Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"All you need for dungeons is Mesmers, Guardian, and DPS", What does Guardian do?

I know there are multiple ways to go about dungeons and it's completely viable to exclude Mesmers and Guardians and still easily clear a dungeon.

With the obligatory disclaimer out of the way:

I'm relatively new to dungeon-running and the playing Guardian class and want to know what cookie-cutter abilities am I "supposed" to use when paired up with Mesmers (or anybody for that matter) in dungeons.

Right now I'm running a 0/0/30/30/10 build which is pretty close to the majority of PvE tanky builds I've seen looking at various videos and guides. I use Knight equipment with soldier runes. My weapons are greatsword and hammer.

Check out GW2Guru.com and thier PVE Guardian forums. Lots of information there. That's where I get most of my builds and play style advice from.

All you need is 5 warriors.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...uardian-build/ this build, usually you'll bring "projectile defense" = wall of reflection/shield of absorption/... or shouts to bring aegis/prot/stability (depends on the fights).

You'll want to use scepter in one set though since it's really strong.

Deleted
    You need mesmers? They must have been made useful somehow then... perhaps elite skills? Otherwise I heard that outside spvp, mesmers never really brought anything to the table
    Oh, except portals, helping people with jumping puzzles, but portals cant have that much of a use in dungeons or?

Deleted
    Ah, yea time warp, would have guessed :P I mostly used moa in spvp, forgot a bit about that one =) Just because I love putting pet necros into moa shape, all pets dies and are put on cd :P Feels so good, and not like it should be possible to do. However, seems like it's working as intended and no complaints about if for some strange reason.

Shatter mesmers can do insane amounts of burst dmg, TW and feedback also can do shit tons of dmg and then we get illusion of life boon strip/share meaning that a mes+guard+war team can have perma might/fury/vigor/regen (and nice uptime on prot) add to this that all three profs bring vulnerablity (and mes is good at bursting it up) and you know why it's the bread and butter of all serious dungeon groups.

(8*mind wrack in 2s=close to 30k dmg)

Deleted
    I play a Guardian but I give a shit about what other builds people are going with.

Guild Wars 2 dungeons are not hard, people are just (excuse my language here) dumb, they can't think for themselves and say that they need this profession and certain build to make it.

My Guardian is a condition clearer with shouts and a small amount of healing and damage, 0/0/10/30/30. I run with full Soldier (Power, Toughness, Vitality) gear, I have no interest at all to run with Berserker.

My point of this rant was; do whatever you want to do, you shouldn't really feel the need, or be forced to go with a certain trait line because you must fit the other professions better.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that people can't think for themselves, zerker meta is just simply the best and most efficient way to clear a dungeon.. I mean, logically you can't even argue against me on that since more damage = faster clear. It's not like you're sacrificing your skills to take zerker gear, you are still just as effective in that respect but you are gimping your dmg in P/T/V gear. I'm pretty sure no one thinks you need zerker gear to beat a dungeon, it's just preferred.

Anything other than zerker is entry-level that should get yo used to the game, after that... it's your choice yes whether or not you want to hamper your group.. doesn't bother me either way I just wanted to point some things out since you know, I'm one of those people that can't think for themselves... hah. IMO, people should get this through their heads so my PuG runs would go faster but then that would require people to dodge and use their brain so, continue on with your crutch vitality and toughness... and I'll continue to be a lemming

