1. #1

    Will this get the job done?

    So currently I play wow on an HP Pavillion G6 laptop, have been for a year or two. It's definitely not all that great. Run at around 25 FPS at it's peak and will routinely fall to sub 10 FPS. I've been looking to get a better computer for games and strip the Pavillion of all of the games and just use it for college stuff.

    I'm pretty strapped for cash so I was trying to find a laptop around the 500 USD range (i really didn't even know if it was possible to find one that low) and I found this:
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-G7...AA6_B009AU2JPU

    I almost positive it will be better than I have now but I was hoping someone could enlighten me on whether it can play the games at atleast fair-good level. Also are there any other markedly better options for around the same price range (nothing over 6-650 USD).

    Thanks for any help

    PS: Games I play/would play on it - WoW, World of Tanks, Age of Empires III, and possibly GW2


    Awesome sig thanks to i4ni

  2. #2
    That processor will suck pretty badly in MMORPGs, probably wont be big upgrade to WoW or GW2.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  3. #3
    If you don't mind a smaller screen, this one has some better specs for a few more bucks than the one you are looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215663
    Or there is this one with the 17" screen, it's a bit more but, once again, it has quite a bit better specifications http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200785

    Also, it would be best to hold off on buying until someone with a bit more know-how shows up and you can get some help from them
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-05-05 at 10:36 PM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

    In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Killora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE, Montana
    Posts
    1,098
    You're not going to get a laptop that will play much better than that for $500.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    You're not going to get a laptop that will play much better than that for $500.
    They did say they could go up to the 600-650 price range so thats gives some wiggle room. The Acer I linked previously did have a smaller screen but, i'm pretty sure, has better hardware than the current laptop they have and it is priced at $499.

    @Pyro
    Also, just found this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...847&CatId=4936

    It's a refurb, but it's a straight upgrade and a newer model of the one you first linked plus it only costs $400.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

    In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

  6. #6
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,679
    That G7 seems to be the 17" version of my G6. The APU/GPU is the same as mine. I got it purely because it was the cheapest laptop ($300 at the time) that could play wow on minimum settings.

    I imagine if you have a G6 now, it's likely the same or similar to mine. That is to say... It's not an upgrade.

    In fact, none of those systems will be a large upgrade. They are better, and newer, but not by much. Your best option is to deal with it for a bit longer, save some money up, and get a better system.

    Also, why are you needing a laptop? You could get a somewhat decent desktop, and you already have a laptop that can at least play some games as it is.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That G7 seems to be the 17" version of my G6. The APU/GPU is the same as mine. I got it purely because it was the cheapest laptop ($300 at the time) that could play wow on minimum settings.

    I imagine if you have a G6 now, it's likely the same or similar to mine. That is to say... It's not an upgrade.

    In fact, none of those systems will be a large upgrade. They are better, and newer, but not by much. Your best option is to deal with it for a bit longer, save some money up, and get a better system.

    Also, why are you needing a laptop? You could get a somewhat decent desktop, and you already have a laptop that can at least play some games as it is.
    Alright, I figured it wouldn't be all that amazing of an upgrade but was hoping for the best :P As to why a laptop it's just because it's what i'm used to. I've only ever played wow on a laptop except when i first started (and that was on an ancient desktop) so it's just personal preference. I wouldn't be against getting a decent pc in the 5-700 dollar range.

    edit: and thanks to everyone else for the replies

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-06 at 02:18 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    They did say they could go up to the 600-650 price range so thats gives some wiggle room. The Acer I linked previously did have a smaller screen but, i'm pretty sure, has better hardware than the current laptop they have and it is priced at $499.

    @Pyro
    Also, just found this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...847&CatId=4936

    It's a refurb, but it's a straight upgrade and a newer model of the one you first linked plus it only costs $400.
    interesting..... i'll have to think about that one


    Awesome sig thanks to i4ni

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Killora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE, Montana
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

    Also, why are you needing a laptop? You could get a somewhat decent desktop, and you already have a laptop that can at least play some games as it is.
    Yeah, if you have a laptop, why do you need another for gaming?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Yeah, if you have a laptop, why do you need another for gaming?
    Reason why is in the first post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    I've been looking to get a better computer for games and strip the Pavillion of all of the games and just use it for college stuff.
    Sometimes it's better to keep anything distracting off work/school computers.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

    In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

  10. #10
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,679
    If it's just personal preference, get a desktop. A laptop gives no benefits whatsoever over a desktop except for mobility, and you have that.

    A desktop will be cheaper (or at least more powerful for the same price) in every aspect.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral Killora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE, Montana
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Reason why is in the first post.
    That's...not a reason to buy a gaming laptop just for games, that's a reason to buy a gaming PC because he already has a laptop for college work.

    If he already has a laptop for mobility, like college work, he doesn't need a second laptop to exclusively play games on. He could get a half decent PC for $600. Getting a laptop that will play games very well for $600 isn't likely to happen, unless something is on mega sale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •