Poll: Do you think some words will be changed in the 'nearby' future?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Do you think some offensive slur words will be changed over the next decade?

(Please note: any use of 'offensive' words is purely example-wise. I'm not bashing anyone for their race, orientation, etc. Also if it makes a difference, I'm gay, but that's not bias for anything)

Something I've noticed is a lot while spending most of my time on Youtube is the ever-changing use of the word "faggot". While I know that when people originally used the word (as in say the early 2000s), they actually did mean "gay person", or they'd call people and things "gay", because apparently being gay was something to make fun of (similar to people using the N word).

Nowadays when we see the word, it's more or less just a typical insult, to a similar effect of calling someone "noob", idiot, or dumbass, instead of an offensive slur towards the homosexual community. Very rarely when encountering people will they call you a faggot as in a gay person (Hell, how would they know you're gay or straight in the first place?)

Another point of this is the changing use of the N word (which I still dislike saying, so despite my warning up top, I won't be saying it). It was (obviously) originally used as an insult towards black people (back when slavery was legal), but nowadays, people have used the word to refer to their friend or "brother from another mother". They also say the word differently, with an "uh" sound instead of an "er" sound (possibly to slightly differentiate between the two *shrug*).

This all brings me to my original question. Do you think some offensive words may be officially changed at some point in the future? (and yes, feel free to think of the South Park episode where they changed the meaning of "fag"/"faggot") With the recent homosexual movement across America with states slowly legalizing gay marriage, I feel that eventually, the word will be changed. As far as the N word goes, I'm actually surprised it hasn't changed, or at least had a second addition with "nigga" (since when said specifically like that, it's never used offensively in the first place).

(PS: For people who clicked Poll option 3: Fuck shit ass dick. You're welcome.)
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-05-19 at 01:33 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Scum, vagabond and scoundrel are making a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Scum, vagabond and scoundrel are making a comeback.
    I gotta be honest, I've never heard any of those used in recent years.

Also, are any of those words actually used offensively? (e.g., more than just an insult)
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Most likely, words change or new ones arise. It might be in 10 years or 50 years

words are words. i think it is stupid and laughable to be effected by words. yea i think the uses of certain words will be changed or just forgot like fads of 10 years ago.
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    words are words. i think it is stupid and laughable to be effected by words. yea i think the uses of certain words will be changed or just forgot like fads of 10 years ago.
    I'm not normally affected by words, but rather, how people say things to me. They're typically rude if they say offensive words, but otherwise, they're nice.

I'll get mad if someone's an asshole to me and says nice words like "You're the nicest guy ever" in a rude fashion.

Granted, I still get mad if people treat me differently just because I like guys instead of girls, whether they use "faggot" or not to describe me.

"Nigger" still isn't a different meaning, they just mutated it to be a good word. It still has hateful connotations.
    Something like calling someone gay seems to still have a connection to homosexuality - its users are typically referring to an annoying individual who is happy about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    "Nigger" still isn't a different meaning, they just mutated it to be a good word. It still has hateful connotations.
    Something like calling someone gay seems to still have a connection to homosexuality - its users are typically referring to an annoying individual who is happy about themselves.
    The N-word (Still have a problem saying it on a public forum >_>) is one thing. The mutation to "nigga" should essentially be the new word, and the old one just thrown out (along with the negative connotations).

To be fair, we're not ALL "annoying individuals". Just the flamers are Granted, I still call things gay (even inanimate objects, or just general things) because I don't have a better word for it. It just sounds better than "stupid". Hell, I've called kids on the internet "faggots" plenty of times, but not because I think they're homosexual (also, why would I hate my community?).

15+ Year Old Account
    The words them self will change, not their meaning
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    If we would ban every word that offends someone in some ways, we would end up banning language entirely and revert back to neanderthal grunting - which I'm sure someone's religion would still find offensive...

What should be banned is overly stretched political correctness. It has gone to the point where scumbags intentionally count on political correctness to keep people from openly calling them scumbags.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, words change over time. Ni**er use to be an every day word. Now its offensive. With rap artists using it, maybe it'll stop being offensive again. Slurs and insults like this change over time.

In 20 years, words we use every day today might be vulgar.

Another example: Gay once meant "happy" and faggot once meant "bundle of wood," fag once meant "cigarette" (and still does in some places I think) and queer once meant "weird." So because those words changed their meanings, there's no reason to believe it won't happen again over time with other words.
    Putin khuliyo

Language evolves, quicker now that we have the internet to spread a trend from one side of globe to the other overnight. Pretty sure the use of "chink" has gone down lately, or maybe I'm hanging around the wrong people. So yes, most definitely.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    If we would ban every word that offends someone in some ways, we would end up banning language entirely and revert back to neanderthal grunting - which I'm sure someone's religion would still find offensive...

What should be banned is overly stretched political correctness. It has gone to the point where scumbags intentionally count on political correctness to keep people from openly calling them scumbags.
    Banned? Words CANNOT be "banned" (at least not in the US). They may be frowned upon, they may get you beat up, but they aren't illegal.

I wasn't talking about banning words but rather, change the literal definition

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Language evolves, quicker now that we have the internet to spread a trend from one side of globe to the other overnight. Pretty sure the use of "chink" has gone down lately, or maybe I'm hanging around the wrong people. So yes, most definitely.
    "Spic" and "Beaner" too. Don't hear those much more.

Also, some people still think that "Jap" was just short for "Japanese People". Hell I did when I was a kid, because I NEVER heard the offensive word.

Hopefully our world's evolving and people aren't getting their panties in such a knot as much nowadays.

Now if people are generally trying to be offensive to you, then that's completely different. The word itself shouldn't trigger a response though.

Eh, I don't care much for the idea that we have to label some words as "bad words".

It just seems really pointless to put such stigma on words when the reality is that they aren't even bad. Hell and damn are both biblical, ass is just a donkey, bitch is female dog, I think fag has several meanings, etc. I mean, it's not as bad as things used to be. These days, you can get away with most of these words save for fuck or shit, which seem to be the worst of the worst. Hell, asshole used to be pretty bad too, but people have been pretty lenient on it.

For racial slurs, their existence is just stupid to me. I mean, it's basically an insult, like calling an overweight person fat or a not-so-bright person retarded, yet it's attacking their heritage... It's just ignorance. I don't use those words myself, just because I'm not immature to need to attack someone's family tree in order to feel like the bigger man. I also wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone else used the word themself.

I just think it's pointless to put such weight on simple words, whether they be "curse words" or just derogatory name-calling.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Eh, I don't care much for the idea that we have to label some words as "bad words".

I just think it's pointless to put such weight on simple words, whether they be "curse words" or just derogatory name-calling.
    I agree completely. Hell, I use "fuck" in my daily life, at LEAST 15-20 times a day, just because it's just the perfect word to use as a noun, verb, or adjective, or just an expletive to relieve stress.

BUT NO, PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THAT WORD BECAUSE IT HURTS THEIR VIRGIN EARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I agree completely. Hell, I use "fuck" in my daily life, at LEAST 15-20 times a day, just because it's just the perfect word to use as a noun, verb, or adjective, or just an expletive to relieve stress.

No, but there's a point. People shouldn't go out in public (mall, bus full of kids, etc.) where anyone can hear them and repeat "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck" a million times. We all know what it means, and it isn't necessary to fill it in every other sentence you have. People should still have some class. Sure, you can use it when you get angry/irritated, and I use it a lot too, but to use it often in normal conversation is a bit crude.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account

It also hurts THEIR PRECIOUS LITTLE FLOWER CHILDREN. Who are probably talking about sex very descriptively at the age of 10 anyways and will conjure up more racial slurs than I can think of over any video game voice chat...

Honestly, if anything I think we will get used to "curse words" and they will just be part of every day language. They already are when with a group of friends, it's only a matter of time until it's ok to do it with strangers also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont hear jap much anymore, but hear stupid asian drivers alot.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

It really just depends on how it's used. I can't tell you how much it grinds against my nerves whenever I hear some "street" kid useing fuck or shit between everyother word, makes me want to strangle them.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Yes, words change over time. Ni**er use to be an every day word. Now its offensive. With rap artists using it, maybe it'll stop being offensive again. Slurs and insults like this change over time.
    no rap artist uses the word ni%%er
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS