear color is a badge representing PROGRESS.
    Then why do I get epics while doing this progress? Then back to greens, then blues again, that epics, then for a while blues are the best (better than epics) and then you get tons of epics but some really rare items from rare mobs are blue again. So no, it lost that meaning long ago.




  7. #7
    I completely agree with this. The only thing we need to differentiate quality of gear is ilvl and stats. The whole idea of having different color gear for different qualities or statuses of gear is dead now. As soon as you can start raiding LFR, it's not long before all your gear is purple. Then, you simply switch out purple gear for purple gear until the next expansion comes out. So, just make all gear purple.. You can still tell easily what level the gear is by looking at the ilvl. The feeling of progression comes from seeing your stats go up and seeing your dps/hps/whatever increasing from better gear, not going from one purple to another purple.

  8. #8
    What's outdated in wow is the amount of colors defining gear rarity. In vanilla you had quest greens, you had dungeon blues and you had raid purples. Worked out ok because there were 3 easily defined colors and 3 easily defined paths of progression. Now we have way more. We have quests, green. We have dungeons, blue. We have heroic dungeons - also blue? We have raids - purple. We have 3 tiers of raids, but only 1 color to rep all 3? What?

    Sorry but wow's behind the times on this one. They need to copy a more recent MMO like GW2 that has more tiers of rarity on their gear. having 3 + 1 elite was ok in vanilla but this isn't vanilla anymore, the game has expanded but the gear rarity colors have stayed stagnant like its 2004.

  9. #9
    What is the benefit in changing this? All I see this bringing to the table is forum rage for Blizzard. Zero gameplay implications either way not sure its worth any time to go about making a change and then explaining it to the masses who wouldn't appreciate it. Their time is probably better spent elsewhere.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I'm raiding hardmodes (just to stop all who tell me that I'm a LFR-only player and should try the "hard stuff" before making suggestions) and I would like to see the whole gear be one color for all gear.

    We have the itemlevel to see if it's good or bad. green/blue/purple lost its meaning long ago (purple = loot you only see very seldom, blue = loot that that is rare and uncommon). Make all gear green. From the first Level 1 robe up to the level 600 cloak from the prince. Just all green (or purple if you like that color better).

    The only relevant thing today is a) itemlevel and stats b) design (my Hunter is wearing Lev70 pvp style for that reason)

    We already play a game where loot that is hard to get like rare pets, rare funitems and rare transmogitems are often of blue quality while you can buy epic loot for gold or some easy-to-farm points or get a pair of epic boots for doing 1 point of damage on a worldboss a few seconds before some other raid is killing him.
    See if you make 1 color for all (let say white), then you will have elites demanding they add a grey color for the RF, because only they should get white. The fact is most elites WoW players can't read, they look at icons and colors, because if they could Purple wouldn't mean anything, and ilevel would.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2013-05-03 at 03:39 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    While that is what the colors represented long ago, that is not what they represent now. It's not what they represented for a long time.

    Gear color is a badge representing PROGRESS.

    When you are leveling, you get mostly green gear, with some rare blues thrown in from long questing arcs. This is the leveling round. You get the lower end magic items.

    Once you reach the end, most of the gear you find in dungeons, quests, and some purchasable, turn out to be blue. This means you are in the level capped area but not yet "END GAME". You still have some work to do.

    Purple is the end, when you have all purples you feel like you are in the end area. As a casual player, when I deck all my slots in purple gear, I am officially at a point I can put down the control or concentrate on another character, REGARDLESS of the iLevel. I don't care about being bleeding edge, but I do care about having the gear that represents the end game color.

    It's a very psychological thing. Removing the colors will just create a huge amount of problems with players mental progress.
    I could not have said it more eloquently or clear than that. I'll second this statement!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    We have the itemlevel to see if it's good or bad. green/blue/purple lost its meaning long ago (purple = loot you only see very seldom)
    Not really. I mean sure, rep vendors didn't have all purple gear when you were exalted, sure, but purples dropped from all raids, crafters crafted em, rep vendors did have some. PvP did too, but dear god, was that the grind of grinds.

    Unless you were on a new or low pop server, they weren't that rare.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    What's outdated in wow is the amount of colors defining gear rarity. In vanilla you had quest greens, you had dungeon blues and you had raid purples. Worked out ok because there were 3 easily defined colors and 3 easily defined paths of progression. Now we have way more. We have quests, green. We have dungeons, blue. We have heroic dungeons - also blue? We have raids - purple. We have 3 tiers of raids, but only 1 color to rep all 3? What?

