Poll: Should we ignore the loss of freedom and liberty?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 28
... LastLast

Obama: "We need to ignore signs of tyranny."

A very frightening speech, one that you would expect to come out of the mouth of a dictator. Obama has "warned" us that we should ignore the warning signs of tyranny and the loss of our civil liberties. He claims that this is just "self-rule" and "democracy" in action. I wonder if Obama realizes that the United States is a federal constitutional republic, not a democracy? If not he may want to demand a refund for his constitutional law degree...

Here's the speech:

10+ Year Old Account
    You're taking one line out of context.

15+ Year Old Account
    People who think Obama is a tyrant or a dictator really need to look up the meaning of those words, badly, and then stop watching right wing mouth piece media.

Did you listen to him? He said to ignore the whistleblowers (the voices that would tell you of tyranny, aka conspiracy theorists). He never said to not question the government.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You're really bad at interpreting things...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    You're taking one line out of context.
    I saw the entire speech, and I gotta say those lines about trusting the government and ignoring tyranny were unsettling, at least a little bit. Maybe it's not so much what he said but who said it that made me wary.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 02:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    People who think Obama is a tyrant or a dictator really need to look up the meaning of those words, badly, and then stop watching right wing mouth piece media.

Did you listen to him? He said to ignore the whistleblowers (the voices that would tell you of tyranny, aka conspiracy theorists). He never said to not question the government.
    He should follow his own advice.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Whistle blowers do the other half of "questioning the government". They are vital to democracy and liberalism.

Actually, he warned us to watch out for the crazies, those ignorant of the constitution and the fear mongerers, and instead embrace a greater vision and destiny for our nation, free of fear, hate, bigoty and injustice. Basically, we need to think for ourselves, and not have others think for us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Listen to the whistle blowers if they are legitimate, don't listen to the conspiracy nuts. There are a ton of the latter out there, and I reiterate, people who think obama is a tyrant or dictator desperately need to look up the meaning of those words.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

He said that because saying "ignore the assholes who spew hyperbolic bullshit" doesn't sound quite as good in an official speech.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    Actually, he warned us to watch out for the crazies, those ignorant of the constitution and the fear mongerers, and instead embrace a greater vision and destiny for our nation, free of fear, hate, bigoty and injustice. Basically, we need to think for ourselves, and not have others think for us.
    I think this more aligns with his sentiment.

big government is ALWAYS bad.

Yet he has done nothing but promote the idea that people are too stupid to think for themselves, and thus need the government to babysit them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this. We fear monger way too much here in America. We always think we're on the brink of annihilation or tyranny. Really keeps us in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    big government is ALWAYS bad.
    not really. but i dont see why you're saying that in this context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Yet he has done nothing but promote the idea that people are too stupid to think for themselves, and thus need the government to babysit them?
    People are too stupid to think for themselves, that's why they go to school.

But he didn't connect this idea with government. He was simply saying that government has its place, and is not inherently evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    are you actually asking? or just spewing talking points?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this more aligns with his sentiment.
    Which is why his speech smacked of collectivist undertones and encouraging trust of our government when it warrants none.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you took that waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of context.

He's basically saying you should ignore the people who blindly act like all government is evil and corrupt. He even goes on to explain further that government is not the solution to everything, but that you shouldn't see it as something evil and in the way, or your undermining the self-rule experiment the founders started 250 years ago.

That's not the same thing as saying "ignore people who warn of tyranny."
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this. We fear monger way too much here in America. We always think we're on the brink of annihilation or tyranny. Really keeps us in the past
    By what metric? It's better to be skeptical than gullible.

Because it's not like there have been any attacks on freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, the right to bear arms, the right to due process and the Tenth Amendment over the past decade, right?