Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Useless Steam games we acquire....

    Some of us will buy a game during a sale on Steam we don't really know or whatever just because it's cheap. Sometimes we get them in indie bundles we buy, or perhaps in a developer or publisher bundle on Steam. And we end up with games we never play or have no idea why we have them. This thread is about those very games. And I will start with one that I ran into today.

    Off-Road Drive. As you might guess from the title it is an Off-road driving game. Graphics were decent (what I call decent some others might call crappy) and the music reminded me of an alternative rock station. I didn't get more than 10 minutes into it before I uninstalled it for one HUGE reason. The controls were simply piss poor. Now I used to be an avid console gamer so i still like to do some games with a controller. Racing games are one such genre for me. It has support for keyboard+mouse, xbox 360 controller, and a couple of different steering wheels. And for some fucked up reason, for what seems like half of what you need to do requires you to use shift/alt/ctrl on the keyboard in unison with the controller while maintaining control of your vehicle. Maybe they designed it for Squid or Octopus to be playing it, but I simply do not have the appendages needed to use the controller and keyboard and mouse.

    So let's hear some games you got in a similar way and wondered WTF was up with them.
    Last edited by Harry Botter; 2013-06-08 at 07:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:ぺこ
    Posts
    8,172
    Looking at my library.

    "The Scourge Project"
    I installed it and tried it once, promptly uninstalled it. I'm not fond of 3rd person shooter and it was just terribly buggy.

    I believe I got it when I bought a bundle for horror games with Amnesia in it.

  3. #3
    I got Alan Wake American Nightmare with the Alan Wake bundle. I played through the base game and then installed american nightmare.
    Uninstalled 20 minutes later. It had nothing of the atmosphere of the base game. It was more like a shooting gallery. And without story and atmosphere I couldnt force myself to play with clunky controls.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    I got Alan Wake American Nightmare with the Alan Wake bundle. I played through the base game and then installed american nightmare.
    Uninstalled 20 minutes later. It had nothing of the atmosphere of the base game. It was more like a shooting gallery. And without story and atmosphere I couldnt force myself to play with clunky controls.
    I felt like Nightmare really didn't fit in with the first game's story at all.

  5. #5
    Towns. On paper it sounded like a great game (and it probably is). But I was just too lost at the beginning and the entire gameplay doesn't appeal to me. The idea does, hence I'm having an aye on Stonehearth. Don't have the motivation to get into a game like that so it has been money down the drain for that one.

  6. #6
    Let's see uhh...

    Assassin's Creed Revelations. I had always disliked the AC games but figured the multiplayer would be alright, turns out it wasn't.

    Dark Fall: Lost Souls. A very crappy point-and-click horror game that didn't do the puzzle or the horror elements properly.

    Dead Island. An uninspired game that's barely playable due to the co-op. Also the bloom gave me a headache.

    Fallen Enchantress. Well, this was basically HOMM. But worse. So why not just play HOMM?

    Far Cry 2. Worst AAA-game I have ever gotten my hands on. No idea what they were thinking.

    Miasmata. I can deal with first person games that have you do careful maneuvering. Not ones with (intentionally) poor controls.

    I think that's all the crap I have.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Towns. On paper it sounded like a great game (and it probably is). But I was just too lost at the beginning and the entire gameplay doesn't appeal to me. The idea does, hence I'm having an aye on Stonehearth. Don't have the motivation to get into a game like that so it has been money down the drain for that one.
    Yeah I heard that a lot fo people couldn't get very far into Towns because they had no direction at all. I am glad I never got it. But I probably will next sale if it's like a dollar or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Let's see uhh...

    Assassin's Creed Revelations. I had always disliked the AC games but figured the multiplayer would be alright, turns out it wasn't.

    Dark Fall: Lost Souls. A very crappy point-and-click horror game that didn't do the puzzle or the horror elements properly.

    Dead Island. An uninspired game that's barely playable due to the co-op. Also the bloom gave me a headache.

    Fallen Enchantress. Well, this was basically HOMM. But worse. So why not just play HOMM?

    Far Cry 2. Worst AAA-game I have ever gotten my hands on. No idea what they were thinking.

    Miasmata. I can deal with first person games that have you do careful maneuvering. Not ones with (intentionally) poor controls.

    I think that's all the crap I have.
    I lost all faith in the AC series after the first 2 games on pc. I liked Dead Island for the most part, only part I didn't like was some areas of the game were clearly designed for 2 people. And by this I mean the amount of zombies around were almost too much to handle solo. And yeah the glare bothered me too at times. Far Cry 2.......ugh you pretty much said it.

  8. #8
    Trine 2

    I bought it, never installed or have played it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Trine 2

    I bought it, never installed or have played it.
    Oh wow. You are missing out on a true gem of a game there. In my opinion it is the best looking 2.5d puzzle platformer out there. You should at least try it out imo.

  10. #10
    Pit Lord HBpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rockies
    Posts
    2,424
    I still have most of what I bought at the Steam holiday sale and the last humble bundle that remains untouched. I kind of get stuck in this circle of intending to start playing through those games but find something else and buying and playing that instead. Doesnt help that a few of the recent games I've picked up have a good replay value to them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Trine 2

    I bought it, never installed or have played it.
    That's a really good game.
    Atheist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-equal rights for e...v...e...r...y...o...n...e

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk Zogarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,996
    I got Heroes 6. Turns out game is a buggy piece of shit that crashes every time i try to enter my city, so game is completely unplayable.
    Left for dead 2... I bought it with some friends and it played it for like an hour. Never played played it again since.
    A shitload of indie games i got in Humble Bundles (I often only have 1 game in the packet that i want )
    All the Hitman games ever made. Just never got around to them.
    And a lot more... i got a lot of random games in my steam libary.

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Antherios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,044
    Gotta be the Unreal Ultimate Pack that i bought a few weeks ago .. i loved unreal goty and 2004, played it a lot with my friends.

    Well, my friends do not play the games anymore, so i can only play solo or against one of those ultra pro dudes, that kill you instantly.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    Gotta be the Unreal Ultimate Pack that i bought a few weeks ago .. i loved unreal goty and 2004, played it a lot with my friends.

    Well, my friends do not play the games anymore, so i can only play solo or against one of those ultra pro dudes, that kill you instantly.
    What you ought to do is just play Quake Live. Excellent game with some okay matchmaking.

  14. #14
    Uh, there are so many...
    But all of them I bought directly. And I still would want to play them, but missing the time right now.

    Let's see.
    Dungeon Siege 3 - Probably will play it when I finished the 2nd one, which I started, but it wasn't that much fun
    Elder Scrolls 3 / 4 (I played Oblivion when it came out many years ago, not on Steam)
    Gothic 1/2/3 - Played the first when it came out, also not on Steam
    Risen
    Kotor 1/2 - Played the first when it came out, also not on Steam
    Two Worlds 2
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    Civ 3 complete
    Civ 4 (+ Beyond the Sword, Colonization, Warlords)
    Bioshock 1/2
    Empire: Total War
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
    Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
    Thief Gold / Thief 2 / Thief: Deadly Shadows
    X-Com: Enemy Unknown
    SimCity 4 - Played through the tutorials, began my own city, then the game crashed, and I didn't touch it ever since.
    Last edited by Forsta; 2013-05-07 at 09:01 AM.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Wishblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,820
    I got a couple games...

    Borderlands: Wanted to give it a go, but didn't find it very interesting and FPS ain't really my thing
    Lone Survivor: Never really given this a real go, just got it in a bundle
    Magicka: Thought it'd be really fun, but don't like the controls and spell casting
    KotOR 1 and 2: Heard they were quite good, but guess those types of RPG aren't something for me and the fighting just felt like crap to me
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery: Another one from a bundle, never really touched it
    "Reminds me of a dog, you stare at it while it's playing outside... Running around in a circle, then stopping up, wagging with a wide "grin". Jumping around until you call for the dog, then it lowers its tail because it think it's done something bad... And then you throw the ball, seeing the tail go straight into the air in bliss! ^^" - Gehco
    Wishblade of Kazzak EU

  16. #16
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    868
    Bought airline tycoon 2 the other day. Swing and a miss.

    I played it a lot when it came out, but I idolized it in my mind, and it's actually really not that fun to play, lol.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    Uh, there are so many...
    But all of them I bought directly. And I still would want to play them, but missing the time right now.

    Let's see.
    Dungeon Siege 3 - Probably will play it when I finished the 2nd one, which I started, but it wasn't that much fun
    Elder Scrolls 3 / 4 (I played Oblivion when it came out many years ago, not on Steam)
    Gothic 1/2/3 - Played the first when it came out, also not on Steam
    Risen
    Kotor 1/2 - Played the first when it came out, also not on Steam
    Two Worlds 2
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    Civ 3 complete
    Civ 4 (+ Beyond the Sword, Colonization, Warlords)
    Bioshock 1/2
    Empire: Total War
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
    Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
    Thief Gold / Thief 2 / Thief: Deadly Shadows
    X-Com: Enemy Unknown
    SimCity 4 - Played through the tutorials, began my own city, then the game crashed, and I didn't touch it ever since.
    I need to play through the first Two Worlds before I move onto to number 2 incase the stories are connected. I just discovered Beat Hazard yesterday. Been having great fun with it. No telling how long i have had it.

  18. #18
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    11,024
    Well over 50% of my collection is games I've never played. I have serious issues when it comes to buying games and not playing them it seems - a lot of them are from bundles though, and a couple were gifts, that I feel a little bad about not playing.
    Moderator of Professions & Garrisons | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: Warlords of Draenor | Diablo 3 | Hex TCG | Heroes of the Storm
    Steam

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Well over 50% of my collection is games I've never played. I have serious issues when it comes to buying games and not playing them it seems - a lot of them are from bundles though, and a couple were gifts, that I feel a little bad about not playing.
    Me too. During sales I will see a game for a buck or two and say well i kinda wanted to try it out. Or will be like this game is cheap and the screenshot looks neat. I have problems when it comes to steam sales and $1-3 games. Oh and since i discovered IndieRoyale and IndieGala and Bundlestars along with Humble Bundle my library has ballooned.

  20. #20
    Legendary! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    6,944
    God mode is my most recent one, I dont know what I was thinking, saw it cheap but its just a bland shootathon.

    Red orchestra was my most expensive one I think and that was on sale :P A really frustrating AI makes it almost impossible.

    At the moment Im trying to do my best not to buy anymore games, steam is the most addictive thing, I see a game for a fiver and think i'll have that only to never install it, I now see just cause for $2.50...I never completed the first one even though I really liked it, must resist the urge to press buy. I struggled with the star wars multipack recently but managed to resist.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-05-07 at 10:18 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •