Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    how are shadow dps compared to other classes?

    are they far behind?

  2. #2
    Depends on the fight. Solid on multi target fights, near the bottom on single target.

  3. #3
    depends on fight, mostly they are fine but to be close to good dps you really need to have good dot management.
    A good shadow will do the same amount as a average WL.

    Still worst movement class i believe ingame right now rest ist fine. DPS will go up with leishens 2t15 and LMG alot

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    Still worst movement class i believe ingame right now rest ist fine. DPS will go up with leishens 2t15 and LMG alot
    Totally not true. I lose almost no dps on movement fights. Spamming SW: P does around 70% mind flay damage on single target.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti @ 950 MHz | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply
    Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler | Samsung 23" 350 series LED monitor

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    Totally not true. I lose almost no dps on movement fights. Spamming SW: P does around 70% mind flay damage on single target.
    And overwriting better sw, no extra shadoworbs if DI doenst proc, no MF:I, and SW:P does aroung 40-50% of mindlay.

    still the rest of the range dps classes do alot more while running then a shadow priest.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    And overwriting better sw, no extra shadoworbs if DI doenst proc, no MF:I, and SW:P does aroung 40-50% of mindlay.

    still the rest of the range dps classes do alot more while running then a shadow priest.
    No extra shadow orbs without di? Name one fight where you cannot stop running and cast mind blast on cooldown this tier cuz I cant. Okay, maybe you have to delay MB for few seconds in some situations but there isnt really any fight this tier that constantly prevents you from casting mind blast on cooldown.

    For example on durumu(which i consider as a movement fight), even when u are running in the eye shore maze u can still cast mind blast on cooldown, refresh vt and even cast 2 full insanity mind flays after dp without letting the beam reach you.

    If there is heavy movement on the fight it doesnt mean that you have to run like a headless chicken and not do anything. You can move during GCDs, cast-move-cast-move and use ur shield speed boost and ofc we have our Glyph of Mind Flay that gives us nice speed boost after flaying.

    I agree that skill cap for movement dps as a spriest may be higher than on many other classes but our movement dps isnt as bad as ppl say it is.
    Last edited by AishaEU; 2013-05-06 at 10:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    Totally not true. I lose almost no dps on movement fights. Spamming SW: P does around 70% mind flay damage on single target.
    Sorry, but unless you're spec'd into FDCL/DI all the time, that's a hyperbole.

    Quote Originally Posted by AishaEU View Post
    No extra shadow orbs without di? Name one fight where you cannot stop running and cast mind blast on cooldown this tier cuz I cant. Okay, maybe you have to delay MB for few seconds in some situations but there isnt really any fight this tier that constantly prevents you from casting mind blast on cooldown.

    For example on durumu(which i consider as a movement fight), even when u are running in the eye shore maze u can still cast mind blast on cooldown, refresh vt and even cast 2 full insanity mind flays after dp without letting the beam reach you.

    I agree that skill cap for movement dps as a spriest may be higher than on many other classes but it isnt as bad as ppl say it is.
    You're missing the point. Without spec'ing into DI or FDCL, we can't do anything on the move if we don't already have orbs or aren't in execute phase. Other classes can do more than we can while moving and therefore better at it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    Sorry, but unless you're spec'd into FDCL/DI all the time, that's a hyperbole.



    You're missing the point. Without spec'ing into DI or FDCL, we can't do anything on the move if we don't already have orbs or aren't in execute phase. Other classes can do more than we can while moving and therefore better at it.

    I can see your point. But pretty much the only thing we lose while moving is our mind flay spam, which we can replace with SW:P spam. I agree its a dps loss but saying we cant do anything while moving is just bullsh*t imo.

    If there is heavy movement on a fight, it doesnt mean that you have to run like headless chicken for long periods of time. Atleast not this tier. On pretty much every fight you have enough time to stop moving for a sec and cast mind blast, VT, insanity etc. And we still can use instants like halo/ds/cascade, DP and swp whenever we want.

    I'm not saying that we are a good dps class for movement fights, not at all. But saying that we can do nothing while moving is misleading. If you cant do anything else than wait for the procs while ur running you should prolly improve ur playing

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    And overwriting better sw, no extra shadoworbs if DI doenst proc, no MF:I, and SW:P does aroung 40-50% of mindlay.

    still the rest of the range dps classes do alot more while running then a shadow priest.
    Mages say hi.

  10. #10
    They are above Avg,
    Assuming you play In a decent guild and you know how to play your class you can top the meters, ToT Is very nice for you.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by AishaEU View Post
    I can see your point but i cant see the problem. Heavy movement on a fight doesnt mean you have to run like a headless chicken doing nothing for long periods of time. If u cant do anything else than wait for the procs while ur moving you should prolly improve your playstyle.

    The only thing we really lose if we have to move long distances is mind flay spam and we can replace it with SW:P spam(its a dps loss yeah). But in pretty much every situation this tier you have time to stop running and cast mind blast on cooldown, refresh VT or cast insanity.

