Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Noppoo Choc Mini vs Razer BlackWidow

Which is better in your opinion?

I'm buying a new keyboard in the next few weeks. My brother uses the Noppoo Choc Mini and has convinced me that compact, mechanical keyboards are the way to go.

I've been let down in the past by the Razer Lycosa, which turned out to be nothing but an overpriced, glossy, generic, marketed, rubber, dome of crap. Every now and then it takes a mood swing and certain keys just stop working until i unplug it and re-plug it.

Having said that, I use the Razer Naga, which has been sensational and has never gave me any problems. I'd never look at another mouse for playing wow ever again.

So if anyone has had the privilege to use both; which would you recommend as the better investment?

Thanks.

Those two can't be more different from each other, so you need to figure out what you're actually looking for. Razer BlackWidow is for people who want full size keyboard with bling and extra gaming buttons, while Noppoo Choc Mini is for people who want smallest possible keyboard and dont give a damn about numpad or arrow keys or any of those.

So do you want extra gaming keys or rather looking for a tenkeyless keyboard should be the right question you're asking from yourself. When you know the answer to that we can give you suggestions and alternatives.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Sorry, I should have been more specific -

I wasn't aware there was a 'non-compact' version of the Razer BlackWidow. I was actually referring to the Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition, which claims to be 'compact'.

Thanks for pointing that out though.

I use a similar keyboard to the Noppoo.
    It's by a company called KeyCool. I bought it over the Noppoo because the Keycool is backlit, and I play at night.

I love it, it is the same quality as Noppoo Choc Mini.
    So I would suggest either the KeyCool 84 or Noppoo Choc Mini, cheaper for the same thing as what Razer has.
    Last edited by solvexx; 2013-05-07 at 04:31 PM.

I thought about tenkeyless for a while but ended up with full size mechanical keyboard in the end. Not because I use numpad that much, but there are certain things like paying bills online when you're entering lots of numbers manually it's really handy.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I don't think I've ever had that problem before.
    You have 8 fingers, and there are only 10 numbers.
    Surely you are able to type with the 10 numbers below the function keys?

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    It's not about the amount of fingers but muscle memory. When you've gotten used to keyboards having the numpad for 20+ years it's simply faster to use than tenkeyless if you enter in even relatively small amount of numbers.
    Trolling should be.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at some reviews and It's possibly a toss up between the KeyCool 84 and Noppoo Choc Mini now. Backlit may be the way to go as I too play in the dark, but I'm worried about the durability? Backlit keyboards seem more prone to wear and tear from past experience.

Vesseblah what keyboard do you use? Can you recommend a good full sized mechanical keyboard? I worked in a bank for a long time and must agree that it's second nature to use numpad for some things.

I have 10 fingers, Am I normal ?

Like vesseblah said, the num pad is very usefull because it allow faster typing than the 10 numbers under the functions keys (unless in games or when typing small numbers)
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffseid View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at some reviews and It's possibly a toss up between the KeyCool 84 and Noppoo Choc Mini now. Backlit may be the way to go as I too play in the dark, but I'm worried about the durability? Backlit keyboards seem more prone to wear and tear from past experience.

Vesseblah what keyboard do you use? Can you recommend a good full sized mechanical keyboard? I worked in a bank for a long time and must agree that it's second nature to use numpad for some things.

You can buy a Noppoo full sized keyboard as well.
    Back lit keyboards are just as durable as non back lit.
    There is no difference other than the lights behind each key.

If you are worried about durability then I suggest just picking up a Razer Blackwidow,
    as then you will have the warranty to go with it, and no hassle of sending your keyboard back to china.

But for the price for Razer products VS. KeyCool/Noppoo you could essentially buy 2 of them
    for every Blackwidow.

blackwidow 2013's are nice

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my Razer Blackwidow 2013 but the only thing I must say is that Cherry mx Blue's can be quite loud. I ended up buying some O-Rings and putting them on each key to make them significantly quieter(They prevent the keys from bottoming out) but overall this keyboard is extremely nice and feels durable. Another thing I will say is that Razer's software isn't a pain in the ass like Logitech for example and is quite easy to use in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Another thing I will say is that Razer's software isn't a pain in the ass like Logitech for example and is quite easy to use in my opinion.
    Funny... There has been multiple threads (not posts, threads) on this forum cursing the day Razer released the synapse software and hoping it's coders would die horribly or at least start doing something they can like flipping burgers instead of failing at programming.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Funny... There has been multiple threads (not posts, threads) on this forum cursing the day Razer released the synapse software and hoping it's coders would die horribly or at least start doing something they can like flipping burgers instead of failing at programming.
    Razer Synapse is amazing.
    Compared to competitors atleast.
    Dunno what those people are going on about.

Razer Synapse is amazing.
    Compared to competitors atleast.
    Dunno what those people are going on about.
    Forced cloud saving, and when the cloud goes down your settings are unavailable.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forced cloud saving, and when the cloud goes down your settings are unavailable.
    It's not forced anymore. You can save local now and optionally go offline. Those people most likely are the type of people to try and find anything to complain about. So far though I've had no problems and I can access my profiles in offline or online mode with Synapse.

If anything having online backup of my profiles and settings is a phenomenal idea that saves me time whenever I reformat. It's also something no other competitor has so I'd say if anything it's a win-win seeing as I don't need to be online to use the program to begin with.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-05-09 at 07:02 PM.

That's not true.
    You do not need to be online.

Everyone finds something to complain about, and when there is nothing.. They make stuff up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not true.
    You do not need to be online.

Everyone finds something to complain about, and when there is nothing.. They make stuff up.
    They didn't make anything up. At the time it was forced, and that's a valid concern. I never did, and still don't, like how Diablo 3 is forced online, as an example.

anyway, OP, the BlackWidow is a great keyboard. Honestly, compact keyboard aren't realy necessary. When you need the keys, they're there. When you don't, they're out of the way. I don't see the reason on getting a compact keyboard short of desk space...but the size difference isn't that large.

I do recommend getting an extended warranty with the Razer though. While i generally have faith in Razer's products, it's kind of a russian roulette on if you get a good or bad product. The extended warranty should get rid of any possibility of being stuck with a bad product that broke under mild use after a year.

I recently purchased a Black Widow 2013 and I have to say that i am in the camp that loves it. I personally felt that the black widow 2013 is the best value buy in the razer keyboard line up since it has been upgraded with the things the older Black Widow Ultimate keyboards had like the audio pass through and the Usb port on the keyboard the only thing it is really missing is the changeable lights in the keyboard.
    tl;dr Is just another way of saying I am about to troll

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    They didn't make anything up. At the time it was forced, and that's a valid concern. I never did, and still don't, like how Diablo 3 is forced online, as an example.

anyway, OP, the BlackWidow is a great keyboard. Honestly, compact keyboard aren't realy necessary. When you need the keys, they're there. When you don't, they're out of the way. I don't see the reason on getting a compact keyboard short of desk space...but the size difference isn't that large.

I do recommend getting an extended warranty with the Razer though. While i generally have faith in Razer's products, it's kind of a russian roulette on if you get a good or bad product. The extended warranty should get rid of any possibility of being stuck with a bad product that broke under mild use after a year.
    People continually bringing up stuff that does not exist anymore.. Then it is making it up.

I like compact keyboards because you essentially get more keys to use for key binding.
    I can reach more function keys on compact keyboards.

Also, my girlfriend says while playing COD on my computer, she has no issue with hand fatigue since she has smaller hands.