Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Dark Binding, Inner Fire, Inner Will, PoM, and Weakened Soul are the 5 glyphs I rotate around when soloing. For a boss like Gurtogg, I would probably suggest Inner Fire, Dark Binding and Weakened Soul. There's also the matter of consumables that you can use such as Potions, Flasks, food and drums if you have the money to spare. I also suggest you get those PvP gear if it will boost your item level up by around 20-30. Also just for your information, the boss you mentioned has actually been soloed in cataclysm, and there are some videos for it so watching them may also prove to be useful to you.
    Last edited by zsun; 2013-05-18 at 05:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    I think this sums it up pretty nicely, as far as damage from attonement you should do somewhere in the region of 60% -> 80% (very rough guestimate) of your shadow dps, try it out on a training dummy and see for yourself.
    are there any talents/glyphs that disc takes in regards to soloing that are different than what shadow takes for this fight?
    and how exactly does dpsing as disc work? what is the rotation for it?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-05-18 at 08:32 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay so i did much better this time as disc. i got bloodboil down to 15% then i ran out of mana and died. am i not managing my mana good enough? what is the proper rotation of cooldowns for disc? would appreciate some help before the servers go down for a reset in 20 or so hours.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    Why not bite the bullet and get into lfr, and take your item level up a little, say 460/465, it might make all the difference. Also you'll have some decent epics to transmog with your BT gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    Why not bite the bullet and get into lfr, and take your item level up a little, say 460/465, it might make all the difference. Also you'll have some decent epics to transmog with your BT gear
    okay thanks for the advice then. after going to the shado pan assault vendor and buying the 522 spirit necklace piece and enchanting my cloak/chest with glorious stats/intellect it gave me that bump i needed to down bloodboil. was close though. came close to dying when he confused me for only the fifth time during the last 5% with acidic wounds at 60 stacks. staff did not drop but robe did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    okay thanks for the advice then. after going to the shado pan assault vendor and buying the 522 spirit necklace piece and enchanting my cloak/chest with glorious stats/intellect it gave me that bump i needed to down bloodboil. was close though. came close to dying when he confused me for only the fifth time during the last 5% with acidic wounds at 60 stacks. staff did not drop but robe did.
    Nice one! Grats !

I had the same issues with Kael Thas, as my lock got better gear it became rediculously easy.

Deleted
    As disc, if you basically just use Holy Fire and Penance on cooldown and then use Smite as a filler, it's that simple. Take Glyph of Smite so you do a little more damage with it. Shield yourself when necessary.

Did you use your Mind Bender on cooldown?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    sorry to necro my own thread but i didnt want to make another one. so i passed the first boss in black temple and am stuck on gurtogg bloodboil got him to 62% and i died. is he at all possible to solo for shadow priests who ARENT raid geared? currently at ilvl 459. all dungeon blues. i really want that staff.
    i managed it as shadow, similar ilvl to you (although staff took about 15 attempts, so it got better over time). is pretty tricky, but not impossible as shadow.

personally i ran with glyph of inner fire, glyph of PoM and glyph of dark binding. make sure you keep shield, renew and POM up as much as possible, and pop vampiric embrace when you start taking heavy damage. make sure you blow all your cd's then to get as much healing off as possible. if you start taking heavy damage, lay down some feathers, sprint away and give yourself a couple of flash heals (also try to do this when he knocks you back). otherwise, not much else i can help you with xD

tbh, i died twice after the fight, OOM and that damn dot ticking hard, managed to loot him and then die =p

LFR scared me, but I took the leap and it's easy now.

Deleted
    LFR scares me too, some of the players I come across might have a driving licence.

Deleted
    I also got problems soloing old content with my shadow priest. To be honest, i'm still not very familiar with the priest at all
    I'm soloing old content since years with my warrior and after playing with this char for years i also got a max level alt now, the priest. My goal is to farm legendarys, so doing Ulduar25 and later Firelands 10.

I decided to play as shadow, as most videos about soloing were about shadows. I got ilvl 473 and tried ulduar25 yesterday for the first time alone. I got no problems with the flame leviathan, but then it got frustrating...
    I tried XT, Ignis and Razorscale but didn't get any of them under 80% and only made about 30k dps (i'm doing ~60k in lfr)...

Ok, i know i have to practice much more for more dps and passiv hps / absorb. After reading this thread i also changed my glyphs and some talent points. What else can i do? Which tier 6 talent are you using most of the time?
    Is there kind of a rotation for soloing bosses (let's say only one enemy, no adds and you can't keep him at distance for long) as shadow?

Deleted
    Of all the Tier 6 talents, Divine Star will give the best self heals plus will often suit solo fights (because the boss will be up in your face). Cascade won't heal you if you use it offensively and Halo won't get the best benefit if you're tanking the boss yourself at melee range.

With 473 I-level, there is room for improvement with your dps. Ask yourself, are you making best use of mind blast, are you getting every mind blast as soon as it comes of cooldown? That is the key to form a good basis for good dps. Get as many orbs as possible and don't waste them. You'll also do more self healing with that in mind from Devouring Plague.

I've never tried solo-ing Ulduar on my priest so can't comment on how hard it is, but do you often find yourself sacrificing DPS to use self heals?

Deleted
    Thanks for your hints! I tried it again and got XT25 down to 59% (dthe adds healed him way too much), i was able to increase my dps a bit with much more absorb / heal. Of course i'm doing way less damage than in a raid were i can completly do my dps abilities and there is still much room to grow, but it feels good too make a small step in the right way
    But i still did to less dps to defeat XT25 before his enrage.

Which are the easiest Ulduar25 bosses in your opinions?

I just did this recently. mostly blues and things; no raid gear at all at the time, even LFR.

The only problem for me was the stacking DOT as it adds up to 10kper second after a while. My dps isnt amazing. I used power infusion immediately so i could burn him down before it stacked too much and have it up again as soon as possible if needed. Shield whenever its up, renew constantly, prayer of mending, even a health potion then the 30% talent. If your dps isnt as terrible as mine it should be a cakewalk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    .....even a health potion then ....
    Not a dps pot?