Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    That's like saying we wouldn't be on the top if we weren't on the top. That's the point. Our ingenuity has put us at the top, but what if there was a creature who either developed better tools or negated our use of tools to become top of the chain.
    We would ditch our recreational efforts and focus them on creating better tools to beat them. Sadly, there really is no discussion here.

We'd do the following;

Build better tools
    Build better defenses

That's pretty much it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    There is like one reported incident of a wolf attack ever.
    In the US, maybe. In Europe, there are thousands in history - including man-eaters.

If humans weren't at the top? Simians will rule of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    What if humans weren't at the top of the food chain. i dont mean anything such as a monster just killing humans just because he can, but more like a being that uses humans as a food source similar to how we use animals as a food source.
    Better question. if we weren't, who or what would be? Then my follow on question would be. What happened in Human History to remove them as the top of the food chain?

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 01:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    We likely were once upon a time not the top, so we would just do the same things as we did before, kill them off and take over the world.
    Dont we need Pinky and the Brain for that?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldur View Post
    Tenacity and ingenuity are two distinctive human qualities.
    Just nothing about that statement is true. The fact is, we really don't even know how intelligent some animals are, like whales and dolphins for example. Generally speaking, they're judged by the fact that they don't speak human languages, so they must be brain-dead. We aren't smart enough to figure out how to communicate with them, they can't communicate with us, so we slaughter them wholesale for eating our fish. If you want to see a sad documentary about it going on in Japan.

That's ignoring the fact that other primates are actually capable of communicating using sign language, and we still look down on them as a lesser species and feel justified in torturing them. I'm not someone who believes animals are better than humans, but I also don't believe in torturing and killing other living animals and complete disregard for the environment for no reason, which happens all the time.

I can almost agree with germs being at the top of the food chain. If we weren't at the top of the food chain and some other species farmed us like cattle, I imagine that they'd care about our opinion on the matter as much as we care about ants.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    Technically we already are a food source; our deceased bodies serve as sustenance to microorganisms.
    However detrivores aren't fit in the food chain like carnivores/herbivores/plants are and therefore aren't on top of the food chain.

If there was something that would actively hunt humans for a source of food, then a lot of people would die as most humans aren't fit for survival of the fittest. We have been "on top of the food chain" for such a long time that a lot of traits in other animals aren't needed for humans (good hearing/sight/speed/whatever).
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bacteria; arnt they already at the top of the food chain? We (humans) are filled with them, our entire planet is covered by them, they can kill us and they feast upon us at their leisure. We clearly can't exterminate them all; we even need them -- they don't need us.

Just cause they are not big or have giant monster like teeth and claws doesn't mean they are not above us.
    Last edited by looorg; 2013-05-07 at 11:21 AM.

Then we'd be eaten? We currently would be eaten by animals if we did not have such good means to defend are selves and live in area's which they have no way of really hunting in. And if that was the case (which it probably was a long long time ago) then we would just learn to defend are selves and become like we are now. The only real way for us not to be top of the food chain in are current situation would probably be some sort of monster

Deleted
    That is impossible, aslong as we are human we will be ontop on the food chain. Species don't get nominated to be ontop, they earn it.

EDIT: well i suppose we're below micro organisms like the last posts said, but this is my answer to the OP's question

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Japanese asked this question. The manga and anime industry spat out "Attack on Titan" as the response. It's a beautiful series... And by beautiful I mean gory to the point of disgusting, angsty to the point of cutting yourself, and despair inducing to the point of making obscure video game references. In other words, the best kind of thing.

wikipedia article on said series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Uhm... humans are not at the top of the foodchain anyway...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the answer to the OP is to be seen in relation to location.
    Of course, we are the superior race on Earth. Yet... in rare occasion we lose the top spot. And then we're toast.
    There's a plethora of predators out there who know nothing, and don't give a shit about our top spot. They get you, they kill you, they eat you.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Corporations are people.
    Just because they look like us doesn't mean they are human. Its kinda like the US Govt they look like us but trust me they aren't human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I'll believe that after Texas executes one.
    Texas already has.*

*based on the assumption that Texas has the power to form and dissolve corporations.

Deleted
    To the people saying germs, bacteria and virus are above humans in the food chain; they really aren't. They are parasitic or symbiotic, they aren't purposely killing us in exchange for food, but just wanders around until they find something they can live off. And seeing as we use them for our purpose as well (even the deadly ones have some purpose), it would be an even 1st place.

If there were big monster things that ate us, I think we'd probably shoot them.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    What if humans weren't at the top of the food chain. i dont mean anything such as a monster just killing humans just because he can, but more like a being that uses humans as a food source similar to how we use animals as a food source.
    So lions, tigers, bears, crocodiles, snakes, sharks and you name it don't eat humans? My whole life was a lie!

However, if you mean a creature that is so powerful that we humans even with our tools don't stand a chance against then that seems VERY farfetched. It would need to be bigger than the biggest dinosaurs. Because even though a creature is big, we will win due to our tools and strength in numbers. It's how we drove many more larger animals to extinction in our ancient past.

Or it would need to be a creature that uses tools of its own. But then it would need to be intelligent, so perhaps you could reason with it and come to some sort of treaty.

Or would our own intelligence be inferior so we wouldn't have tools and we'd simply get eaten by an animal that's larger? Then I wouldn't even call us humans.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Humans have never really been at the top of the food chain. As primates we were scavengers (not apex predators), then by inventing domestication and agriculture we sorta divorced ourselves entirely from the ecological food chain. We live in a ecological bubble and largely do not interface with predators and prey at all.
    Tell that to a mammoth facing a hundred humans with spears. We win due to our tools and strength in numbers. But that doesn't mean none of us can get eaten. We will just come out on top in most cases. That's why so many species went extinct due to us. Try to look up megafauna, they're all extinct because we were hungry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibly Aliens? hmm....

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that depends, if the another race is also intelligent we will try to "make an alliance" with them and, in the end, noone will eat noone, is just the same as animals, imagine of the cows magicaly become as intelligents as humans to the point they can talk, we won't be able to eat cow mean anymore cause they will be considered an intelligent bean and, in the end, they will be considered to have feeling so we will have no right to do what we do...

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what: