Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to get back into Normal Raiding

So, basically I decided to try and get back into normal raiding this summer. I first started raiding in Dragon Soul, a few months after the game and joined my irl friends guild and I raided with them from Dragon Soul to about halfway through the 5.0 raids. I got 8/8N DS and 10/16 in MoP then quit raiding to do PvP. My real question is, what's the best way to get back into raiding on a new toon, different faction and different server? The old toon was the mage in my signature, new one is the Warlock. I have been doing the LFRs and world bosses to try and gear as well as catch up in the legendary questline but I'm at a loss as how to get into a decent guild with the little T15 experience I have. Any advice is appreciated
    Zhulrak
    Kil'jaeden-US

Open raid will let you get experience in T14 on your warlock, with Achievements and some T14 gear you might be able to find a guild willing to do trials.

you're not going to get a 'decent' guild, unless you have some sort of connections/know people.

just apply to whoever you can. do some pugs. look out for guilds that are pugging spots because they have people away etc.

Finding a 12/12 N guild shouldn't be too hard, provided you are a good player and have 490+ ilvl. You're a Warlock, so it's pretty easy to show good mechanics through good survivability, high DoT uptimes, etc.

Deleted
    If you can write a semi decent application, compose and represent yourself well in-game and in vent and you're a little patient you'll find plenty of guilds willing to give you a shot.

What you should be asking instead is how to make yourself valuable to those guilds and be a good raider. Getting invited is easy, sticking around is usually harder. If I recruited you given your practically non existent raiding experience, your relatively low goals (normal modes) and the fact that you quit to PvP will all make me question how committed you are and more importantly, how good you are. I'd be looking at you from your very first raid to try and figure out if you're worth my time.

Are you good? Can you improve in any ways? Can you show a potential GM why you'd make it worth their time to take you to raids? Most people are willing to give you a shot if you show them will, motivation and effort.

Pugging can help you get experience. You may not get into a 12/12 TOT guild right off the bat, but I bet you can find a 3/12 without much trouble.

But ask around with some normal mode guilds and maybe put in an app or two. It never hurts to ask!

Alright thanks for the tips guys I'll start doing some OpenRaid stuff then look for somewhere to apply or find some ToT PuGs
    Zhulrak
    Kil'jaeden-US

With the changes that have been made recently, even not having played in a while, it shouldn't pose much of a problem to get your self raid-ready. That is different from actually getting into normal mode raiding though.

What I would suggest is to choose what class/spec you think you'd enjoy most. Ready on this website or others like wow.joystiq.com can give you ideas of the changes that have come out since you've left.

Once you're 90 then it's just a matter of doing your dailies, especially on the Isle of Thunder, where you can get a LOT of Charms that will you give you extra chances on loot in your LFRs you run every week. Getting through T14 into T15 is just a matter of time.

I'm sure a lot of what I said sounds like mumbo jumbo, but once you start to read on the changes made, and really just experiencing the game on your own, it'll make a lot of sense. Spend time on your class, get some gear, then hit up the forums or watch trade for groups looking to recruit.

Good luck!

I would recommend trying to get into a normal mode raiding guild that is decently progressed in Throne of Thunder straigt away. Make a good application, link them your mage and tell them your story. Any reasonable normal mode guild that is like 7-8/12 right now will want a player with your experience in the team.

That's what I would do.

Deleted
    I don't know what universe you live in, but on my server there are 2 types of guilds: 1-3/12N guilds that are lucky if they can get 10 people online, and 12/12N guilds that are so busy progressing heroics that they can't possibly recruit someone who's less progressed and geared than them. But nothing in the middle. This leaves people like me jumping from one shit guild to another getting bored.

On the other hand you might have a better luck because you don't play melee.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    you don't play melee.
    This is probably the most important part to keep in mind. That's your biggest selling point, believe me. (I play melee)

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say get in some pugs to clear some ToT normal bosses first.
    Depending on what server you're playing there should be enough pug groups going that can clear 6+ bosses.
    Then you can show the guilds you're applying for that you have done some bosses at least.
    + it's nice for your iLvl

Deleted
    A normal guild asking for long, drawn out applications or interviews would be an instant red flag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhulrak View Post
    Alright thanks for the tips guys I'll start doing some OpenRaid stuff then look for somewhere to apply or find some ToT PuGs
    The first place I would check is your realm forum on battle.net. Just see if there are any guilds posting looking for warlocks or just generic ranged dps. See if you can talk to an officer/raid leader/gm and see if they'll give you a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Finding a 12/12 N guild shouldn't be too hard, provided you are a good player and have 490+ ilvl. You're a Warlock, so it's pretty easy to show good mechanics through good survivability, high DoT uptimes, etc.
    Well the thing is its kinda opposite from what i see on my server - u have very few (out of all raiding guilds) 12/12N guilds and there is plenety of poeple with 515-520 gear who would like to hop up to guild with better progress. people with like 500 itlv have very low chance to get into guild which start HC. because all agree that skilsl can take one far - but the sclaing of gear is insane in this tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    Depending on what server you're playing there should be enough pug groups going that can clear 6+ bosses.
    l
    Im sory but this is another fairly tail - pugs that are competent enough to progress further then 6 bosses are the ones wanting FoS to even start talking to them. Unless u mean guild run which looks for 1 dps spot and have 50 people wanting to join in (on wednesday.thursday night )
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2013-05-08 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    you're not going to get a 'decent' guild, unless you have some sort of connections/know people.

just apply to whoever you can. do some pugs. look out for guilds that are pugging spots because they have people away etc.
    i must say this is most true its just hard to find guilds mid tier..thats why i'll probably quit.. but u are rdps so it should be much easier to get in decent guild
    Last edited by Ianus; 2013-05-09 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasc View Post
    A normal guild asking for long, drawn out applications or interviews would be an instant red flag for me.
    A normal guild is one that accepts apps or has the game changed that much?
    I can't tell you who I am, but I can tell you who I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    If you can write a semi decent application, compose and represent yourself well in-game and in vent and you're a little patient you'll find plenty of guilds willing to give you a shot.

What you should be asking instead is how to make yourself valuable to those guilds and be a good raider. Getting invited is easy, sticking around is usually harder. If I recruited you given your practically non existent raiding experience, your relatively low goals (normal modes) and the fact that you quit to PvP will all make me question how committed you are and more importantly, how good you are. I'd be looking at you from your very first raid to try and figure out if you're worth my time.
    If you used to raid hardcore, then reference it and ask yourself if you really just want normals? If you are new to raiding or are casual, then best bet is to go find a casual guild (there are plenty such as those who recruit in trade) and just start killing stuff with them. If you aren't absolutely shit, chances are such a guild will keep you.

You don't really need an app in a guild just clearing normals, literally, just whisper their GL/RL and say you're interested if they have a spot. Most casual guilds will have an interview (either vent/mumble or via tells) as their "application."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    I don't know what universe you live in, but on my server there are 2 types of guilds: 1-3/12N guilds that are lucky if they can get 10 people online, and 12/12N guilds that are so busy progressing heroics that they can't possibly recruit someone who's less progressed and geared than them. But nothing in the middle. This leaves people like me jumping from one shit guild to another getting bored.

On the other hand you might have a better luck because you don't play melee.
    Sadly this is my experience as well. Either you get a lousy guild that can't do anything, or guilds that are much further than you and rarely will "take the chance" to bring you in. Luckily I don't seriously play anymore or this would be a major issue again for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NotLuto View Post
    A normal guild is one that accepts apps or has the game changed that much?
    He was being an elitist, in his opinion only 13/13hc guilds can have Apps.
    Last edited by mmoc94b3cd45b5; 2013-05-09 at 01:27 PM.