Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lei Shen 25N problems with Static Shock

Hi!
    Our guild finally got to get some attempts on the final boss, Lei Shen. Apparantly we have people constantly die during the transition phase due to static shock, including myself.

The first phase goes smooth, with no pillar lvling, and getting rid of the diffuse lightning pillar first. People are being spread into each corner, and spreading 10 yards. This is where the problem starts.

1. Bouncing ball appears and people are running around soaking, and then we are getting static shock while soaking, and we dont manage to collapse in time.
    2. We actually get everyone to stack, but still 2-3 people die taking 5-600k damage, while the other 3 are not taking any damage at all. They are not using bubble/IB or any damage % reduction cooldowns.

Anything to solve this problem?

EDIT: Logs for the night: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/7o6e3i1r7crjvjk6/

Deleted
    Try 12. At 19:43:48 people died to Static Shock. Popshine had barkskin on while standing in Static Shock.

Try 14. At 20:03:01 people died to Static Shock. Both Numon and Stiggler had Barkskin activated. They also took damage from Static Shock so they used it in the shock.

I cba looking through more but "They are not using bubble/IB or any damage % reduction cooldowns." is simply wrong.

Reduction cooldowns are absolutely fine. In fact on 25m you will likely need something if you are soaking it. Anything where the player takes absolutely no damage from static shock will not count as a split. One thing it is fairly important to do is to have people solo soak at every opportunity. Monks and spriests can solo soak through reductions and anyone with an immunity (ice block, cloak of shadows, deterrence, etc) can just immune it away from everyone. Raid cooldowns are a pretty good idea for soaking that as you don't really need them elsewhere (we blow up static shock first).

If a player didn't take any damage, there are only 2 possibilities:
    1.) They didn't stack
    2.) They used an immunity

So some one is lying if they claim they are stacked and claim they didn't use any immunity.

On 25m first transition, odds are you are splitting about 2.5-2.6 million damage. So no cooldowns, you need 6 people to split. If you are taking 500-600k unmitigated, sounds like only 5 are soaking it.

To fix your problem, solo soak when you can, make sure everyone is stacked, and there really needs to be cooldowns used on every stack whether everyone uses a personal or you use a raid cd. For the bouncing balls, you should have 6-7 per platform and iirc there are 5 balls. So assuming the person can't soak solo (if they can, they can run out after the bouncing balls before static shock explodes), have them run to a central location and the other 5 people soak the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by inferior2 View Post
    Try 12. At 19:43:48 people died to Static Shock. Popshine had barkskin on while standing in Static Shock.

Try 14. At 20:03:01 people died to Static Shock. Both Numon and Stiggler had Barkskin activated. They also took damage from Static Shock so they used it in the shock.

I cba looking through more but "They are not using bubble/IB or any damage % reduction cooldowns." is simply wrong.
    Well, that's what my guildies told me. So yes, you are right, they are using it. I will have a chat with them..

Quote Originally Posted by dumkin View Post
    Well, that's what my guildies told me. So yes, you are right, they are using it. I will have a chat with them..
    Have a chat with your druids and tell them you are happy they know how their class mechanics interact with raid mechanics and to keep up the good work right?

if a person can solo soak a static shock, he/she should do so.

hunters with deterrence
    rogues with cloak
    mages with iceblock
    paladins with bubble
    shadow priests with dispersion
    feral druids with dispersion, divine shield (both from symbiosis)
    balance druids with cloak (symbiosis)
    resto druids with ice block, deterrence (both from symbiosis)
    monks with diffuse magic, zen med

in my guild there's a general rule if you want to solo soak then you run away from the mark (which is in the middle of the corner), otherwise you stack up on the mark and the whole group soaks it. Cooldowns like barrier and amz are really powerful for group soaking but ideally you should wait for 2nd transition phase with using them. Generally most of your static shocks should be solo soaked, which helps in both surviving the transition phase and saves a bit of healers' mana.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter if you use a cooldown reduction or if you immune the Static Shock, it will still count as a full soak. This is an ever enduring myth by players who don't understand why Static Shock does so much damage.

Its simple really. At 0 energy on normal it does 1 mil damage.
    At 50 energy on normal it does 1.5 mil damage.
    When Lei Shen does Supercharge Conduits, it also levels each conduit. If it was at 50 energy and 0 levels, it will do 2.5 million damage(and you'll get 2 statics). When Supercharge Conduits ends, the energy goes to 0, so Static does 2 mil damage until it gets powered up again.

@OP. If you end phase 1 with the Static Shock conduit at 90 energy the Static Shock Lei Shen casts will need to split 2.9 million damage. If you soak that with 5 people like in most of the wipes I've checked on logs it will hit for ~580k damage without damage reductions, and kill someone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Have a chat with your druids and tell them you are happy they know how their class mechanics interact with raid mechanics and to keep up the good work right?
    So why are they lying to him? They obviously do not know since they are saying that they are not using %-reduction cds even though they are.

[QUOTE=Aladya;21032157]It doesn't matter if you use a cooldown reduction or if you immune the Static Shock, it will still count as a full soak. This is an ever enduring myth by players who don't understand why Static Shock does so much damage.

I'm confused. I was getting from the earlier posts that it was ok to use damage reduction cd's while stacked (as damage would be spread among the group) whereas immunities were a no no as the person immuning would pass along the damage to group members. are you saying that even damage reduction cd's pass the reduced damage to party members?

along the same line i've seen in several posts in various forums referring to dispersion as an immunity...however it says it only reduces damages by 90%. it is considered a damage reducer correct?
    immunities: iceblock, deterrence, cloak of shadows, divine shield, dark bargain
    damage reducers: devo aura, amz, ams, barkskin, ironbark, pain supp, greater invis, pw: barrier, glyph of fade, glyph of inner sanctum, zen med, diffuse magic, dampen harm, fortifying brew, shamanistic rage, Astral shift, divine protection

any absorbs such as ice barrier, incanter's ward, flameglow, pw:shield, spirit shell, divine aegis, soul leech, sacrificial pact, stone bulwark totem are completely safe.

so would i be correct in saying that it is safe to stack with the group with the absorbs and damage reduction but unsafe for immunities as i've listed above?

does anyone have a good WoL string so that i can filter the information needed to show that damage reductions/absorbs are safe in the group.

TIA...this is bugging the heck out of me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morksdork View Post
    I'm confused. I was getting from the earlier posts that it was ok to use damage reduction cd's while stacked (as damage would be spread among the group) whereas immunities were a no no as the person immuning would pass along the damage to group members. are you saying that even damage reduction cd's pass the reduced damage to party members?

along the same line i've seen in several posts in various forums referring to dispersion as an immunity...however it says it only reduces damages by 90%. it is considered a damage reducer correct?
    immunities: iceblock, deterrence, cloak of shadows, divine shield, dark bargain
    damage reducers: devo aura, amz, ams, barkskin, ironbark, pain supp, greater invis, pw: barrier, glyph of fade, glyph of inner sanctum, zen med, diffuse magic, dampen harm, fortifying brew, shamanistic rage, Astral shift, divine protection

any absorbs such as ice barrier, incanter's ward, flameglow, pw:shield, spirit shell, divine aegis, soul leech, sacrificial pact, stone bulwark totem are completely safe.

so would i be correct in saying that it is safe to stack with the group with the absorbs and damage reduction but unsafe for immunities as i've listed above?

does anyone have a good WoL string so that i can filter the information needed to show that damage reductions/absorbs are safe in the group.

TIA...this is bugging the heck out of me.
    Damage reductions do as advertised, reduce the damage.
    Immunities ignore the soak completely.

Situation 1: A paladin and 2 others are stacking for a 1,000,000 static shock. The static shock goes out and does 333k to each of them
    Situation 2: A paladin and 2 others are stacking for a 1,000,000 static shock. One of the other soakers is a druid and barkskins themselves. The paladin and the third soaker take 333k each, the druid takes 333k-20%
    Situation 1: A paladin and 2 others are stacking for a 1,000,000 static shock. The paladin bubbles, immuning the damage split and causing 500k damage to both the other soakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    Damage reductions do as advertised, reduce the damage.
    Immunities ignore the soak completely.

Situation 1: A paladin and 2 others are stacking for a 1,000,000 static shock. The static shock goes out and does 333k to each of them
    Situation 2: A paladin and 2 others are stacking for a 1,000,000 static shock. One of the other soakers is a druid and barkskins themselves. The paladin and the third soaker take 333k each, the druid takes 333k-20%
    Situation 1: A paladin and 2 others are stacking for a 1,000,000 static shock. The paladin bubbles, immuning the damage split and causing 500k damage to both the other soakers.
    Immunities still split the damage. The 3rd situation is 100% wrong. If a pally bubbles they are still counted in the soak...meaning the pally would take 0 damage and the other 2 remaining players would each take 333k damage as the 1 million is STILL split 3 ways. Below is a section of a guildies logs where they 3 soaked and the hunter deterenced completely deflecting the SS damage as you can see the other two players do not get hit for 1 million plus damage divided by 2.

[20:50:24.161] Synariel afflicted by Static Shock from Lei Shen
    [20:50:30.111] Synariel gains Pain Suppression from Synariel
    [20:50:30.111] Synariel casts Pain Suppression on Synariel
    [20:50:30.429] Bevey gains Unending Resolve from Bevey
    [20:50:30.429] Bevey casts Unending Resolve
    [20:50:32.159] Unknown Static Shock Kunazai Deflect
    [20:50:32.159] Lei Shen's Static Shock fades from Synariel
    [20:50:32.209] Unknown Static Shock Synariel 173052 (A: 45738)
    [20:50:32.226] Unknown Static Shock Bevey 137902 (A: 93758)
    [20:50:38.102] Synariel's Pain Suppression fades from Synariel
    [20:50:38.430] Bevey's Unending Resolve fades from Bevey
    Bevey/Syn/Kuna are all together on a platform. Factoring in the absorbs and cds Bevey/Syn each used, the hits they took were around 430k and static shock during the first transition at the point of that log would be around 1.3mil damage, so it's definitely being split three ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins311 View Post
    Immunities still split the damage. The 3rd situation is 100% wrong. If a pally bubbles they are still counted in the soak...meaning the pally would take 0 damage and the other 2 remaining players would each take 333k damage as the 1 million is STILL split 3 ways. Below is a section of a guildies logs where they 3 soaked and the hunter deterenced completely deflecting the SS damage as you can see the other two players do not get hit for 1 million plus damage divided by 2.

[20:50:24.161] Synariel afflicted by Static Shock from Lei Shen
    [20:50:30.111] Synariel gains Pain Suppression from Synariel
    [20:50:30.111] Synariel casts Pain Suppression on Synariel
    [20:50:30.429] Bevey gains Unending Resolve from Bevey
    [20:50:30.429] Bevey casts Unending Resolve
    [20:50:32.159] Unknown Static Shock Kunazai Deflect
    [20:50:32.159] Lei Shen's Static Shock fades from Synariel
    [20:50:32.209] Unknown Static Shock Synariel 173052 (A: 45738)
    [20:50:32.226] Unknown Static Shock Bevey 137902 (A: 93758)
    [20:50:38.102] Synariel's Pain Suppression fades from Synariel
    [20:50:38.430] Bevey's Unending Resolve fades from Bevey
    Bevey/Syn/Kuna are all together on a platform. Factoring in the absorbs and cds Bevey/Syn each used, the hits they took were around 430k and static shock during the first transition at the point of that log would be around 1.3mil damage, so it's definitely being split three ways.
    Got a log with an immunity instead of a deflect?
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you use an immunity alone then you nullify the entire shock. If you use an immunity with someone else in range then the other guy takes the full amount of damage. So if you are not alone in there, do not use an immunity. I play a holy pally and see it happen all the time when we bring in pugs

Just make sure people pop damage reduction/absorb cd's during static shock and you'll be okay. No immunity spells though. People need to try and use something though as those static shocks are deadly.

Deleted
    The thing about immuning your share of the damage onto someone else is a complete myth. if 2 people stack and share a 1 million SS they each expect to take 500k. If one person immunes then one takes 0 and the other STILL takes 500k, they don't get the other persons share.

^ What Animma said, the thing about immunity doesn't count towards splitting is a myth. I don't have a log ready by now, since we got a new healing comp months ago and didn't need to worry about healers getting Static Shock. However, during progression and a few early kill on Lei Shen heroic, my guild had a quadrant of 3 Mages, 1 Monks and 1 Holy Priest. Static Shock in 25M explode for ~3.8mil. Whenever the Holy Priest got Static Shock, they would stack and the mages use IB & the Priest GS himself. GS absorb cap is ~1mil, if immunity users don't split the damage, the Priest would have died every time.

Tl;dr: @OP: immunity is fine, damage reduction is fine. You can use both when stacked if you need. Actually, seeing you are also doing 25, you should be using at least damage reduction while stacking.

As for your problems:
    1. Bouncing ball appears and people are running around soaking, and then we are getting static shock while soaking, and we dont manage to collapse in time.
    Tell people to collapse faster. Even on the 2nd Static Shock during an intermission, you would still have ~3sec after soaking bolt to stack.
    2. We actually get everyone to stack, but still 2-3 people die taking 5-600k damage, while the other 3 are not taking any damage at all. They are not using bubble/IB or any damage % reduction cooldowns.
    Either the other 3 are lying and they didn't make it in time, or they only barely made it in last second. Remember that there is the issue of client-server lag. If you only barely make it there within last second or half a second, the server might not be able to update your position in time and hence you aren't counted as staying in range to soak the Static Shock. That happened to me (and still happens here and then when I need to stack) - I moved in the clump, then the explosion went out on my screen and others lost hp, but I took no damage whatsoever. I have no immunity, so I figured it's just that I made it in the clump too late due to Helm of Command (this mechanic is heroic only, so there isn't any excuse for stacking in too slow in normal unless you are playing with like 1000ms).

