Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Warlock or Mage?

My guild are currently in recrutting for our raid team, we only have one more spot left and it will go to a warlock or a mage. We are aiming to be semi hardcore. What would be best for out last spot in our raid team, will a mage do it better than a warlock this tier or?

Can't tell you unless you tell us what the rest of your group consists of.

Deleted
    As a mage ill sadly say: Warlock

Pretty even as of now, unless buffs/nerfs in 5.3 - 5.4, Mage will probably be top, or over the top next tier since they scale like hell with gear... But why not both?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikdru View Post
    My guild are currently in recrutting for our raid team, we only have one more spot left and it will go to a warlock or a mage. We are aiming to be semi hardcore. What would be best for out last spot in our raid team, will a mage do it better than a warlock this tier or?
    Warlocks have cookies. Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by handoverfizt View Post
    Warlocks have cookies. Nuff said
    Cookies and magic super jump gates. Having at least 1 lock is really good.

Mages bring a Lust, int buff, and crit buff all of which you can get elsewhere. They're a solid dps once you have all your utility covered, but sadly they don't bring much to the team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    they don't bring much to the team.
    What say you? Mages bring ... FOOOD

Not to derail but hunter they can move while pew pewing plus 25% AP buff

Assuming you have a shaman for lust/hero (or BM hunter with a corehound...), I'd go with a Warlock. Cookies can be the difference between eating dirt and collecting loot. The gate portals have their uses on a few fights as well, namely Iron Qon comes to mind. Played by equally skilled players, they will both bring top notch DPS to your raid though, so you're better off choosing around what buffs your group needs. The raid comp tool here on MMO-Champ is amazing for that.

Deleted
    We already have every buff coverede atleast crit, stamina and a hero, we just miss spellpower

Mages look best on paper, but pretty much every fight this tier has a very Warlock friendly situation and they generally pull higher damage done then the mages on most fights. Don't judge classes based on simcraft, tailor to your raids needs. There is almost no reason to bring a mage over a warlock if your raid already has hero.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Agga View Post
    What say you? Mages bring ... FOOOD
    Last time I ate mage food was in Wotlk I think.

OT: Roll ele shaman.

I'm surprised no one said the player that performs better but...yeah.

You could always evaluate each, see who consistently pulls better numbers, stays alive, follows mechanics ect.
    D3 - Aggs 60 Barbarian | Paladin | Warlock | Shaman | Death Knight | Warrior |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jetersky View Post
    Assuming you have a shaman for lust/hero (or BM hunter with a corehound...), I'd go with a Warlock. Cookies can be the difference between eating dirt and collecting loot. The gate portals have their uses on a few fights as well, namely Iron Qon comes to mind. Played by equally skilled players, they will both bring top notch DPS to your raid though, so you're better off choosing around what buffs your group needs. The raid comp tool here on MMO-Champ is amazing for that.
    Raiding at a relatively hardcore level, very very few people actively use the healthstones. Very few. Incredibly few. That's obviously a mistake, but my point is; the healthstones are not a gamebreaking by sitting in your inventory, but as hard as the dps requirements are on many fights in Trollduar, the crit buff could mean the difference between a wipe and a kill.

Both classes bring lots of amazing utility, overall I'd say the warlock brings more.

Honestly, a warlock. Mages are designed for themselves and not anyone else. If you have hero/BL covered, then get a lock. Healthstones are a huge boost to any raid, and I really don't know what we would do, if we didn't have Demonic Gateway in Iron Qon.

I have to add that I mained a mage for years, up until MoP. (not playing lock though)

Deleted
    Warlock, op is op

If you want to play something fun, play a warlock.
    If you want utility, play a warlock.
    If you want high personal DPS, play a warlock.

If you want portals, play a warlock with a hearthstone set to the panda hub.

Given equal players and having all buffs covered, a warlock would be the better option. On average, they seem to beat mages on most heroic ToT fights and they also bring healthstones and gateways (great for H IQ and H Meg). The only other consideration is tier balance... if you're really heavy on Conq people it might make sense to pick up the mage if you're light on Vanq people.

However, what you really want is a group of good players, not a theoretically optimal comp. You're much better off finding someone who's a mindful player and meshes well with your existing group... the difference between warlock and mage isn't THAT big.

Deleted
    Nowadays warlock is much better than mage, in both utility to your raid and dps

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Raiding at a relatively hardcore level, very very few people actively use the healthstones. Very few. Incredibly few. That's obviously a mistake, but my point is; the healthstones are not a gamebreaking by sitting in your inventory, but as hard as the dps requirements are on many fights in Trollduar, the crit buff could mean the difference between a wipe and a kill.

Both classes bring lots of amazing utility, overall I'd say the warlock brings more.
    As a raid leader, I consider healthstones to be a raid cd in the same light as tranquility or Divine Hymn, and will often set up our cd rotation based on that assumption. As a result, people use healthstones quite often.