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    It's not that people can't think for themselves, zerker meta is just simply the best and most efficient way to clear a dungeon.. I mean, logically you can't even argue against me on that since more damage = faster clear.
    If the gameplay of a meaningless computer game has become such a dull chore (farming a dungeon) that it actually matters to someone having a few mintues shaved off a run, then logically they should stop playing.
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2013-05-05 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zurgs View Post
    If the gameplay of a meaningless computer game has become such a dull chore (farming a dungeon) that it actually matters to someone having a few mintues shaved off a run, then logically they should stop playing.
    this is such a BS argument. First off it's not "minutes" it's minutes * X times you run the dungeon. For me that used to be hours upon hours in a day. So if I did 3h of CoF farm I'd get 30 runs done (6min/run) vs a pug group who does it in what 8-9min? For easy calculations let's go with 9min, that's 20runs which means that in 3h time I do 50% more runs. If you want the same amount of runs you'll have to spend 270min(4.5h) so basically I have an hour and a half more time to do other stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    um tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    this is such a BS argument. First off it's not "minutes" it's minutes * X times you run the dungeon. For me that used to be hours upon hours in a day.
    The question here is: If you are enjoying the activity, why does it matter how long it takes? If you aren't enjoying the activity, why are you doing it in the first place?

It can make sense in some progression-oriented games, where you need to go through a grind to unlock the actual content and want to get that grind out of the way fast, but GW2 doesn't really have content that is unlocked that way (high level fractals being a semi-exception, but not CoF).

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    The question here is: If you are enjoying the activity, why does it matter how long it takes? If you aren't enjoying the activity, why are you doing it in the first place?
    Because if I can do it faster I can do it more. An other alternative because I like doing it fast(er). Yet another alternative would be that I like parts 1-4-5 out of 5 'sections' but hate 2-3 meaning that if I do it faster I can increase my enjoyment of the things I like.

What are you getting out grinding this dungeon on repeat?
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

What are you getting out of playing a video game? What are you getting out of reading this forum?

All those questions are meaningless.

Deleted
    this is such a BS argument. First off it's not "minutes" it's minutes * X times you run the dungeon. For me that used to be hours upon hours in a day. So if I did 3h of CoF farm I'd get 30 runs done (6min/run) vs a pug group who does it in what 8-9min? For easy calculations let's go with 9min, that's 20runs which means that in 3h time I do 50% more runs. If you want the same amount of runs you'll have to spend 270min(4.5h) so basically I have an hour and a half more time to do other stuff.
    Congrats on getting so upset when you hear the truth you resort to pointing out typos, which would be a little less amusing if it had not come from someone who can't even start a sentence with a capital letter.

My argument is fine, you just don't like the truth when it is pointed out to you, most people who think shaving a couple of minutes of a dungeon run is important are only bothered because they are bored to death of it and do not find it fun, that they spend hours and hours doing an activity that is dull in what is meant to be a form of entertainment, speaks volumes.

It is pretty simple, a couple of minutes off a dungeon run is not an issue for anyone that is having fun, if you aren't having fun then why are you playing?
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2013-05-05 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zurgs View Post
    It is amusing that someone who can't even start a sentence with a capital letter gets so upset when he hears the truth that he starts pointing out typos, grats.
    Where did I do this? Also what you just did is against the forum rules so please refrain from doing it in the future.

My argument is fine, you just don't like the truth when it is pointed out to you, most people who think shaving a couple of minutes of a dungeon run is important are only bothered because they are bored to death of it and do not find it fun, that they spend hours and hours doing an activity that is dull in what is meant to be a form of entertainment, speaks volumes.
    Not really read this
    Because if I can do it faster I can do it more. An other alternative because I like doing it fast(er). Yet another alternative would be that I like parts 1-4-5 out of 5 'sections' but hate 2-3 meaning that if I do it faster I can increase my enjoyment of the things I like.
    I actually like doing it faster, I like this a lot and I want to do it as much as possible (which creates this lovely bond of enjoyment).
    It is pretty simple, a couple of minutes off a dungeon run is not an issue for anyone that is having fun, if you aren't having fun then why are you playing?
    Already addressed this.

Deleted
    Where did I do this? Also what you just did is against the forum rules so please refrain from doing it in the future.
    Where you did it - read the post I replied to. As for breaking forum rules, I did nothing different to you, also newsflash you are not a moderator.

Not really read this
    I actually like doing it faster, I like this a lot and I want to do it as much as possible (which creates this lovely bond of enjoyment).

Already addressed this.
    Which changes nothing unless you can't understand what 'most' means.