Again, just try to run faster.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2013-09-04 at 06:09 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    ^ What Animma said, the thing about immunity doesn't count towards splitting is a myth. I don't have a log ready by now, since we got a new healing comp months ago and didn't need to worry about healers getting Static Shock. However, during progression and a few early kill on Lei Shen heroic, my guild had a quadrant of 3 Mages, 1 Monks and 1 Holy Priest. Static Shock in 25M explode for ~3.8mil. Whenever the Holy Priest got Static Shock, they would stack and the mages use IB & the Priest GS himself. GS absorb cap is ~1mil, if immunity users don't split the damage, the Priest would have died every time.

Tl;dr: @OP: immunity is fine, damage reduction is fine. You can use both when stacked if you need. Actually, seeing you are also doing 25, you should be using at least damage reduction while stacking.

As for your problems:

Tell people to collapse faster. Even on the 2nd Static Shock during an intermission, you would still have ~3sec after soaking bolt to stack.

Either the other 3 are lying and they didn't make it in time, or they only barely made it in last second. Remember that there is the issue of client-server lag. If you only barely make it there within last second or half a second, the server might not be able to update your position in time and hence you aren't counted as staying in range to soak the Static Shock. That happened to me (and still happens here and then when I need to stack) - I moved in the clump, then the explosion went out on my screen and others lost hp, but I took no damage whatsoever. I have no immunity, so I figured it's just that I made it in the clump too late due to Helm of Command (this mechanic is heroic only, so there isn't any excuse for stacking in too slow in normal unless you are playing with like 1000ms).

Again, just try to run faster.
    I've seen it happen many times, so you are full of shit. LFR heroes...

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    I've seen it happen many times, so you are full of shit. LFR heroes...
    Woah how did you find out I'm a LFR hero? Busted ... :< /sarcasm

Anyone read my posts would have known I killed Lei Shen H months ago. Not to mention, just 6 posts ago someone actually bothered to dig through his logs for evidence that immunity does split, so I suggest you have your eyes checked, or your raid / pugs, since they were lying to you about stacking in time.

Ok, my guild log is private, but let me dig through my alt's guild run. Just remembered there were a case of funny death yesterday. Here it goes (it's on heroic, so the damage is higher than normal, but the mechanic remains unchanged)

[22:11:05.458] Lei Shen casts Static Shock
    [22:11:05.863] Burnèr afflicted by Static Shock from Lei Shen
    [22:11:05.863] Androssi afflicted by Static Shock from Lei Shen
    [22:11:10.773] Burnèr gains Greater Invisibility from Burnèr
    [22:11:10.773] Burnèr casts Greater Invisibility
    [22:11:13.637] Burnèr's Greater Invisibility fades from Burnèr
    [22:11:13.853] Lei Shen's Static Shock fades from Burnèr
    [22:11:13.853] Unknown Static Shock Androssi Immune
    [22:11:13.853] Lei Shen's Static Shock fades from Androssi
    [22:11:13.950] Burnèr's Greater Invisibility fades from Burnèr
    [22:11:13.987] Unknown Static Shock Burnèr 216021 (O: 149487)
    [22:11:13.999] Unknown Static Shock Starshardzz 498537 (O: 927187, A: 49229)
    The mage (Burner) were using Greater Invisibility, reduced his Static Shock damage by 90%. He took 216,021 + 149,487 (overkill) = 365,508 damage. From that, it's easy to find out the total number of Static Shock damage without cd = 365,508 * 10 = ~3.6mil.

The pally got Static Shock and used his Divine Shield, but he and the priest in his group, lagged and stayed too close to each other. The pally completely immune damage, while the Priest took 498,537 + 927,187 (Overkill) + 49,229 (absorb) = 1,474,953 damage. If immunity user doesn't split the damage, the Shadow Priest should have taken full ~3.6mil. He didn't. That alone prove that immunity users are counted towards the split.
    If you need further evidence, we get the SP damage (1,474,953). He has 15% damage reduction from Shadowform, so that would be ~1,735,239 damage without it. Two people affected (the DS'd pally and Priest), so the total damage is 1,735,238 * 2 = ~3.47mil. Close enough?
    If you are still unsure, send me an PM, I will reply you with both my main and alt's character name / realm so we can enjoy a nice chat, although having a LFR hero teaching you how mechanic works may not bode well to you - seeing how your tone went.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2013-09-06 at 11:03 AM.

The solution to your problem OP is that everyone needs to be using damage reductions when soaking static shock. Rather than the opposite.

@Qualia

Thanks for the chuckle, and the proof! We argued over this very thing for weeks while on progression.

As for the OP, just remember that being vocal is key. If the person that gets static shock can't solo soak they should make everyone in their section VERY aware that they need to collpase to the middle as soon as balls are caught (Specifically referring to the 2nd time you catch and the timing is close). Also make sure every quadrant has a CD rotation, be it Disc bubble, AMS, raid aura, smoke bomb ect. Ideally you'd want each section (Unless it's a full immunity quadrant) to be able to have 2 dmg reduction CDs in case they get 2 static shocks they must soak.