A movie out of atoms

http://www.wimp.com/smallestmovie/

Honestly, it is about 8-10 years ago since i heared about the basics of atoms and molecules in school, but i didnt even think it would be remotly possible to acutally see real atoms until i saw that. And even then i checked multiple sources regarding this movie but it does seem like it is really legit.
    I wonder how long did i miss that information? If i remember correctly in school i never heared that thats possible at all.

Edit: is it even like that? Or is it some kind of visualisation?
    Last edited by kakihara; 2013-05-04 at 12:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    http://www.wimp.com/smallestmovie/

Honestly, it is about 8-10 years ago since i heared about the basics of atoms and molecules in school, but i didnt even think it would be remotly possible to acutally see real atoms until i saw that. And even then i checked multiple sources regarding this movie but it does seem like it is really legit.
    I wonder how long did i miss that information? If i remember correctly in school i never heared that thats possible at all.
    Scanning tunneling microscopes don't actually see atoms as much as feel them. If I remember correctly, they have an extremely thin probe that can detect individual atoms which is then processed into visual sense by a computer.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...1/gen01122.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scannin...ing_microscope

I'm not aware of any microscope powerful enough to view an atom traditionally, with light and lenses. Last I heard that's impossible, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2013-05-04 at 01:07 AM.
    Putin khuliyo

After reading a bit i found about the scanning tunneling microscopes too. And that atoms dont acutally have a colour because they are smaller then the wavelenght of light or something like that. and since to acutally see atoms you need light at least without some kind of new technology it isnt possible to really see atoms.
    So i guess "seeing" atoms that way is old news. Whats new about this video is that they can move single atoms i think.
    awesome stuff anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm not aware of any microscope powerful enough to view an atom traditionally, with light and lenses. Last I heard that's impossible, but I'm not sure.
    There also wouldn't be much to see, since atoms are pretty much empty space. To the best of our knowledge, electrons are point particles with no volume, so you couldn't even see those anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is the sort of thing that made me fall in love with science to begin with, a love I'm only just rediscovering after twelve years of boring-ass science classes taught by teachers with no love for the subject did a good job of blunting that sense of wonder in the world it fostered.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Stuff like that may had influenced me to be more into science too. I mean sure its nice to know how to calculate the speed of a pendulum, but it doesnt help to create curiosity. And if something bored you, chances are you wont dig deeper...

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that that's done, they can get back to calculating further digits of pi.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    Stuff like that may had influenced me to be more into science too. I mean sure its nice to know how to calculate the speed of a pendulum, but it doesnt help to create curiosity. And if something bored you, chances are you wont dig deeper...
    Calculating a pendulum's speed can be well and good if physics is your passion, that's just not where my interests lay. Now, geology and tectonic shifts, and how stars are born, live, and die, and how we are actively scouring the stars looking for another planet capable of sustaining human life through the Hubble Telescope and long-view telescopes on Earth?

Yeah, that stuff gives me a major science-on.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Calculating a pendulum's speed can be well and good if physics is your passion, that's just not where my interests lay. Now, geology and tectonic shifts, and how stars are born, live, and die, and how we are actively scouring the stars looking for another planet capable of sustaining human life through the Hubble Telescope and long-view telescopes on Earth?

Yeah, that stuff gives me a major science-on.
    I'm a sucker for two sciences: Biology and Astronomy. The first because it amazes me that a mass of Carbon/Hydrogen/Oxygen/and-then-some can not only form complex life, but intelligent life. And the second because the size and scale of the universe is mindboggling. I'm also a bit of a fan of atoms and their parts because they're mindbogglingly small, but quantum mechanics makes my head ache.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Surreal Fun Fact: Atoms are 99% empty space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    A photon of light will interact with an atom in one of three ways:

#1. It will pass through it as though it's not there; providing you with absolutely no information.
    #2. It will be reflected, changing it's direction (and possibly corrupting the information it gives you)
    #3. It will be absorbed, thus energizing the atom (by forcing an electron into a higher energy level, which only becomes perceptible after the electron falls back to a lower energy level, in which case it is detectable as a photon whose direction of travel is completely random, making it an equally unreliable source of information.

Light makes for a terrible detecting method on the atomic level. Which is where electron microscopy comes in.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    That really depends on which definition of empty you choose. The space between the electrons and the nucleus is full of quantum fluctuations and superposed electrons
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-05-04 at 06:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which isn't that fun when you realize that nothing in the universe takes up volume. Atoms are just discrete pockets of energy. The empty space between the electrons and the nucleus is a medium for extremely strong repulsive and attractive forces, which gives the atom a discrete shape and the illusion of being something with a volume.