Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck View Post
    however, humanity as a whole is one of the smartest things that exist. not because we complement each other so well, but because in a hivemind, the most prominent opinion or idea is nearly always the one that's closest to the common truth.

in this case, because so many people have the idea that these kanji mean "seize the day" when translated to English, I'd say that that's the most likely answer. and the OP confirmed it, so we know it's correct.
    The opposite can easily happen as well. Hivemind makes people agree, and not necessarily because it's true but because everyone else also seems to agree. It's entirely possible to have an entire thread of people "playing along" for the joke value. It happens, and anyone on the internet has probably seen it before. I'm sure you have yourself.

I'm all for being optimistic about humanity, but this is an area I am in favour of maximum cautiousness.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorooz View Post
    because i prefer the japanese version of this meaning .
    the english (or french as i m french) is not as appealing as the japanese version.
    and i have been to japan 3 times.

But you don't even know what the thing you posted meant.

And you say you like it better because the

what.

http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary...%E3%82%8B.html

Quote Originally Posted by likemah View Post
    Where'd you get this info? He clearly says he has confirmation from 2 people but he'd like more opinions.
    Last edited by Cyzen; 2013-05-06 at 07:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I would argue the opposite. A single person can be smart, a group of people is almost always dumb.
    Actually, it depends on the subject matter, and on the reasoning of the person.

for facts, like "how many beans can fit in this jar?", we've found that if you ask a reasonable amount of humans, say 200, you're going to get a pretty wide spread of answers, but if you take the average of what these 200 people guessed, you're going to get amazingly close to the actual answer. close as in 1% difference.

if you're going by opinions on a controversial topic, you have a different scenario, one that is close to what you state. if you ask 500 random americans what they think about gun violence, you're going to have wildly different answers, but there will always be 2 major opinions: 1)" we need guns to defend ourselves "and 2)" we need to restrict guns to the people that need them and can use them". however, 95% of these people are going to have this opinion because of the blind following of someone they admire. Everyone agrees though on the principle opinion that we need to do something about the gun violence. that's the general opinion on gun violence. However, some people, the smart people, are going to say "Gun violence related deaths are only a tiny fraction of the deaths in the US. we need to make our roads safer and our people less obese, and that will save a lot more people than reducing the gun violence".

but let's not make this about gun violence. my point is that when it is about facts, the hivemind of humanity is usually correct. but if it's about opinions, the hivemind is often divided, while some individuals can see through the fog of the opinion and get to the core issue. in this case, you're correct that the single person is smart and the group is dumb. however, sometimes a smart man can make the group see that they're dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    NEVER get a tattoo you cannot translate yourself!

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/l...tattoos-724258
    I really like numbers 6 & 7.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by likemah View Post

And you say you like it better because the

what.

you obviously didn t read the first post as i stated that i knew what it means but wanted confirmation. i m not stupid enough to rely only on MMO fanboys even if like i said most of people gave me good answer.

Thanks everybody, tatto in 48h i will send a pic.