Poll: Should roots have HP?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Are you aware that this change would completely break pvp? You are supposed to sit in roots sometimes. You can't have 100% uptime on a target. Roots (and every other cc) punish melees for not being in los (of their healer).
    For example, mage will destroy you, if you let him cast, because he's balanced around spamming instants (he can't cast because of high uptime of melees on him). There should be less uptime, not more.
    My idea wouldnt affect anything you're talking about. It willl reduce the duration of a root by 2 or 3 seconds and will give melees somthing to do while rooted and out of the game. You wont have 100% uptime on a target. Roots are going to keep working like they are now but instead of them lasting 8 sec they can last 5 sec if the dps kills them. Roots already break fast from enemy dmg so the whole argument about losing your healer means nothing. Most people die in lost of their healers from being stunned in los. This change would only affect the melee that get rooted for cc and that are left alone. It would reduce the presure on healers to dispel random things and allow them to use their dispels on more important things.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Or how about an even better solution: all roots break on damage and/or root durations across the board reduced by 50%.

Casters/ranged are already flat out better than melee. Hell, even the weakest caster (elemental shaman) will be competitive with the best melee come 5.3.
    My boomkin's roots already break after like 1-2 dot ticks. =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Roots shouldnt have HP, tehy should only last 4s max. 8s is way overkill in a game where dispel has cooldown and if you dont get the deep freeze your globalled.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    My boomkin's roots already break after like 1-2 dot ticks. =/
    Where do you guys come up with this crap? No classes' roots (except warriors because, you know, fuck you warriors) break on anything but heavy damage. I've sat through starfalls and wraths without entangling roots breaking and not until a starsurge can I get out.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Or how about an even better solution: all roots break on damage and/or root durations across the board reduced by 50%.

Casters/ranged are already flat out better than melee. Hell, even the weakest caster (elemental shaman) will be competitive with the best melee come 5.3.
    Tbh roots are the only CC in-game I'd rather see/be in than other CC.

No, maybe reduce the time of roots/break on damage or both.
    Having to use an attack to break roots isn't interesting or skilful gameplay.

Roots shouldnt have HP because that would affect different melee better or worse. Right now my unholy dk has a hell of a time killing tendrils unless im runic power stacked since I have no diseases on it and at best scourge strike will hit it for 15k, and I dont want to waste death runes on it. Then again my warrior can pretty much 1shot the tendrils, so giving them hp is better or worse for certain melee which creates more imbalances imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock View Post
    Having to use an attack to break roots isn't interesting or skilful gameplay.
    It gives you a extra choice. Break the root instantly with a hardhitting abillity, or wait the root out and save the dmg abillity for when you reach the target - trading mobillity for dmg and vice verca. Allso, you could run with teammates wich could help freeing you even faster . It basicly gives everybody a dispell, but a dispel wich comes with a cost.

I think its one of those things they could look into if they ever decide to overhaul the current hotkey combat model, wich, lets face it, is at least 10 years old and designed to support rpg games with focus on experience and levels. Stuff like Skillshots (directional spells or spells aimed with target reticules for example), Blind wich actual blinds the player (white out the screen) - and roots (and obstacles?) with HP - is honestly something i wouldnt mind see in a next gen MMO. Doubt we are going to se something that radical in WOW though as long as millions of players enjoy its current mechanics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Roots having a reasonable amount of health would actually encourage more thinking.

If you had to blow some sort of minor CD (a rising sun kick, mortal strike, hemo, mangle - something that cost a cooldown or resource) then it'd add some more depth. Melee would have to debate whether to use an attack to break the root (and then reach the target with less damage), or sit the root and pool resources.

Interesting idea for sure.
    That wouldn't be a decision at all. Every single melee would simply break the root to get to the caster, I can guarantee it. I don't know why this is even an issue, melee uptime on casters is already high enough to the point where any caster that has to actually cast is completely unviable at higher ratings. Even a mage, the class that supposedly doesn't have to cast, can not get any significant pressure if a DK, feral or rogue sits on him.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2013-05-06 at 05:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roots having health will make many rogues and ferals pissed because they'll lose combo points on their main target :/
    It would be better if they just broke faster, putting health on them isn't really a good solution imo.

Deleted
    Some classes' roots break fairly quickly and are mostly hard-cast, others don't. Mages for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay.

Just give melee some root abilities then.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Okay.

Just give melee some root abilities then.
    Feral druids, enhancement shamans, death knights, rogues, monks, warriors, they all can root.... Unless I'm missing something, the only melee class/spec without a root are paladins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Feral druids, enhancement shamans, death knights, rogues, monks, warriors, they all can root.... Unless I'm missing something, the only melee class/spec without a root are paladins.
    Pretty sure that, other than druids with... well, root, most of those are snares.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enh has frozen power, 5 sec root, or earthgrab totem, also 5 sec root.
    Death knights have chillblains. 3 sec root + 10sec slow.
    Rogues have paralytic poison, using shiv will root for 4 sec.
    Monks have disable, 50% snare 10sec duration, will root already snared targets for 8sec.
    Warriors have staggering shout, 5 sec 20y aoe root.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks have disable, 50% snare 10sec duration, will root already snared targets for 8sec.
    Yes, I looked into it... seems my terminology was off.

I meant "roots" as in "immobilizes that last long (8 seconds) but break on damage."

Give melee a few ranged ones of those and I'd be happy. Make it so I can spam an 8 second, must-be-killed chains of ice on my target as a DK. That'd be loads of fun.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    no warrior with any brain will be taking staggering shout for pvp.
    and the more infuriating thing as a warrior.. is they took away our imp hamstring. .which actually did root.. and gave the damned thing to monks!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yes, I looked into it... seems my terminology was off.

I meant "roots" as in "immobilizes that last long (8 seconds) but break on damage."

Give melee a few ranged ones of those and I'd be happy. Make it so I can spam an 8 second, must-be-killed chains of ice on my target as a DK. That'd be loads of fun.
    Yes, that would be totally balanced. /sarcasm

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where do you guys come up with this crap? No classes' roots (except warriors because, you know, fuck you warriors) break on anything but heavy damage. I've sat through starfalls and wraths without entangling roots breaking and not until a starsurge can I get out.
    That literally never happens for me. Perhaps there's an element of RNG, but I've literally used Nature's Grasp in a duel and had the root immediately break after moonfire and sunfire ticked, a total of like 18k damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that would be totally balanced. /sarcasm
    Hey, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

In fact, I'd argue that a system in which melee DPS have a minimum-range ranged snare and ranged DPS have melee snares, and all have fewer escape mechanics, would be much more balanced.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.