Poll: Should there be a technology-based class in WoW?

Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Should there be a Technology-based class in WoW?

I've been reading the heavy debate here in regards to future classes. A few people seem to dislike the idea of a tech-based class, while others heavily support bringing one into the game. There is a lot of steam punk elements in WoW, and I will personally admit to feeling a bit weird the first time I stood next to a Warrior riding a motorcycle, or as a Druid standing on a massive airship heading to Pandaland. The Goblin starting zone REALLY feels out of place compared to the rest of the game, and the classes they could choose. Yeah, me and my pals are going to see a movie in my drop-top convertible, yet right around the corner, you got a mage and a warlock shooting magic at each other. Okay...

Anyways, I guess my point is, should there be a technology based class in WoW?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's impossible to add. In fact, I'd say if WoW lives long enough we will see it. It's not as big a stretch as Bard, because Tinkerer is established as a WC3 hero already.

But I do feel DH will come first and next.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Yes: Tinker.

Only if its a big mecha/shredder type thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say it won't work. Just like dokhidamo stated, we'll only have to wait and see!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Deleted
    It's pretty much the Tinker class that fits the role most. If I'm not mistaken, there's the really cool concept of Technomage in the WOW RPG, but that's a bit too hard to implement in WoW.

All physical damage classes technically already are technology based. Guns and swords are technology.

I'm going to say no. Its not impossible, but its not required at all. Any class can be an Engineer, after all.

And if we need class representation for every aspect of what we see then does that mean we need a Baker and Shopkeeper class too?

Not to mention Tinkers only really fit two races - Gnomes and Goblins. It feels forced to make any other race have more then a minimum of them, and more Alliance races fit the bill then Horde even when pushing it (Orcs, Trolls and Tauren all have relatively primative technology).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokaproductionist View Post
    Yes: Tinker.
    these

/10chars

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    All physical damage classes technically already are technology based. Guns and swords are technology.

I'm going to say no. Its not impossible, but its not required at all. Any class can be an Engineer, after all.

And if we need class representation for every aspect of what we see then does that mean we need a Baker and Shopkeeper class too?

Not to mention Tinkers only really fit two races - Gnomes and Goblins. It feels forced to make any other race have more then a minimum of them, and more Alliance races fit the bill then Horde even when pushing it (Orcs, Trolls and Tauren all have relatively primative technology).
    Well by the "not necessary" logic, we only need 4 classes: Warrior, Priest, Mage, Rogue.

As for races, I posted in another thread that it can be Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Draenei, Orc, Troll, Forsaken, BElf.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Well by the "not necessary" logic, we only need 4 classes: Warrior, Priest, Mage, Rogue.

As for races, I posted in another thread that it can be Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Draenei, Orc, Troll, Forsaken, BElf.
    Also if the class comes up with a neutral race, take ethereals for example. They would fit for the class as much as gnomes and goblins do.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I vote no as this is not Guild Wars so we don't need Tinkers as a playable class. We already have the engineering profession for the technology.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I think it sounds cool with a tinkerer class. We might have engineering as a profession, but a class could just be a really professional engineer! Could be a hybrid too, as technology would allow many devices and functions into use. I am getting a little steampunk-feel too. I find it fitting.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2013-05-05 at 05:54 PM. Reason: What's up with my typing?

It's definitely a possibility and I think it could be really cool, but the from my first though of it I thought it was pretty stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted yes because the game needs a non-hunter mail-wearing class that can use ranged weaponry. Also because I would thoroughly enjoy rolling a Goblin Tinker and using Pocket Factory on my enemies.

In addition, the tier armor would be pretty sweet. I could imagine gears and stuff whirling around on the shoulderpads or crazy stuff like that.

Make it happen Blizz!

I have always felt that this should happen and they should wear mail and be able to use range weapons. This would provide another user to the most under utilized gear in the game. Of course, a mech-suit kind of set up would be amazing with different suit appearances for each race/spec.
    Additionally I have thought it kind of interesting to have the type of damage they deal based on the weapon equipped; projectile weapons (guns, bows, and crossbows) versus energy type attacks (wands).

It could work, I don't see it out of place.

Tinkers turned into a profession, engineering. Theres no reason to make a class out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Tinkers turned into a profession, engineering. Theres no reason to make a class out of it.
    tinker fights with technology. engineering works with technology.
    mage fights with arcane magic. enchanting works with arcane magic.
    death knight fights with runes. inscription works with runes.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I love you for putting into words the facepalm that I couldn't.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    As someone who tried to make a technology character by rolling a hunter and mastering engineering, I completely agree with this post. I couldn't describe the level of suckage I experienced.

A technology-based class is nothing like a technology based profession.