Deleted

I assume they'll be changing the armor?

Hello everyone,

on the subject of the coming update to character models, I wonder, won't all items the items that we could possibly wear need to need to be remodeled? If the character models are to be changed in any significant way, then so will the armor need to be to fit the model. If not, then I'm it's slightly worrying to point out that, apart from the new animations, you won't be able to tell the difference between between the old race and the new race, if you're fully geared. The model for all gloves would need to change to fit the style of the arms that they might be working on, and if not, when you equip gloves, you'll look exactly the same as the old race. If they are, then I think we'll have a lot more to look at when the new changes come than most people think because I imagine that the looks of armor sets will slightly change to fit the new proportions. Tier sets with altered looks, etc. Another thought that occurred to me as I actually think about this is that people will probably be disappointing with the new models, simply because they can't run around naked. The new textures will be hidden behind old gear, so I assume that everyone will be helm-less until the novelty has worn off.

Thoughts? Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    They might have to remodel and fit a few items too.
    Those are the main things that are costing the amount of time because WoW has like 20000 items
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Why do you think it's taking so long?
    Aye mate

Well, most gear is just a texture, so they won't have to change that. I also doubt they have to change the 3D parts, because they just move with the texture and would fit on any model, just like they do now. The only thing they'll have to pay special attention to, are shoulders and helmets, because those are custom 3D pieces that might not fit well.

Only helms, shoulders and (only recently) belts even have their own models. Gloves and boots are part of the character model, not the item, same as robes.

Also, shoulders are merely resized, only helms have race and gender specific variants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Only helms, shoulders and (only recently) belts even have their own models. Gloves and boots are part of the character model, not the item, same as robes.

Also, shoulders are merely resized, only helms have race and gender specific variants.
    With the new models hopefully the rest get there own models in future gear.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a number of gloves, boots and belts, that are not just textures on the character model.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Well, most gear is just a texture, so they won't have to change that. I also doubt they have to change the 3D parts, because they just move with the texture and would fit on any model, just like they do now. The only thing they'll have to pay special attention to, are shoulders and helmets, because those are custom 3D pieces that might not fit well.
    You don't know much about 3D modeling or texture work do you? 'Most gear is just a texture' couldn't be more wrong. I cannot think of a single slot that is 'just a texture' apart from bracers and old plate leggings. Even belts nowadays have their own models. 'Some' legs and bracers, hardly 'most gear is just a texture'

Gloves are rarely just textures.

NOT A TEXTURE.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-05-04 at 10:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they actually change the mesh and the proportions they will have to re-fit gear models, yes. I assume it would be less work than doing it for a new race though, and I also assume they would have some sort of batch process to do the scaling of all models of a type with certain offsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    You don't know much about 3D modeling or texture work do you? 'Most gear is just a texture' couldn't be more wrong. I cannot think of a single slot that is 'just a texture' apart from bracers and old plate leggings. Even belts nowadays have their own models. 'Some' legs and bracers, hardly 'most gear is just a texture'
    I'm looking at my level 80 druid atm and the only 3D parts on her are the rims of the gloves and the shoulders (and the helmet, if I turn it on). So feet, legs, waist, wrist, hands and chest are all just textures. The Tier models and other special epics have more 3D parts, but 90% of the armor in WoW is not tier or high end epics.

NOT A TEXTURE.
    That's what I meant with 3D parts that move with the texture. You see, the hands and underarm are textures, with only the rim being 3D, which can fit on any arm, as it's just a cone. Same with boots and legs. The few 3D belts might need some tweaking, and shoulders and helmets.

Deleted
    Yes, that's probably the main reason why creating new character models is so time consuming. They have to scale every shoulder, head, hand, feet, and some belt pieces for all the new models.

Deleted
    oh yeah, I hope they do. Especially gloves and boots will need a rework. I would also love to not have flying shoulders and cloth to look like cloth, not plate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    oh yeah, I hope they do. Especially gloves and boots will need a rework. I would also love to not have flying shoulders and cloth to look like cloth, not plate.
    Wonder if they will fix the thing where your legs disappear until cloth robes. To anyone that hasn't seen that, you should check it out. It's just the feet and the robes take on the animation of the legs.

Gloves, boots, capes, sleeves, robes, "wrestler" belts and 'baggy' trousers are all a part of the actual model (this is called a "geoset") - they are not seperate things like helms and shoulders are.

So all of the above will be remade along with the character models, however Blizzard will just make them look as much like the original shapes as possible.

Those are the only noticeable ones and the ones that get new models. Chests and legs look the same whether it's cloth or plate, which sucks. Is it so hard to make plate a little bulky? Hopefully it'll be a big update to make WoW a "modern" game.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Given that the game was build that way, yes, it actually is that hard to make plate a little bulky.
    Gloves are rarely just textures.

NOT A TEXTURE.
    Nope, that's just a texture. See Nethersparks comment.
    Wonder if they will fix the thing where your legs disappear until cloth robes. To anyone that hasn't seen that, you should check it out. It's just the feet and the robes take on the animation of the legs.
    There's nothing broken there. They were simply built that way.