10+ Year Old Account

Linux Users general chat thread.

Rather than start a new thread for every version of Linux I thought I'd start a general Linux thread.

I've been trying out Fedora 15 which is the first distro to use Gnome 3. I've read through the reviews and it seems Gnome 3 is causing as much fuss as Ubuntu's Unity.

First things first, Fedora 15 found all my hardware on my laptop and I was lucky to have Gnome 3 actually work (I seem to be in the minority as loads can't get it to work on their hardware). It's a strange experience, as there is no desktop as we know it on Fedora 15. Each application when opened goes to a new workspace and I found it really confusing.

There is no minimise option at all, you either have a window open or you don't. And as for customising your desktop, there is no optionn for this either. I don't know if people will "get" Gnome 3 in it's present form, Unity is much more friendly, even if you didn't like it.

Another distro worth getting is Mepis 11, lovely looking and easy to use and set-up. It's a nice change from Ubuntu or Mint and seems to be much faster too.

Please share your thoughts or comments on any distros you've tried or use.

Not sure if serious with this thread...

Fedora 15 is two years old and no longer supported. 11 is current version of Mepis but that is also two years old.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

(incoming rant)

It seems all of the momentum that Linux has gained over the past 5 or so years has stagnated due to the newer desktop environments doing a 180 and regressing back to being unintuitive. KDE had a chance to fill the void, but it's still as clunky and bloated as ever.

While XFCE and e17 are simple, fluid and to the point, they're lacking the support of the others. I know environments are just a pretty coat of paint on top of Linux, it's still the first thing people engage when they first try Linux.

Ubuntu had the chance to go mainstream. It had everything a distro could hope for. A huge number of users, a gigantic (unpaid) team of developers and bug squashers, an incredibly stable backbone (Debian), automated .deb installers and a very tuned/user friendly Gnome 2 implementation. That all went out the window with Unity, unfortunately.

EDIT: OP is a spam bot, if you google the first few sentences you can see why. Oh well.
    Last edited by glo; 2013-05-04 at 10:41 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    EDIT: OP is a spam bot, if you google the first few sentences you can see why. Oh well.
    Strange... I wonder what possible reason would somebody have spamming that same post in all possible forums... Maybe those specific versions have some known vulnerability that can be used to hack into the computer or something...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cannot use the current version of Ubuntu... Every time I try and do something on it the x server crashes and reverts me back to the login screen... I am using Mint and loving it. Overall all though I have very little experience with Linux and sadly with gaming I am still on windows. Though with Wine there are many work arounds but it can still be a pain lol. What is XFCE and E17 based off in linux? Or are they just new and their own thing?