Poll: Are you happy?

Thread: Are you happy?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Are you happy?

I'm asking this question out of personal interest -> A thesis/essay I'm writing...
    So don't worry, this will all remain anonymously...

If you would be strapped to a ginormous computer, which has the ability to 'scan' the essence of your very soul, do you think that
    computer would rate you as being unhappy or happy?

Aditionally - in a non-poll answer IF you'd like to - do you think other people know that you're 'secretly ' unhappy/happy

Deleted
    Generally I'm happy. Of course there are things I am not happy with but that's life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think these are poor questions to ask if it's going to be used for research.

Am I happy? Sure. Should I be? Probably not. I could be doing/working harder to achieve my goals. "Happy" is a very... broad statement. I could be happy about 1000 different things right this moment, and unhappy with 1000 more. I'm tired, it's 3am. Does that make me 'unhappy'? I have a roof, food, internet, an adorable cat, and an awesome girlfriend. Does that make me happy?

I think you should expound on your question a bit more. I really can't vote, or answer properly.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I won't lie; I'm not too happy these days, and haven't been for some time.

Deleted
    I doubt this is the best forum to ask that question as I reckon over 50% of the users are on antidepressants.

Deleted
    Question is a bit too ambiguous. I can be happy and sad at the same time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Am I happy? Sure. Should I be? Probably not. I could be doing/working harder to achieve my goals. "Happy" is a very... broad statement. I could be happy about 1000 different things right this moment, and unhappy with 1000 more. I'm tired, it's 3am. Does that make me 'unhappy'? I have a roof, food, internet, an adorable cat, and an awesome girlfriend. Does that make me happy?

I think you should expound on your question a bit more. I really can't vote, or answer properly.
    I understand
    Basically what I'm trying to find out is that if people were to sit in a quiet corner and think about every aspect of their life... would they
    end up depressed/crying or happy...
    However, I find it very difficult to ask people ( in a subtle manner) whether they're depressed/unhappy or joyous/happy.

What started this whole 'thought-train' was that someone I know , and I would generally brand as happy, told me he felt sick all the time. I suggested - quite jokingly - that he might suffer from a depression... to which he - dead seriously - responded that that might be possible, because he always feels depressed.
    Which started the whole 'secretly'- depressed idea...

Then again, english is not my native language and I'm probably sounding as foolish as a mad hatter on diet coke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Largely happy. Haven't felt as good as I wanted to these last couple of days, but generally these last few months have been quite pleasing and relaxing.

I dunno... Really I don't think I'm either. Lots of major negatives and lots of major positives. Though I think if you ask me again in a few months then I'd go with happy, but right now it's too much of a balance. And I don't think people really know how I feel, except a select few.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    These are really poor poll options. I was forced to answer that I'm happy while realistically, on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd have answered 6, with that being slightly leaning towards happy. Meaning I'm at the lowest possible degree of being happy.

I am happy.

There was a point in my life where I allowed myself to think and worry too much. Until I couldn't find even a basic biological reason for being alive (because I do not intend to breed). I went into serious depression and snapped out of it about 10 months later somehow.

Now, !@#$ that. I'm here, I may as well try to enjoy it.

I'm happy whenever I'm with my family or friend[s], but if I'm alone no, it's like never waking up from a dreamstate.

Deleted
    No, bad health and no money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I think I'm happy. I have a lot of good people around me, am happy with my study and have enough leisure to do sports/gaming. I guess I'd be at an 8/10, as life can get better.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    and think about every aspect of their life... would they end up depressed/crying or happy...
    Again, happiness is not a "Yes" or "No" scale. You can't say someone is 100% happy or 100% unhappy, with nothing in between. If that is the answer you are looking for, your question is flawed from the get go.

Another example.

Could I be happier? Sure. I could have more money. A better job. A lot of things. Not having those things... doesn't really make me happy.

On the flip side... Again, shelter, food, people I love and people who love me. My life is probably better than a billion other people on the planet. So, I mean, I've got it pretty good, right?

I'm pretty happy, because it's bed time and I'm going to go snuggle with this guy
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I keep a brave face and find joy in even the smallest of things, but at the bottom of it all I'm twice crippled before 30 and none to share my tribulations with so the result would most likely be a no.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Chazus is right.
    On topic, I'm very happy. However I'm unhappy with how I'm doing with my university degree and work, I'm 26 and still did not finish university and working as a simple call-center agent.
    /Zetsumei

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I keep a brave face and find joy in even the smallest of things, but at the bottom of it all I'm twice crippled before 30 and none to share my tribulations with so the result would most likely be a no.
    Astonishing. And if you dont mind me asking: do you think other know that you're actually not that happy?

Deleted
    I'm pretty happy, Started working out again and it feels great being in shape!

Deleted
    Without sounding smug, I am incredibly happy. I have a great job that I'm good at, great friends, I'm in great shape, financially secure, my son is growing up well, is strong & healthy and I seem to practically shit golden eggs these days.

Complete contrast to 8 years ago. The penny dropped that you make your own luck... Oh how I've turned a corner in my life.