Poll: Ret or Prot for running Old Content

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret or Prot for running old content ?

What do you guys think ? what's the better spec for running old content and of course it's for Xmog gear . have in mind this aspects and raids:

- ilvl for both specs at 480-485 around that range.
    - Fast and Safe ( no wipes )
    - Able to avoid mechanics (example :like first boss in BT just burn it.)
    - BT , SSC , TK , Hyjal , KZ and last but not least Sunwell.

All the raids you listed are very easily and quickly doable as ret; prot doesn't begin to take over until you get into content that hits very, very hard (hence gives vengeance), which is at least 25m WotLK raids and Cata raids.

Quote Originally Posted by shynoz View Post
    Only fight in that list I found easier as prot was Brutallus.

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Only fight in that list I found easier as prot was Brutallus.
    He's an absolute joke as Ret, got him in something like a minute this week.

I haven't found any old content (only doing pre-Cata raids) to be easier to solo as prot.

Yea if you've got relatively decent Ret gear then you burst brutallus to pieces.

In my experience it's Wrath content and up that Prot becomes better at...and not even necessarily better. It's a case by case basis. Depends if surviving is the issue or if needing to kill quickly is more important.

Would say anything before WotLK as ret, anything afterwards should be doable as ret, however prot might be more suitable. I have done Sapphiron 25 as retribution, for example.

I just started soloing stuff w/my ret pally alt...505 ilvl, has done everything as ret through the first few bosses of ICC 10...got stuck at Saurfang, the damage was a little much..only gave it two attempts though, not sure if I'm going to have to go prot or not. I have a feeling I will have to though due to his heal.

Up to HC 25 ICC i did most as Ret & pretty easly.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Given the constraints set forth by the OP, I had to vote Ret. Had he/she included L80-90 content, this thread would be less poll-friendly and would probably require a fight-by-fight breakdown of which spec is superior for each. Ret should be superior at least through Sunwell (dependent on gear), with Prot likely mandatory (at least with currently available gear) if you're looking at something like solo HC LK 25.

Something worth noting is that Prot only really takes over in damage when you get decent vengeance, and that only happens in fights that do extreme/impossible amounts of damage to you if you're Ret.

So you'll notice when Prot becomes superior, which is when (and only when) it becomes required for survival.

Ret til ~25H ICC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah all depends on the fight I found almost everything below Wrath can be done on Ret without issue... Prot was required for some Wrath fights.

both. Some fights you want the survivability of prot while others need the dps of ret. I don't have the dps to kill XT on 25 man but when I switch to ret I can kill him no problem. For TBC raids I'd primarily stick to ret.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could get alot of ICC 10 but there are some bosses I can't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy named Nobbel on youtube has solod I believe everything in ICC 10m HC as retribution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shynoz View Post
    What do you guys think ? what's the better spec for running old content and of course it's for Xmog gear . have in mind this aspects and raids:

- ilvl for both specs at 480-485 around that range.
    - Fast and Safe ( no wipes )
    - Able to avoid mechanics (example :like first boss in BT just burn it.)
    BT - I found I could do everything up until council as Ret with the exception of Gurtogg.
    SSC - haven't tried with Karathress being bugged (dont know if they've fixed it since I tried last)
    TK - Everything there is easily done as Ret.
    Hyjal - Rage can die in a fire, Everything else can be done as Ret.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Retri has more selfheal and higher dmg as long as vegenance is not going high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will agree with most here and say Retri up to ICC25 HC.

Personally i've run some of the wrath raids - had no problems on TOC 10 norm or up to Anub on HC (I hate him), yet to try 25.

ICC10 is fully soloable as retri, Saurfang is a dps / survival check and requires some real CD management to get through it, LK can be a pain with infest but most other bosses are a cakewalk.

As far as I'm aware most fights in ICC10HC are soloable as well (apparently Saurfang isn't - he hits too hard) - but I'm yet to try beyond Lootship atm.

Ulduar is another on my agenda - might try some of the hard modes on 10 man to see where I can get.

Terahertz, I believe he has done everything bar Saurfang (as above) due to the DPS requirements - but I haven't checked his channel recently to see if he has revisited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsod View Post
    Retri has more selfheal and higher dmg as long as vegenance is not going high.
    Definitely doesn't have more self heals but yes on the higher damage without cheesing vengeance for sure.