Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Solmyr13 View Post
    Cata just made the game boring. WOTLK did have it right; the reason the heroics were a joke was people outgeared the crap out of them, THE WAY CONTENT SHOULD BE. Yes they became AoE grindfests and you did need them to cap badges, the fact remains that once you overgeared it one heroic took about, 20 minutes? Roughly depending on which one you did. The Arthas stories also closed a chapter on WCIII lore much like Illidan did in BC; there's a reason those two xpacs are loved and it's because of the people who played WC, WCII and WCIII: We finally got closure on what happened in WCIII. Cataclysm was literally like.... oh okay. Deathwings back, someone who hasn't been around since WCII (which jesus if we're going by Warcraft logic was at least a decade ago) and while he was super badass in WCII, he wasn't unbeatable.
    He was a regular dragon in WC2 and we killed him easily :P

And Cata heroics became 20 min AOE fests once you outgeared them as well. Before FL was even out they nerfed them and even when the nerfs came out they were already so easy that I remember wondering what the point of the nerfs was. It was the culture shock of going from doing dungeons in full ICC gear (which is what, 10 tiers above what they were tuned for?) to doing them in quest blues and greens, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    ARCHEOLOGY KILLED ME. i farmed farmed farmed and never got rewarded , i wanted that sword to help start raiding. stupidest profession ever.
    You're doing it wrong. Arch isn't there for you to gear up. The epic drops were intentionally made super rare so that it would be a big deal if you ever got one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    LK was the beginning of the end for Wow. The superfast decline in sales can be directly attributed to Titan, and Team Deux coming in, half-way through and fubarrin' this game all to simithereens. Cata just made people realize there was no going back- Blizz was committed to under-funding Wow, living with the results, and generating new IPs/revenue steams. Mop and it's abysmal sales figures are directly attributable to LK, and how Cata was forced into a mould, and then all it's shortcomings.
    I agree - the game hasn't been the same since they changed around developers behind the scenes. It's just that the effects of "Team Deux" took a while to bleed into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    Mass summon was a bit of a joke. Why go out clubbing when you can just summon the party into your room?
    Why get out of bed when you can summon your girlfriend there with a bag of chips and an empty urine flask?
    Pls implement IRL!

The weirdest thing was how it was tied to guild membership. Why did they feel the need to throw so many incentives at being in a guild when pretty much everyone was in one anyway? They have enormous advantages even without perks. I mean, my characters were always in max level guilds in Cata, but it just seemed silly.

Still, I miss being able to summon my alts while dual boxing :P

10+ Year Old Account
    They completely destroyed pvp in that expansion. That's my main reason. Also dragon soul.

What was wrong with pvp in cata?
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    What was wrong with pvp in cata?
    The easy accessible legendary weapons like the staff of Firelands patch and then the rogue daggers in DS patch which the players can use them in pvp make things way unstable and unbalanced. The first pvp season of cata was good though.

Every expansion had legendary abuse and blizzard allowed legendary weapons in arena since day 1.

example: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=159069

I love the double kills with bladestorm so much skill.

2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    The easy accessible legendary weapons like the staff of Firelands patch and then the rogue daggers in DS patch which the players can use them in pvp make things way unstable and unbalanced. The first pvp season of cata was good though.
    Those Rogue daggers were no better than any other raid weapon of equivalent ILVL. The proc was downright useless in PVP. They had nothing on fucking Gurth.

The staff was pretty OP though.

Dagger were decent u could spam eviscerate but yeah gurthalak most underrated weapon lol.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2013-05-08 at 05:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's how I see it. Wrath opened the game up to the casual player. Easy heroics and the creation of dungeon finder. We sat in Dal. We queued to cap badges. We ran our ICC for the week. We rolled alts because we were bored. People flocked to the forums. They screamed about how lame the game had become. Blizzard apparently listened.

Cata pops. Remember your first heroic in Cata? Mine was dead mines. What a disaster. My first time in Grim Batol I got in with 4 people from the same guild. Cleared all trash with no issue. Got to Umbriss and watched him one shot the mage in the group over and over with each charge. Heroics were back to their glory and truly heroic again. Alas Blizzard forgot that they created dungeon finder and that 5 random people from 5 different servers might have an issue clearing these dungeons. Corla, her beams and LFD groups in BRC still make me run to the corner, sit in a fetal position and rock back and forth while chanting "Why can't they move out of the beam? Why can't they move out of the beam?"

