Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    Yeah, that's a pretty good summary of my original impressions of anime.

But now, thanks to skimming through this thread that I saw linked on the front page, I feel much more enlightened!

I'm not about to rush off to the DVD store or youtube and start watching any of these shows, they're still not piquing my curiosity. But I'll at least refrain from instantly judging anyone who tells me that they're a fan of anime, as being socially retarded and/or a compulsive masturbator.

Thanks all, for the interesting read!
    It kinda grows on you. It takes a while to acclimate to the cliches, storytelling styles and scripts. Like others have said, it's not for everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

The only thing you need to watch is bobobo-bo bo-bobo then you'll understand everything. Kidding, of course, never watch that, your brain will melt out of your head from the sheer absurdity of it.

Seriously though, I see a lot of people here hating on English dubs, kind of wondering why. I've watched anime in Japanese before (mainly just ones that don't have English dubs) and I'm not really all that impressed. Voice acting means nothing to me if I can't understand the language, I could just mute the audio and read along and it'd have the same effect. Not sure what I'm missing, but I greatly prefer English dubs, they're far more enjoyable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    The only thing you need to watch is bobobo-bo bo-bobo then you'll understand everything. Kidding, of course, never watch that, your brain will melt out of your head from the sheer absurdity of it.
    Haha so true it hurts!

i watched ranma for 11 hours once in a delay at the airport. thats enough anime for my lifetime.

Deleted
    Cowboy Bebop - It's my all time favorite anime... Still listening to the Theme and other tracks :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocktan View Post
    Cowboy Bebop - It's my all time favorite anime... Still listening to the Theme and other tracks :-)
    Hehe, almost as addictive to listen to as Beezlebub Ending 4

And lets not forget, Bleach Opening 2.
    Last edited by mmoc037243c2a8; 2013-05-16 at 07:11 PM.

Zombergy's Quick Guide To Understanding Anime:

When the background is moving and the character is not moving it means the character is moving.
    When the girl looks 15 shes actually 7.
    For every 1mm of thickness of a swords handle the length must be 4 meters.
    Its not good anime unless a characters eyeballs are 90% the surface area of their face.

And the #1 thing you need to understand about anime: the reason there's so much of it is because ..like the gas station bean burrito ..you can shit one out in hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

When the background is moving and the character is not moving it means the character is moving.
    Its not good anime unless a characters eyeballs are 90% the surface area of their face.

And the #1 thing you need to understand about anime: the reason there's so much of it is because ..like the gas station bean burrito ..you can shit one out in hours.
    Ha, quit fun read :P. But then again, thats the cartoony style of Anime. Animation can suck at times trough ^^
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

What about all the tentacles?

Harem anime is funny stuff, pretty odd, but funny shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    What about all the tentacles?

Harem anime is funny stuff, pretty odd, but funny shit.
    Rofl tentacles are old, if you want it hardcore, you should check out a manga original! Urotsukidoji Return of The Overfiend and Urotsukidoji The Demon's Womb. Neither is for the seriously squeamish :P

anime can be quite entertaining. i remember watching DBZ, DB, and pokemon as a kid. good times.. the show was quite funny and entertaining.. you could relate to the characters.. a lot of them were cowardly and human which helped the connection even more. with that being said you either get anime or you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Anime and Manga have been rising in popularity for years. But I never managed to get it.

I tried to watch all the mainstream popular stuff like Dragon Ball Z, Gundam, