Deleted

disc question - aoe healing

( sry if this was asked somewhere else )

hi all,

i'm very new to discipline priest ( began for few days) and the normal aoe healing isnt really clear for me

for example: rampage by megaera, ~ 15 sec bevore i begin to stack spirit shell and during ramapage i use divine star ( at the beginning one and at the end to top the grp ) but then there are still ~ 5-7 sek where dmg is incoming..
    but how do i aoe heal when spirit shell is on cd / not good in this situiation and the 90 talent is on cd too ?

Do i simply spam PoH,do i smite, do these both situational or something else in the end ?

You use archangel and spam PoH, or throw some shields around. Rampages are not all on the healers, the raid should be mitigating as much damage as possible and taking down the heads faster

Deleted
    As a disc priest myself, I use PoM on CD during sustained AoE. I then try to spam PoH, unless someone in the raid is low on hp. I often find my PoH way too slow to keep ppl alive that are already low. In that case I prefer casting a penance or flash heal until everyone is above a certain safety margin (which depends on your fellow healers and the encounter ofc). If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say about 50% hp is the safety margin on meg rampages #5 & 6 for me.

If the raid is roughly 80% or higher, I start to consider atonement instead if PoH. I never stop casting PoM for AoE healing though, in fact, it's often the first spell I'll fire off. Also, don't forget PW: Solace since it's a nice smart heal.

In the end though, burst AoE healing is definitely our weak spot. PoH feels weak unless you have full archangel, but is the only spammable spell we have for AoE healing. Luckily, spirit shell makes up for a lot

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CopyKat View Post
    Also, don't forget PW: Solace since it's a nice smart heal.
    Offensive Penance is also very effective via atonement (until 5.3, where it should still be good, just not AS good as right now), and should be used on CD on bosses (unless someone is in the red zone, where you use use PW:Shield and then a Borrowed Time enhanced Penanced to heal them up even faster). Everything else is as stated above:

-Prayer of Mending on CD (when there is raid damage over a period of time, NOT for one time hits/ for example: Jin-Rokh's Lightning Storm; Horridon's Gurubashi Gate for poisons; Council's Sandstorm and Frostbite; Tortos' Quake Stomp; Meagera's Rampage; Ji'Kun's Quills; et al.) Any/all abilities which do repetitive damage over a span of time.
    -Divine Star/Cascade (depends on fight).
    -PW:Solace/Holy Fire + Offensive Penance (except if there are low-health targets) on CD
    -Pre-cast SS (with Archangel if possible) on every timed ability (except if it has less than 1 minute CD, like Torto's quake stomp, where you use it every other time it comes up).
    -Inner Focus + Archangel + Power Infusion (if talented) then Prayer of Healing
    -PW:Shield on any other low HP targets
    -Smite filler when only a couple of people are suffering dmg

It's also very important to know which PoH target will benefit the group the most. There are a couple of addons that help you in this regard, but it also comes down to your raid's positioning, and you must train them to stick relatively together to improve your effectiveness. Having people spread all over an encounter area plays havoc on any healers' effectiveness, but we are definitely the spec that suffers the most for it.

This is mainly for 10-man raiding. For 25-man, atonement has a lesser impact, and you must make use of Borrowed Time'd PoH's more often (rarely will you use Smite filler)
    Last edited by Yetiman; 2013-05-08 at 07:38 PM.
    "Shit Happens" - Well, imagine if a pegasus had the bowel-control ability of a pigeon, there'd be a lot of cases saying the following: "Cause of Death: Killed by a giant flying piece of shit...."

PoM on CD is usually not a good idea, especially if you have 2pc T15. Get an addon to track PoM and only recast it after it expires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    PoM on CD is usually not a good idea, especially if you have 2pc T15. Get an addon to track PoM and only recast it after it expires.
    Not always true, either. Sometimes its better to recast right before some AoE, so that 5 charges get used, and CD comes off during the AoE, so that you can use it again.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That generally is the rule, but OP was making a special reference to AoE healing. Granted, if it's one big hit, PoM loses effectiveness, but if it's a barrage-type ability (Ji'Qun Quills for example), then it becomes extremely effective. I guess I'm nitpicking, but thanks for the correction, since I wasn't explicit above . Most bosses on ToT tend to have at least one ability of this type:

Jin'Rokh: Lightning Storm
    Horridon: Farraki Gate -> Flame Dot (helps when you have dispels on CD); Gurubashi Gate -> Poisons; Drakkari Gate -> Diseases and Floating frost orbs; Amani Gate-> Curses.
    Council of Elders: Empowered Frost King Malack's Frostbite; Empowered Zul the Sandcrawlers' Sandstorm; Empowered Kazra'jin's Overload.
    Tortos: Quake Stomp and subsequent rock fall's damage.
    Maegera: Rampage
    Ji'Qun: Quills
    Durumu: Fog monster's phase (people standing in a cone of energy); Disintegration Beam phase while moving.
    Primordius: There's constant damage going out in the second half of this fight, its intensity and frequency depending on Primordius' mutations.
    Dark Animus: Latter half of this fight, there's constant ticking damage for the whole raid.
    Iron Quon: Last phase is insane AoE healing
    Twin Consorts: Last phase is heavy AoE healing
    Lei Shen: 2nd Phase with lightning adds, Last Phase with all abilities, plenty of damage going around.

This is a list where, in my opinion, Prayer of Mending must be used on CD IN THOSE SPECIFIC MECHANICS (I'm pretty sure I've probably missed several, since I haven't gotten to clearing the second half of ToT on normal mode; /hooray for casual guilds :/ )
    Last edited by Yetiman; 2013-05-08 at 07:56 PM.
    "Shit Happens" - Well, imagine if a pegasus had the bowel-control ability of a pigeon, there'd be a lot of cases saying the following: "Cause of Death: Killed by a giant flying piece of shit...."

Quote Originally Posted by CopyKat View Post
    As a disc priest myself, I use PoM on CD during sustained AoE. I then try to spam PoH, unless someone in the raid is low on hp. I often find my PoH way too slow to keep ppl alive that are already low. In that case I prefer casting a penance or flash heal until everyone is above a certain safety margin (which depends on your fellow healers and the encounter ofc). If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say about 50% hp is the safety margin on meg rampages #5 & 6 for me.

If the raid is roughly 80% or higher, I start to consider atonement instead if PoH. I never stop casting PoM for AoE healing though, in fact, it's often the first spell I'll fire off. Also, don't forget PW: Solace since it's a nice smart heal.

In the end though, burst AoE healing is definitely our weak spot. PoH feels weak unless you have full archangel, but is the only spammable spell we have for AoE healing. Luckily, spirit shell makes up for a lot
    You should pw:s those low people instead and try doing it only when you have rapture available during phases when poh does better healing. Penancing the boss would also be a better option as you are probably going to heal all those low hp ppl in the raid with the 3 pulses of penance.
    Last edited by Rorschachs; 2013-05-09 at 08:27 AM.

For Maegara rampage it's better to use SS when the rampage starts then just spam PoH during it. It's guaranteed 0 over heal. If you spend time stacking it before rampage they just get taken off in 1 or 2 ticks. On Heroic during rampage my priority is Divine Star > PoM > SS + PoH if the healing is needed, but for the first 4 rampages you can get away with mostly atonement.

SpiritShell isn't really a throughput CD anymore unless it's pre-cast, so I don't see the point in waiting. If you pre-cast and it falls off quickly you still had 0 overheal and can now start directly healing with your other spells. I typically do what Yetiman said in sustained heavy AoE.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing that will help ALOT is you can get your groups organized. In 10-mans it's very easy (all depends on your group's comp): 1 group is melee (2 tanks, 0-3 melee, 0-2 healers, 0-1 ranged), 2nd group is ranged (2-4 ranged, 0-3 healers). For example, in my group we tend to run with 3 healers, 2 melee and 3 ranged dps. So it would go something like this:

Group 1: 2 tanks, 2 melees, 1 healer (usually me)
    Group 2: 3 ranged, 2 healers.

What you have to be able to determine is who will work as your "Prayer Beacon", as it's referred to: A person who's positioned in such a way that the rest of his group is within a 20 yd. hemisphere centered on him (or most of them at least). This will help out a great deal in maximizing your PoH's effectiveness.