Running the heroics with my guild were great. Raiding in T11 and T12 was great. I loved the challenge. A lot of players didn't. Looking for Dungeon groups were painful and queues for a dps were commonly 45-60 minutes from my memories. Now the forums are loaded with people complaining about how hard dungeons are.

At this point here comes Ghostcrawler and his, "Wow, dungeons are hard" blog. This, like the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, was the powder keg to start the war. This war of course is the Casual vs. Hardcore war that is still raging to this day. Not only did they further divide the community but the Devs and CMs seemed to be popping up at a regular basis to stir the pot whenever they had a chance.

Blizzard stood by their claims that the difficulty was good for the game and destroyed two raids in 4.1 and turned ZG and ZA into 5 mans. 5 mans that were just too hard for the casual average WoW player. This was the final straw for many casual players and I watched a lot of them quit in droves. I saw the casuals in my guild quit, many of those who were ex-raiders, and watched the population of my realm start to fall. 4.2 pops. Firelands comes out for the hardcores/raiders and heroic Rag is epic (just my opinion of course). Casuals get dailies. Just dailies. Fun. At this point I thought Blizzard had made up their mind. Dungeons and raids were going to stay challenging no matter how much whining there was.

And then came 4.3, the Return of the Casual. Blizzard releases 3 new "heroics." All of them pretty much WotLK faceroll type dungeons. And here comes LFR and the DS normal and heroic raid. After the entire Cata expansion pushing the casual to the edges BAM! Here's your free 378 epics and a raid you can queue for if you don't have time to commit to a raiding guild. Um. Hello? Blizzard? WTF are you guys doing? Make up your minds please! 4.3 was most definitely the Cata patch for the Casual. DS ran on forever. Many of the raiders (aka hardcores) in my guild then quit as DS was too easy and really not an exciting raid.

Please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against casuals or hardcores. I am not trying to turn this into the casual vs. hardcore thread as I think we have all seen enough of those. This post is about how Blizzard and the Cata expansion destroyed the community by, in my opinion, splitting it in two and pulling a 180 on their design plans. The split and turn probably cost me half of my guild. The casuals who quit when things were too hard and the raiders who quit when things got too easy. This is why Cata failed for me.

The daggers, maybe, but they weren't op for rogues in PvP.

As for the staff, while OP, I'd hardly call it easily accessible. Took quite a while to obtain the third stage staff which gave the proc and final.

The mass summon feature is different than LFR mate...the difference is that specially at the first week of Cataclysm..it was possible to even mass summon your entire raid grp even if they are inside the raid instance to use it to skip some trash mobs in BWD and such thing is indeed ruining the game play experience. LFr doesn't ruin the game play experience it's just another diffeculty of raid which being easy mode diffculty of our raids.
    So? Why do you care how other people are playing? If you thought it was ruining gameplay experience then all you had to do was not take the summon?

See? I'm shooting all the pro LFR arguments back at you.

Edit: And about the trash skipping, what's so bad about that? I thought saving time = good?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    So? Why do you care how other people are playing? If you thought it was ruining gameplay experience then all you had to do was not take the summon?

See? I'm shooting all the pro LFR arguments back at you.

Edit: And about the trash skipping, what's so bad about that? I thought saving time = good?
    please first of all I never ever complained about LFR ever. The way you are responding to me it's as if I was whining or complaining about LFR... quite the opposite in fact I love LFR and the idea of it is awesome.

Saving time is good yes but skipping trash when content was still new and fresh and exploiting one of the game features just because it's convienent and fast is not my cup of tea sorry and if you read what I said I was talking about the first week of cata before they nerfed the mass summon. It's not I care about how others play in fact I don't care but when others ruin the gameplay for me for the sake of fast and convienence then yes I care because it's my own gameplay here thank you.

I dislike that A LOT of developmental time went into revamping the old zones, not only did this take away from things that could of been in the 'end game' it removed a part of the game. I really enjoyed leveling new toons through the old zones and remember some of the awesome times I had way back. Now I just remember how pissed I am that they removed those zones, npc's, and quests.

Deathwing in my opinion is one of the least entertaining bosses I have ever killed and he was a freaking endboss. You just DPS a pillar that saws "Deahtwing's Toenail" on the nameplate and then spat he's dead. He fly's up to Stormwind and Org and instead of murdering people he just farts on the gate and fly's away.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by TheDDGuides View Post
    Mass summon was a bit of a joke. Why go out clubbing when you can just summon the party into your room?
    Why get out of bed when you can summon your girlfriend there with a bag of chips and an empty urine flask?
    So this is why I'm single. Bummer. I almost wish I had played during Cataclysm now. But alas, I'm a mage so I'm used to travelling light. Don't even have to spend gold on bags of chips anymore, thanks Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Dagger were decent u could spam eviscerate but yeah gurthalak most underrated weapon lol.
    Even if you got the full proc off (which was hard enough in some PVE fights let alone PVP, fucking thing always procced at the worst possible time) it still hit like nothing, you were better off using it to refresh SnD/Recup.

I mean they were no doubt better than PVP weapons but so were all the other raiding weapons, especially the heroic ones. It was a really underwhelming legendary.

Gem in a giant pile of shit is a perfect analogy. The expac has some very key things done in it, such as the 10-60 revamp, and the level 10 specialization, but due to the lack of content, the rehashing or content, as well as mandatory content (insert dailies, LFR, (a la MoP LFR now too) and whatever else) and the massive increase in difficulty, it made the game extremely stale. The PVP in Cata, I can say, was quite balance, with no one class being extremely and insanely overpowered, minus feral druid and frost mages in the earlier part of the xpac. Overall, it did some really key things, but fuckin' a, was just really poorly executed.
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Only five things I liked from the expansion: four of which carry onwards, and one that you can no longer experience unless you go to private servers:

5. LFR
    4. Old zone revamp
    3. Transmogrification
    2. Reforging
    1. Heroic Ragnaros

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The weirdest thing was how it was tied to guild membership. Why did they feel the need to throw so many incentives at being in a guild when pretty much everyone was in one anyway? They have enormous advantages even without perks. I mean, my characters were always in max level guilds in Cata, but it just seemed silly.
    I think they were trying to disincentivize guild hopping, which was a problem in BC.

Of course, what happened was that people who really were hot on progression guild hopped to higher guilds anyway, and lots of lower guilds with partial raid teams died when they couldn't recruit.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    The daggers, maybe, but they weren't op for rogues in PvP.

As for the staff, while OP, I'd hardly call it easily accessible. Took quite a while to obtain the third stage staff which gave the proc and final.
    I remember going back to CATA as a Rogue. I had quit back in WOTLK days.

After reaching 85 and gearing up through AH and profession epics, I tried finding a guild. That was in pre-dagger days. There were only 2 25 man guilds left and everyone had gone 10 man. Everyone I spoke to said to me "lol rogue", "we don't need Rogues", "Why should I get a Rogue since a Feral Druid does just as good DPS, they have combat RES and they can offtank", "Rogues are obsolete" and "Reroll Ret/Holy".

After a lot of searching, I found someone who came from the same country as I do and was the guild master of one of the two 25 man raid guilds on the server. He signed me up as a trial only because I was a compatriot of his, and they usually took me in raids when they were short on DPS. In their regular roster there was NOT ONE, NOT A SINGLE Rogue, and their best DPS'ers were the former Healing Officers (2-3 of them) with their former holy priests rerolled shadow priests and that stupid legendary staff. I remember in Raids the Shadow Priests did 50% DPS more than the next lowest class, it was absolutely pathetic.

After a month raiding like this I quit the game and went to play TBC (Burning Crusade) on a private server.

The above is a typical example of raiding in Catafail prior to the introdution of the daggers. It's a screenie from that remade Molten instance (I forgot the name) and you can see my Rogue scoring 8th in DPS while the Healing Officer with the legendary staff is first with his shadow priest and 2nd and 3rd are two locks also with that stupid legendray staff.

The Shadow Priest with the legendary staff did 36k DPS while the rest of us did around 22k DPS average while the Locks did around 32k DPS.

It was after seeing this level of Dev fail that I decided WoW has no future and I went back to playing TBC on a private server.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-05-08 at 01:17 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.