    Im not saying we are the best movement dps class, not at all. But we really arent as bad as you say we are.
    I wasnt talking about dururmu ofc a good spriests will use his MF glyph and not get hit while keeping up dots and mb. And im not saying Spriests do 0dps while moving just that almost every other class is better at it. Hunter, Warlocks can almost do their full rotation while running, eles with that running spell too. Mages can scorch. Even druids lunarshower buff makes their dot spam more effective than SW:P spam.

    Just because they are worse than other classes doenst mean they unplayable or you cant take them to high movement fights. Its just compared to others that dont lose as much dps as a spriest. Yes you can squeeze in a MB or VT, but you cant cast them while moving. If you have to stop your MF:I that a huge dps loss.

  12. #12
    Viromand speaks some very good truth. The key is to ensure you're in a good position to make the most of your casts. Pre-empt what can go wrong, don't just sit and wait for it to happen.

  13. #13
    Blizz should revert back to the old Mind Spike Glyph. I don't know why the nerf, the old spriest playstyle was perfect already. I don't know why blizz has to change it. Insanity was weak before its understandable to rework it but nerfing Mindspike Glyph i feel is not necessary.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    I wasnt talking about dururmu ofc a good spriests will use his MF glyph and not get hit while keeping up dots and mb.
    I have to say, I'm not loving the MF glyph. I've used it constantly til now and am seriously considering dropping it, because a lot of the time it actually slows me down.

    The problem is the bug where if you take an Angelic Feather with the MF glyph up, as soon as the MF glyph expires it will also remove your Feather sprint. It also prevents you using your engineering belt while it's up.

    This is incredibly frustrating if you need to move a long distance, as you need to watch the duration on MF glyph, wait for it to expire, and only then use your feather - all while spamming SW:P and watching where you're running. It's far easier to drop the glyph and just use a feather every time, though that is less efficient for short runs.

    Really wish they would fix the bug - I submitted a ticket and no word.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by dmfg View Post
    I have to say, I'm not loving the MF glyph. I've used it constantly til now and am seriously considering dropping it, because a lot of the time it actually slows me down.

    The problem is the bug where if you take an Angelic Feather with the MF glyph up, as soon as the MF glyph expires it will also remove your Feather sprint. It also prevents you using your engineering belt while it's up.

    This is incredibly frustrating if you need to move a long distance, as you need to watch the duration on MF glyph, wait for it to expire, and only then use your feather - all while spamming SW:P and watching where you're running. It's far easier to drop the glyph and just use a feather every time, though that is less efficient for short runs.

    Really wish they would fix the bug - I submitted a ticket and no word.
    I agree except for durumu. While Beamphase the speed boost you get from MF glyph is enough. unless you run in the back of the room, which is always a dps loss.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by dmfg View Post
    It also prevents you using your engineering belt while it's up.
    /cancelaura works.

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,098
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Mages say hi.
    Mage = Scorch (can proc pyro), Fireblast (can proc pyro), and Pyro.

    Spriest = overiding a stronger SW: P with a new one just so you have something to cast while moving.

    Not to mention you have Blink >.>.
    Last edited by Volitar; 2013-05-07 at 10:53 AM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Mage = Scorch (can proc pyro), Fireblast (can proc pyro), and Pyro.

    Spriest = overiding a stronger SW: P with a new one just so you have something to cast while moving.

    Not to mention you have Blink >.>.
    Fire, then. Which unless you're already in 515+ gear, is essentially unplayable anyway.

    Scorch is being made fire only in 5.3, meaning Frost gets Lance (Which is so low in damage without procs it's laughable), and Arcane gets to barrage. Once. Then they have nothing.

    SPriests refreshing SWP even if it overwrites a buff still does a lot more than Lance / AExplosion.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Fire, then. Which unless you're already in 515+ gear, is essentially unplayable anyway.

    Scorch is being made fire only in 5.3, meaning Frost gets Lance (Which is so low in damage without procs it's laughable), and Arcane gets to barrage. Once. Then they have nothing.

    SPriests refreshing SWP even if it overwrites a buff still does a lot more than Lance / AExplosion.
    little OT but Arcane has always been the low movement spec ever since it became viable.

    And mages have a talent that lets them use 2 casts while running. As a mage you can change speccs to fire on heavy movement. As a spriests you cant.

    All specs lose dps while running except hunters and warlocks. Some more than others but still SP loses the most. I mean actual dps while running for 5 seconds. not like durumu where you run for 2-3 seconds and cast 1-2 abilities run again.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Fire, then. Which unless you're already in 515+ gear, is essentially unplayable anyway.

    Scorch is being made fire only in 5.3, meaning Frost gets Lance (Which is so low in damage without procs it's laughable), and Arcane gets to barrage. Once. Then they have nothing.

    SPriests refreshing SWP even if it overwrites a buff still does a lot more than Lance / AExplosion.
    Yep, it's horrible for mages that only will have one spec that is better than shadow in every situation come 5.3:P. Also, excluding half the tools mages have to deal with movement seems a bit silly.

    Not that I really think that shadow is 'that' bad off when it comes to movement, it's very rare that you can't afford to stop for a second for mb/vt and I find it interesting to minimax your dps during movement/that your positioning matters. The only issue is that most other ranged dps lose very little (or no) dps from moving, which does put sp in a comparatively worse spot (when we already are relatively low on single target).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •