DW, 2h, or UH... will weapon makeup up the diff?

Hey guys, need some advice...

Just leveled up the dk a week ago to dps for my raid.
    Now i know 2h is supposed to be top with UH FB rotation up there on some fights and then normal UH and DW a little behind.
    Was wondering how far behind DW is Because i only have http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/94592 but i picked up http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/96004 off jinrok and have a LFR OH.

Now i dont know if that higher ilvl is worth going dw for with the weapon or what i should do
    iv played around with each but i dont think im used to any specs enough to really do some good testing...

dont know how to post item links here sorry
    Last edited by Wiiheal; 2013-05-03 at 07:03 PM.
    Wiiheals - Trollbane

Unholy is averaging about 20k+ higher per fight in T15. That being said weapons really determine what you should play to maximize your current DPS. If you want to have the most damage output possible, use the spec which utilizes your best weapon(s)...DW Frost (1H) or Unholy (2H).
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sathir, Dreadlord of Greenmist
    AKA Bigokk from FFXI

Read My Lips: No New Content -Mike Morhaime, 2016 US Presidential Candidate
    WWCGD (What Would Ghostcrawler Do)? Unsub.

Deleted
    With a TF norm 1h and a LFR OH I would think you're going to get much more out of DW than a 502 2h, 22 ilvl's on the MH should give you a significant boost.

If you're not convinced then just simming your setup with the various weapons (and don't forget to change reforging as it makes all the difference) will give you an answer. Don't forget to add AMS soaking and light movement to your sims if you do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiiheal View Post
    Hey guys, need some advice...

Just leveled up the dk a week ago to dps for my raid.
    Now i know 2h is supposed to be top with UH FB rotation up there on some fights and then normal UH and DW a little behind.
    Was wondering how far behind DW is Because i only have http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/94592 but i picked up http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/96004 off jinrok and have a LFR OH.

Now i dont know if that higher ilvl is worth going dw for with the weapon or what i should do
    iv played around with each but i dont think im used to any specs enough to really do some good testing...

dont know how to post item links here sorry
    Secondly it isn't just the weapons I must say. There are around 2-3 trinkets that simply pull Unholy and other melee ahead especially Warriors. The first is the Shadow Pan Trinket that you can pick up for 1750 Valor Points. The 2nd is the one that drops of Jin in ToT. That is the one that makes FB and Unholy in general really strong.

But like most said weapons do play an important part as well, however determining between 2-H Frost and 2-H Unholy is simply depending on which trinkets you have on you.

I would probably go DW Frost at least till you have both those trinkets. If you do have both those trinkets then I'd switch to Unholy.

I have a weapon question, and I don't think it warrants making a new thread...

I got a RF sha axe a while ago and put my quest gem in it. Last week, I got the normal version of the axe. Technically, the RF version has more strength, so I'm using that.

My question is... is it worth nuking 7k to buy another gem or should I just keep waiting to get something from ToT?

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I have a weapon question, and I don't think it warrants making a new thread...

I got a RF sha axe a while ago and put my quest gem in it. Last week, I got the normal version of the axe. Technically, the RF version has more strength, so I'm using that.

My question is... is it worth nuking 7k to buy another gem or should I just keep waiting to get something from ToT?
    Weapon damage is more important than strength.
    It's could've and would've. Not could of and would of. Not sure when "of" started meaning "have," but everyone who thinks it does needs to go back to school.

I too have a question about which spec is stronger at low levels, posting here to consolidate threads.
    I recently continued my benched DK ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arkland/simple ), the only thing going for me right now is a few heroic pieces, some 476 pvp gear, and Bloodmoon (ilv 502 2-hander).
    As MotFW Frost, I can sustain about 75k on the dummies, and I fluctuate between 80-100k on bosses depending on boss fights/Army/lust/rune procs etc.
    Not really fond of the proc-based rotation but I'm starting to get used to it.
    As Unholy I'm doing much less than this, even w/ the decent weapon upgrade. I can barely sustain 60k w/ cooldowns (excluding Army), and on boss fights I'll be lucky to break 70-75k, even w/ lust.
    Please note that I'm still gearing up, not gemmed to perfection nor enchanted since I'm quickly replacing gear, and my rotation is pretty solid.
    Question: Is Unholy that much weaker than Frost at low gear levels, and it starts to scale better w/ more gear? I really prefer the more fluid rotation UH has.

Deleted
    just to make it perfectly clear the differences in spec damage are not just weapon based, unholy scales far better with gear and as a result in full bis gear unholy willl be the top dk dps spec, at 500 ilvl frost 2h is top with dual wield not far behind (less than 1k dps) and unholy waaaay behind that. at around 522 ilvl dual wield tails off and 2h/unholy are within 1k dps of each other. the main reason for this is the fact that both frost specs are heavily reliant on weapon damage whereas a good chunk of your dps in unholy is based on dot damage (calculated by snapshot of stats rather than weapon damage)

to OP with the weapons you have run dual wield until you get a better 2h =)

@Aginorr, wow so even at ilv 500 Unholy is still "waaay" behind? I'm only at 468 lol guess I have a looong way to go before I should even consider switching. By then, I would be fond of Frost and be clumsy w/ Unholy. Thank you for the answer!

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 07:34 AM ----------

How about Festerblight-ing? I'm working on getting another Str-proc trink (Lessons of the Darkmaster 4k+ str proc, will replace with Shadow Pan trinket 8k str proc later), and planning on race changing to Orc soon (another 2.9k-ish AP), and also raising my Alchemy to supply me alot of strength potions. Would that close the gap at my gear level, or would 2h Frost be still way ahead?

i've been toying with all different specs lately, starting with frost 1h: reforge all to mastery for best effect, at boss fights i did 100-140k dps depending on fight after that i tried 2h frost, reforged to haste for best effect and found myself doing 90-130k, last but not least i tried unholy, which works best for me (personally), i do around 110-160k dps. i especially like the nice aoe you get from it, though frost aoe is nice too but it's just preference i guess. (got the 502 2h from last boss tot and 2 502 1hs)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    @Aginorr, wow so even at ilv 500 Unholy is still "waaay" behind? I'm only at 468 lol guess I have a looong way to go before I should even consider switching. By then, I would be fond of Frost and be clumsy w/ Unholy. Thank you for the answer!

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 07:34 AM ----------

How about Festerblight-ing? I'm working on getting another Str-proc trink (Lessons of the Darkmaster 4k+ str proc, will replace with Shadow Pan trinket 8k str proc later), and planning on race changing to Orc soon (another 2.9k-ish AP), and also raising my Alchemy to supply me alot of strength potions. Would that close the gap at my gear level, or would 2h Frost be still way ahead?
    2H frost will be ahead. The problem is it's generally easier to get one higher ilvl weapon than get a full set of high ilvl gear. As most of your gear is dungeon/pvp based then you don't really have optimal stats to take advantage of unholy... You also have a 502 weapon, which compared to the rest of your gear is rather good. It's a basic (and likely flawed) way of looking at it but:

Unholy - Scales better with gear/stats, does well on encounters where you can spread diseases to adds that move out of (what would be, as frost) cleave range. Supposedly surpasses 2H frost's single damage (festerblight) with a relative ilvl of around 510+ (depending on encounter mechanics) but has good sustained AOE.

DW frost - Requires a nice mix of decent weapons and gear. At the sub 510 ilvl it's basically comparable (single target-wise) to 2H or unholy but does really well on encounters where an additional target is within cleave range (due to passive aoe/cleave from howling blast) and situations that require some quick, bursty AOE.

2H frost - Arguably the easiest to play. Very dependant on having a decent 2H weapon. Still great for single target damage encounters (normal megeara, normal iron qon etc) and has some nice, bursty target switching. On par with unholy until higher ilvls.

At 470ilvl (with a 502 weapon) IMHO 2H frost will win-out. Festerblight is dependant on gear/stats/trinket procs and (in basic terms) you're applying buffed diseases that take advantage of all your stats at that current point. You keep them rolling, sacrificing scourge strikes for festering strikes. You need to have a certain level of gear for it to be worth losing scourge strikes and, seeing as your weapon is 30ilvls higher than your average ilvl then I doubt it's even worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    2H frost will be ahead. The problem is it's generally easier to get one higher ilvl weapon than get a full set of high ilvl gear. As most of your gear is dungeon/pvp based then you don't really have optimal stats to take advantage of unholy... You also have a 502 weapon, which compared to the rest of your gear is rather good. It's a basic (and likely flawed) way of looking at it but:

Unholy - Scales better with gear/stats, does well on encounters where you can spread diseases to adds that move out of (what would be, as frost) cleave range. Supposedly surpasses 2H frost's single damage (festerblight) with a relative ilvl of around 510+ (depending on encounter mechanics) but has good sustained AOE.

DW frost - Requires a nice mix of decent weapons and gear. At the sub 510 ilvl it's basically comparable (single target-wise) to 2H or unholy but does really well on encounters where an additional target is within cleave range (due to passive aoe/cleave from howling blast) and situations that require some quick, bursty AOE.

2H frost - Arguably the easiest to play. Very dependant on having a decent 2H weapon. Still great for single target damage encounters (normal megeara, normal iron qon etc) and has some nice, bursty target switching. On par with unholy until higher ilvls.

At 470ilvl (with a 502 weapon) IMHO 2H frost will win-out. Festerblight is dependant on gear/stats/trinket procs and (in basic terms) you're applying buffed diseases that take advantage of all your stats at that current point. You keep them rolling, sacrificing scourge strikes for festering strikes. You need to have a certain level of gear for it to be worth losing scourge strikes and, seeing as your weapon is 30ilvls higher than your average ilvl then I doubt it's even worth it.
    basically this ^
    in asnwer to your festerblight question OP i wouldnt bother its a tricky playstyle to master and requires around 510+ to even compete. with your gear and weapon definately go 2h frost, sit back and enjoy the big numbers

@Vmagik thanks for the guideline! Yeah guess I'll stick to 2H Frost for now.