    Sorry but wow's behind the times on this one. They need to copy a more recent MMO like GW2 that has more tiers of rarity on their gear. having 3 + 1 elite was ok in vanilla but this isn't vanilla anymore, the game has expanded but the gear rarity colors have stayed stagnant like its 2004.
    That's what the green writing under the name is for, to tell you what quality the gear is. That's why the colors are useless. Heroic gear will still say Heroic, raid finder will still say Raid Finder. I'd much rather that than having seven different colors of gear.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    That's what the green writing under the name is for, to tell you what quality the gear is. That's why the colors are useless. Heroic gear will still say Heroic, raid finder will still say Raid Finder. I'd much rather that than having seven different colors of gear.
    Yeah, making everything the same color then qualifying what it really is totally makes sense over having different rarity levels of gear. lol...

    Sorry, I disagree completely. The notion of having the LFR thing under it is totally stupid. Why not have Quest under my blue item, to make sure I know its a quest blue vs a craftable blue? So dumb. Just have a proper amount of rarity colors like pretty much every mmo that isn't 10 years old.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Yeah, making everything the same color then qualifying what it really is totally makes sense over having different rarity levels of gear. lol...

    Sorry, I disagree completely. The notion of having the LFR thing under it is totally stupid. Why not have Quest under my blue item, to make sure I know its a quest blue vs a craftable blue? So dumb. Just have a proper amount of rarity colors like pretty much every mmo that isn't 10 years old.
    And I can say the exact same thing about having 7+ different colors of gear, it's stupid. Especially since multiple levels of the gear are the same exact gear with modified stats. Why bother having different colors for the three levels of tier? Just have one color and a subtext indicating its level. It's got the same name, the same set bonuses, why would it have a different color?

  16. #16
    I agree people make far too big of a deal over the color of the text the name of their gear is written in. Sadly far too many people can't do math or are too dumb to know what gear is best. Having different colors while far from perfect will help a few of those that can't figure it out and keep the others happy. Why people care much one way or the other is odd to say the least. The only way to see any of this is to open a character sheet up and mouse over the items to read the name. This is something you never really need to do and certainly don't have to do enough it warrants a massive switch of any sort.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  17. #17
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,376
    I made a post about this yesterday in the other longer thread about GC's thoughts on how gear color can push people out of LFR. I'll just requote it here and ask for your apologies in advance for not rewriting it in some other way. It addresses the topic and explains why there's a difference between leaving things as they are and ignoring the colors and removing them entirely:

    Resolving the issue by leaving the color scheme as is or by removing the color scheme altogether are clearly different things. They are not at all equal outcomes. The thread argument at its most basic can be simply stated as "since gear color is the point of contention do the colors matter any longer".

    Removing them altogether removes the need for the discussion. Agreeing that they don't matter but leaving them in doesn't change anything and the argument will continue to arise, mostly brought up by players who judge their self-worth by the color of the gear they own. Judging from some of the responses one color versus another is a primary way of determining one's place in a perceived social pecking order. I can't really see that that adds any value to the game as it actually seems to be a mechanism for separating people. Too many people use it as a simple method of determining their own superiority to others. Really the same thing applies to "Raidfinder" tagged gear. "Oh, Raidfinder. Well, no soup for you" or the raiding equivalent. Actual competence takes a back seat to simple labeling which can often be misleading.

    As such, green/blue/purple doesn't serve much purpose outside of that that I can see in the modern game today. I can't imagine that any one of us would turn down a true upgrade simply because it was blue. Hence why I believe that the entire thing should be scrapped as an old and outdated idea that bears little relevance to the game as it progresses and possibly may be doing more harm than good at this point.

    Most people now view their drops and evaluate purchases in terms of "is this better than what I have" color be damned. So if colors really don't matter, remove them entirely.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  18. #18
    We have a system that works and isn't broke. Lets changea and fix it with a system that removes features and an easy color coded system for new players! Why? Because fuck logic thats why!
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

  19. #19
    fine as it is. pointless change is a total waste of time, and POINTLESS.

  20. #20
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,188
    OBJECTION!

    I disagree that the color system is outdated. Gear "levels" is a concept still used in games today. For instance, ToR has white, green, blue, and orange. It's a simple way to show why gear of the same required level has different stat weights. It's especially important at level caps.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •