View Poll Results: Has Obama failed to stand up for persecuted Christians?

Voters
56. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

13 23.21%
  • No.

37 66.07%
  • Uncertain.

6 10.71%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Has Barack Obama failed to stand up for "persecuted" Christians in the Middle East?

This is an argument I have heard many times, from both Christians and non-Christians alike. A man who I greatly admire, Pat Condell, has also levied criticism of Obama's silence on religious persecution in the Middle East. Some accuse Barack Obama of ignoring the persecution of Christians, because it is politically inconvenient for him, given that he has supported many of the groups behind this attacks. Others claim that he is avoiding the issue, out of fear of insulting Muslims. Others insist that Obama simply doesn't view religious persecution and genocide are important issues in the grand scheme of things. What do you think, do you believe Barack Obama has failed to adequately speak out against (or even take action against) religious persecution?

For the sake of discussion, "stand up for," shall refer to publicly condemning the atrocities committed.

Video:
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-05-06 at 04:55 AM.

Deleted
    I believe that we should not have to stand up for anybody, anywhere outside of our country unless we have to.

I'm not going to watch your youtube video, but I'm for a much more non-interventionist stance by the US about Foreign Affairs, so I don't have a problem with the government 'ignoring' the plight of different religious factions in other countries.

Deleted
    People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

aka

Some would call Americas actions in the past decade persecution of muslims.

What do you want him to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What do you want him to do?
    Clearly Obama should lead invasions of every country that doesn't bow down to a Christian Theocracy.

No.
    We aren't the protectors of the Christians.
    For us as a nation to stand up to persecution of Christians in another country while Christians in our own country persecute our own people... Well now... that would just be outrageously hilarious...

*Edit* BTW! For us as a nation to take sides in a conflict based purely on Religion... Well, that wouldn't end well for the people in power...
    I know it might disappoint some Americans but not everyone in the country is a Christian or believes that we are a Christian nation...

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

aka

Some would call Americas actions in the past decade persecution of muslims.
    very much this. we really have no leg to stand on in terms of upholding peoples rights in the middle east.

Yeah lets just keep starting wars over 2000 year old mythological bullshit! Just keep starting them until we either run out of brown people who worship the wrong imaginary friend or our nation collapses from the trillions spent in keeping the old hatreds alive!
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Hows that crusade karma feeling?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

What does America have to do with Christianity?

Edit: Also, your poll doesn't seem to have an option for those of us who don't think it's something the president of America has a vested interest in.
    Last edited by Urobolos; 2013-05-06 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Urobolos View Post
    What does America have to do with Christianity?
    nothing, at least not to christian "victims".

Why is this obama's issue?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Should be 'yes'. It's not America's dang job to stand up for 'persecuted' christians in the middle east.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Because some people need to invent issues to criticize people they don't politically or morally agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Hows that crusade karma feeling?
    Nobody alive today participated in the crusades.

Karma doesn't apply. Thank you for breathing new life into the ignorant idea that race/ethnicity/religion/etc somehow perpetuate collective responsibility for past behavior. For a second I was worried that bullshit like racism might be coming to an end.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-05-06 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    I believe that we should not have to stand up for anybody, anywhere outside of our country unless we have to.
    At some point we need to focus on issues inside our own borders and stop fighting other peoples battles for them. If they are Americans traveling then yes we should do something, but because they are Americans not because of the name they give their god. If they are not American then their own government or church and fight their fights for them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Been listening to the video...

I'm sorry... but this guy sounds like a nutcase...

"The American president has a duty to the whole free world to stand up for American values, not third world values, because despite all the propaganda they are not in-fact equal."
    Since its on the topic of Christian persecution in the Islamic world I wonder if this guy even has any idea that American values do NOT equal Christian values...
    They are in-fact two very different things... Something that I think the people of this country need to be sorely reminded of...

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I once saw a Televangelist talk about this very subject, he said that America was a lion sent by God to protect the lamb of Christianity. Apparently some Christians are deluded into thinking that this is not only a Christian nation but believe we are essentially God's army created to protect christianity across the world.

Ludicrous, but whatcha gonna do?

Also last time I checked, lions eat lambs.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

No, he has not failed because it is not the job of Obama or any public leadership of the US to 'stand up' for any religion, even if 'stand up' according to this thread is simply public condemnation of whatever might have been or is being done. That said, if there are acts of cruelty or violence or anything else being done by anyone regardless of their motivations, there may be *something* to be said, but it needs to stay out of all religious context.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!