Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dungeon Journal UI, Otis Addon, Blue Tweets, Weekly News Recap, Setup of the Month

Mannercookie's Insanity Barb Build, Types of Density on the PTR, Tyrael Fan Art

Patch 5.3 - Dungeon Journal UI
    Patch 5.3 finally makes it faster to move through the Dungeon Journal by putting boss selections for an instance on the left always, and loot, abilities, and model on the right, making it much faster to switch between bosses to find the right loot list.

Otis - Dungeon Journal Addon
    If you don't want to wait a few weeks for Patch 5.3, you can install the Otis addon to make life a little bit easier. It adds arrows to the side of the Dungeon Journal that allows you to quickly move up and down through the boss list.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Character
    I'd say Glyphs and Talents look too similar atm.
    Yeah, I think that's fair criticism. (Source)

We added talents in vanilla so rogue 1 and rogue 2 could be different. With tri spec, what if every rogue feels the same again? (Source)
    I think you picked the worst class to make an example for you here.
    In my experience, hunters are even more likely to swap specs than rogues. Even rogue specs have more kit than hunter specs. (Source)

Pandora's box was open at the moment you allowed us to change spec unlimited number of times.
    Then maybe we need to close the box. Another idiom is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. (Source)

Can you reconcile your tweet yesterday about yr friend being "just a druid" w/ the "Bring the player not the class" mentality?
    I don't think it's a contradiction. You should be able to bring a Balance or Feral most of the time. (Source)
    Now there are some cases where we discourage extreme ranged or melee stacking, which is more necessary evil than cool design. (Source)

And how about "bring player - not spec" argument?
    Unless you are on heroic Lei Shen, you can probably play any spec you want and be fine. This was not the case in Sunwell. (Source)
    In Sunwell, you had to stack certain classes to get the right buff / debuff matrix. That is what "bring the player" was all about. (Source)

How much would you like Crit, Haste and Mastery to be just as good as one another for all specs, allowing freedom for style?
    It's tricky. If they are all interchangeable, then you don't look at the stats at all. Better would be if you can feel the delta. (Source)
    For some casters, you can really feel diff between a high crit and high haste build. I wish it felt more so for everyone. (Source)
    Then the stats could be equal value while the decision was still meaningful. (Source)

I was looking at simulation numbers on noxxic. Can't believe I'm alone in thinking it's demotivating to see my class so low.
    We don't put much faith in class comparisons from sims. Different people with different skills work on the various components. (Source)
    So even if e.g. the hunter simming is strong, it may not mesh with the shaman simming. (Source)
    Sims are better for helping you determine gems, rotations, reforge etc. for your character. (Source)

PvE
    Can we get a heads up as to VP incoming patch, will it be reset or can I have it stored ready?
    We will give you notification before 5.3 ships. (Source)

Sunwell raids stacked the top DPS with 1 each of the buff classes. Heroic ToT is the same except it's Raid CDs now.
    Disagree. Heroic ToT class stacking is nothing like Sunwell class stacking. (Source)

This is opposite of truth. Having the highest ilvl possible when stepping into ANY raid IS MANDATORY
    I disagree. Skill has a much greater impact than ilevel. That is why Blood Legion can beat content with very little new gear. (Source)
    Worldclass is irrelevant. There'd be no point to gear if it didn't facilitate success. Stop with the straw man.
    But skill matters more than gear especially for non-worldclass, because the worldclass can't improve their skill much more. (Source)
    Gear helps for sure. If you want to farm LFR for tiny DPS upgrades, go for it. My contention is that behavior is optional. (Source)
    mechanics or not the guild rollling in a sub 496 ilvl is gonna have a bad time in tot where the 515 guys are gonna breeze
    Yes, that is different. If you don't have a lot of N gear from previous tier, then LFR will serve as a useful catchup. (Source)

why is it we can burn extra mogu coins in LFR but not on nalak for example?
    We didn't want to encourage rampant realm hopping, which can lead to instability when there are too many folks in one spot. (Source)
    Now that 5.2 has been out for awhile, it would probably be okay for the older bosses. (Source)

have you consider make DBM as default UI, like many other popular 3rd party UIs they are becoming essentials
    We try to communicate essential info in raids. The raid mods often provide too much info, which has 2 problems. (Source)
    Difficulty is probably obvious, but they also make fights seem complicated by bringing your attention to stuff you could ignore. (Source)

I have even seen in blue posts where you or someone else says normal raiders run LFR! Pls get stories straight!!!
    Some heroic raiders run LFR. The question is how forced they feel to do so. (Source)
    In 5.0 when everyone was in blues, LFR gave epics and felt really important. (Source)
    In 5.2, LFR offers much less to N raiders unless you've been unlucky or are impatient to complete a set or something. (Source)
    As I've said, if it's fun for you, go for it. I wouldn't consider it mandatory though. (Source)
    In heroic, there are tight enrage timers. In 5.2, there really aren't in normal. (Source)
    It comes down to your error rate on mechanics. Improving ilevel can gives you more room to have more errors and still win. (Source)
    But causing fewer errors in the first place is likely an even surer track to victory. (gives -> give) (Source)

don't you fear pve gear will become too strong and scare away pure pvpers who dont want to pve?
    We don't think PvE gear will be more attractive than PvP gear for PvP with these changes. (Source)

the blog about how to gear was a little inelegant and convoluted let's say. Is End game gearing gonna be like that forever?
    What we don't like is that the current system is fairly opaque. Nothing tells you "Go here for a good belt upgrade." (Source)
    Also, the system gets more convoluted when tiers advance. Should I do MV LFR or ToT LFR? Is the DMF trinket still good? (Source)
    We like to encourage lots of different paths towards a goal rather than e.g. raid or die. (Source)
    what if i just want to raid or die? All I want to do is dungeon and rad? Why can't that be an optimal choice? Not the only one
    Optimal tends to become the only. We try to make the most optimal path the most diverse one (but again not the only one). (Source)

Weekly News Recap
    Lots of news this week, so here is your chance to catch up if you missed a day of news!

Computers - Setup of the Month (by chaud)
    Each month or every 2 months, depending on the hardware evolutions, the lovely chaud will work on a couple of hardware setups for those of you who are thinking of upgrading their computer!

This month
    The current SSD prices seem to be moving back up slowly, with almost all SSDs under $1 per gigabyte when on sale. No new GPUs or SSDs worth waiting for are expected before the third quarter this year. RAM prices have been increasing for the past few months, so if you were thinking about adding RAM anytime soon, now is the time.

The new Haswell CPUs from Intel are almost here and should bring a mild performance improvement, power usage reduction, and significantly better integrated graphics.

Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 3770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

Make sure to keep your AMD and Nvidia drivers up to date.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback in the comments of that news post, and don't forget to visit the Computer Forum for any extra questions! If you are interested in Folding@home, take a look in our team's thread.

Peripherals/Monitors
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    MonitorAsus VS229H-P 21.5" LED IPS Monitor - $140ASUS VS248H-P 24-Inch Monitor - $170
    KeyboardKensington Pro Fit Media Keyboard - $20Cyborg V.5 - $48
    MouseLogitech G400 - $37Razer Deathadder - $46
    SpeakersCreative A220 2.1 Speaker System - $30Logitech Z313 Speaker System - $40
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    MonitorASUS VE278Q 27-Inch - $266HP ZR2440W 24-inch (IPS Panel) - $369
    KeyboardLogitech G510 - $90Razer BlackWidow (Backlit)- $76 ($129)
    MouseLogitech G500 - $45Razer Naga (Buttons on the Side) - $70
    SpeakersLogitech Z323 2.1 Speaker System - $60Logitech Speaker System Z523 - $65

Puppy and Dolphin
    Mix and match anything but the CPU/Motherboard combo between Puppy and Dolphin. Pick one of the two CPU/Motherboard combos.
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    CaseNZXT Source 210 - $35NZXT Source 210 - $35
    Power SupplyCorsair CX500 - $58XFX Core Edition PRO 550W - $69
    CPUAMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition- $85AMD FX-6300 - $117
    HeatsinkCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $28Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $30
    MotherboardASUS M5A97 R2 AM3+ 970 - $99ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ 990FX - $135
    MemoryKingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1333 - $318GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $71
    Graphics CardASUS 7770 - $109Gigabyte 7850 2 GB or Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB - $195 / $210
    Hard DriveWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $57Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $91
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23
    Total$525$766 - 781

Narwhal and Unicorn
    All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Narwhal and Unicorn. SSDs are always optional.
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    CaseCooler Master HAF 912 - $58Cooler Master HAF 932 - $160
    Power SupplyCorsair 650TX V2 - $90Corsair 750HX - $130
    CPUIntel i5-3570K - $210Intel i7-3770K - $317
    HeatsinkThermaltake Frio - $53Noctua 6 NH-D14 - $80
    MotherboardASUS P8Z77-V LK - $115ASUS P8Z77-V - $176
    Memory8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $7116GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $120
    Graphics CardGigabyte 7950 OR MSI GTX 660 Ti - $310 / $299Gigabyte 7970 OR GIGABYTE GTX 670 - $400 / $393
    Hard DriveWestern Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $91Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $91
    SSDSAMSUNG 840 128GB (Review) - $100
    OR
    Plextor 128 GB M5 Pro (Review) - $132
    Intel 330 180GB (Review) - $150
    OR
    SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (Review) - $139
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23
    Total$1010 - $1153$1590 - $1647
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-05-05 at 08:16 PM.

That Journal UI update is wonderful. The current UI is so broken.

Yeah, I agree the change for the Dungeon Journal is a welcome change. I had to maneuver my way multiple times just to see which boss dropped what on my alts, and it became more of a hassle than a help. I sometimes just went on wow-head to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    That Journal UI update is wonderful. The current UI is so broken.
    It's not broken, it's just not great. Broken implies something much worse than current.

I love how the Logitech G400 is on the list. That thing is seriously a solid piece of hardware.

Gotta love curse. "Guys, let's build PC's only for americans. Let's forget the fact that europeans might be interested in the general prices as well" >_>

Also, no mechanical keyboards? Lol.. Please at least attempt to look credible, or give some options.

Rest of the post: GC talking crap as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Gotta love curse. "Guys, let's build PC's only for americans. Let's forget the fact that europeans might be interested in the general prices as well" >_>

Also, no mechanical keyboards? Lol.. Please at least attempt to look credible, or give some options.
    We use Amazon so that people outside of the US can look at prices as well.

The Blackwidow is mechanical and uses Cherry Blue switches.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Some of us like quiet kerboards too. And It's not like WoW is so twitchy that you need a mechanical keyboard.

yey for the journal!

I have to disagree with the post about pve gear not being better than pvp gear. With the removal of resilience from gear along with the nerf to both the amount of resilience on gems and the increase of required pvp power needed for a damage increase why wouldn't resilience/power gemmed pve gear easily out perform pvp gear with its increased stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalanos View Post
    I have to disagree with the post about pve gear not being better than pvp gear. With the removal of resilience from gear along with the nerf to both the amount of resilience on gems and the increase of required pvp power needed for a damage increase why wouldn't resilience/power gemmed pve gear easily out perform pvp gear with its increased stats?
    no. BGs and arenas will downscale gear to top pvp ilevel. And world pvp is a joke anyway, its basically 99% of time pvp geared dicks ganking questing pvers, atleast now pvers will have a fighting chance.

TBH, anyone now wanting to build a PC, wait for one more month and get yourself a Haswell CPU. I know that generally waiting in the hardware business is futile, for there will always be better soon(tm), but this time Haswell is just one month away from being introduced, and will offer a significant upgrade over the previous version.

I've submitted a suggestion that the dungeon journal should include a filter by role: tank/dps/healer. Alternatively, they need to just look at getting rid of some of the ability bloat so that casual players read them more. I'd also suggest the ability to pull up a boss DJ by having it targeted and using the right click menu. The DJ's a great feature but I don't feel like it has been fully embraced enough by the audience that doesn't watch videos but prefers to learn about a fight in-game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    We use Amazon so that people outside of the US can look at prices as well.

The Blackwidow is mechanical and uses Cherry Blue switches.
    yeah you use amazon but the prices for UK are alot more than US

example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Genera...Intel+i5-3570K which is a CPU in one of the builds. in uk its £171.97 in dollars its $267.63 so if your from US you save about $60 in the UK it costs an extra $60 how about adding US and EU prices cos it says you do it every one to two months on these comp things so its ample time to add EU links for special offers, same goes for black friday stuff that was on here just US based stuff.

---------- Post added 2013-05-06 at 01:05 AM ----------

why is it every front page has been nerfs to PVP stuff buffs to PVE and stuff like the dungeon UI to make there lifes easier, why not go the full monty blizzard and let every PVE player have there own personal GM and people say PVE is hard. heres how to PVE

1. read up tactics on icyveins etc
    2. do the boss on PTR where it dnt even matter
    3. look at the bosses moves in the journal so you dnt wipe
    4.get a group and faceroll for free loots

PVP always gets the middle finger in wow and please dnt say its a side game, as much ppl pve as they do PVP.

the front page off mmo champion wouldnt be complete without nerfs to pvp and buffs to pve and useless tweets from the pvp killer ghostcrawler (plz retire and do us all a favour)

GC looking clueless as usual

top 25man in the world: "bring more warlocks. need melee? bring a rogue." "oh yeah and lotsa raid CDs LOL"

GC: "I disagree."

its like you read ToT reviews from top guilds and they're basically the opposite of what GC thinks. does the dude ever do anything outside of 1800 rated BGs on his mage?

fire his ass and get someone with a clue.

---------- Post added 2013-05-06 at 01:41 AM ----------

/1. read up tactics on icyveins etc
    2. do the boss on PTR where it dnt even matter
    3. look at the bosses moves in the journal so you dnt wipe
    4.get a group and faceroll for free loots/

so, you're going to link us your Storm's End title since its so easy there, champ? QQ moar.

Deleted
    i dnt do PVE so i dnt have that title and i dnt think it would even be hard to get anyways just wait for all your pve whiner friends crying they want it even easier then they can farm that title, and link us your arena master/high warlord title PVP titles are harder to get than any PVE title

Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    i dnt do PVE so i dnt have that title and i dnt think it would even be hard to get anyways just wait for all your pve whiner friends crying they want it even easier then they can farm that title, and link us your arena master/high warlord title PVP titles are harder to get than any PVE title
    Alright then chump, then link me your multi-glad achie, with the exception of season 4 and 12 because those were broken to shit. Seriously, it's always the 1600s scrubs that shittalk on pve. Well, if PvE is so scripted and easy, why don't most of the high ranked locks NOT have the green fire quest done?

Moreover, you make me laugh if you truly believe PvP is NOT scripted in a way like PvE is, especially on higher levels. Are you against a paladin? Pressure the Shield. Against a Shaman? Pressure the ascendence. Against a warrior? Disarm/CCduring swifty macro, force shieldwall.

I don't know about you, but those awefully feel ike pve's scripting to me.

Now either come with a decent coherent post and refute my statement, or don't bring this argument up again.

Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    I don't think you'd fair very well in pve, you're wiping on English.

27" 1080p monitor.....no, just no. Whoever puts the list together need to reevaluate some things o.o

Quote Originally Posted by sarbian View Post
    Some of us like quiet kerboards too. And It's not like WoW is so twitchy that you need a mechanical keyboard.
    Agreed, but a lot of people lately prefer (good) mechanical keyboards. Ducky, Corsair etc. Would be fun if those for once were actually spotlighted as well, instead of the really really subpar Razer Blackwidow.

And sorry.. "We use Amazon so you can check the prices" Please do for yourself. You will see the huge price differences between hardware in $, Euro and pounds. And as Womd says.. a 27" monitor? For what? WoW? Yea.. let's not go there. And a really subpar 27" at that.. Well I guess it works for some people. But with that price range, I expect a lot more quality. Not "Well it looks good on paper"
    Last edited by lanerios; 2013-05-06 at 07:08 AM.