1. #1

    Frost and Unholy

    I use to be DPS last Tier (MSV, HoF, ToES) and played 2H Frost. I was almost always on top the charts in a high progression 25M guild. For this Tier im in a 10M guild now and am a Tank. This week however I am going DPS because the Heroic is a 1 Tank fight and I have the most DPS gear out of the 2 Tanks. We only got 30min in on the boss but are coming back tomorrow. I did horrible as Frost in my opinion. I know im not as geared as our other DPS cause im a Tank but I have a 510 ilvl. Has Frost been sucking it up this Tier or is it just me? Im thinking I may need to go Unholy if it's crushing Frost.

  2. #2
    Frost seems to scale incredibly bad with gear sadly.

    2H hand frost Sims in the top 5 in 496 and drops to almost last after that threshold.
    Forget junk, my panda's got FUNK!
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    You know what happened when i started playing in TBC in 2.1 and rolled ret as my first char? Lol ret , Lol ret , Lol ret , Lol ret You know what i was saying in a few months? Lol hows kara? Then I cleared BT/SW while they followed behind me sniffing my gloriously rosey turds.

  3. #3
    2h frost is shitty at higher ilvls unfortunately.

  4. #4
    The Patient Nedda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    280
    UH > DW Frost > 2H Frost if played right

  5. #5
    Dreadlord vmagik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acherus
    Posts
    849
    Don't let people tell you "unholy is king, all other specs are worthless" because, especially at 510-520ilvl that's simply not the case. All 3 playstyles (4 if you include festerblight for some encounters) are absolutely competitive this tier - unfortunately unholy and DW just have an easier time when it comes to AOE/cleave happy encounters (which is quite a few).

    Play the spec you're best at - apart from a couple of fights like tortos, horridon and to a lesser extent council and primordius you're not going to be doubling your DPS or anything by switching to unholy.

    And yes, 2H is very much focussed on having the best weapon possible, DW needs a good mix of decent weapon and gear, unholy is more concerned with your gear/stats.
    Last edited by vmagik; 2013-05-10 at 01:31 PM.
    Amazing signature courtesy of Shyama

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    Don't let people tell you "unholy is king, all other specs are worthless" because, especially at 510-520ilvl that's simply not the case. All 3 playstyles (4 if you include festerblight for some encounters) are absolutely competitive this tier - unfortunately unholy and DW just have an easier time when it comes to AOE/cleave happy encounters (which is quite a few).

    Play the spec you're best at - apart from a couple of fights like tortos, primordius and (to a lesser extent) council you're not going to be doubling your DPS or anything by switching to unholy.

    And yes, 2H is very much focussed on having the best weapon possible, DW needs a good mix of decent weapon and gear, unholy is more concerned with your gear/stats.
    i switched from 2h frost to dw when i got the hrc axe from jin'rok and the normal one from tortos, and seeing this makes me think i did a good choice. but the more i read on the forums, which i basicly never visit, i start to wonder if i should make the switch to unholy even though i have absolutley no experience in it. should i just go with what you said and just remain frost which im used to, or level up another dk in unholy to learn the spec a bit without having to spend a lot of gold for potentionally nothing?
    Last edited by redictor; 2013-05-10 at 01:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord vmagik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acherus
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelleelle View Post
    i switched from 2h frost to dw when i got the hrc axe from jin'rok and the normal one from tortos, and seeing this makes me think i did a good choice. but the more i read on the forums, which i basicly never visit, i start to wonder if i should make the switch to unholy even though i have absolutley no experience in it. should i just go with what you said and just remain frost which im used to, or level up another dk in unholy to learn the spec a bit without having to spend a lot of gold for potentionally nothing?
    There's no real answer to that. As someone who loves the unholy playstyle it would be easy for me to say "yeah, go unholy, it has the most damage potential this tier" but then if you don't have experience with that spec then it is a little different from playing both frost specs and would take some getting used to. If you have a semi-decent 2H weapon I'd personally just bite the bullet and respec/regem/reforge rather than levelling an entirely new character (seeing as you won't see the potential until your new char is geared anyway!). Try it out for a couple of weeks, get DKDOTS and get used to applying strong diseases with outbreak (trinket/str procs) and pooling a bit of runic power when dark transformation's about to drop off.

    DW frost is definitely still completely competitive. Especially with the amount of USEFUL passive cleave you get while doing a single target rotation (by useful I mean it's not "padding" like protectors in ToES) but, single target wise it's going to fall behind slightly. Luckily, once you get to heroic encounters a lot of those single target fights end up with adds anyway!

    Try it out, you have nothing to lose (a few hundred gold is worth it!)
    Amazing signature courtesy of Shyama

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    If you have a semi-decent 2H weapon I'd personally just bite the bullet and respec/regem/reforge rather than levelling an entirely new character (seeing as you won't see the potential until your new char is geared anyway!). Try it out for a couple of weeks, get DKDOTS and get used to applying strong diseases with outbreak (trinket/str procs) and pooling a bit of runic power when dark transformation's about to drop off.

    Try it out, you have nothing to lose (a few hundred gold is worth it!)
    i still have the 2h i had previously, it was the normal version of council. but because im currently a bit low on gold, im not entirely sure if i should spend the money. especially since i spent a total of 4k on switching from 2h to dw, reforging and regemming everything i had from haste build to mastery build.
    it also comes down to which of my specs i wanna give up, frost or blood, both of which i have long-term experience in, if only i dont get to go blood very often nowadays. sorry, but i really cant decide if i wanna go through with this or not

  9. #9
    Dreadlord vmagik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acherus
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelleelle View Post
    i still have the 2h i had previously, it was the normal version of council. but because im currently a bit low on gold, im not entirely sure if i should spend the money. especially since i spent a total of 4k on switching from 2h to dw, reforging and regemming everything i had from haste build to mastery build.
    it also comes down to which of my specs i wanna give up, frost or blood, both of which i have long-term experience in, if only i dont get to go blood very often nowadays. sorry, but i really cant decide if i wanna go through with this or not
    That's just my opinion dude, nobody's forcing you :-D

    If you're happy/experienced with DW then, like I said it's still really competitive.
    Amazing signature courtesy of Shyama

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    That's just my opinion dude, nobody's forcing you :-D

    If you're happy/experienced with DW then, like I said it's still really competitive.
    right, right, my bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •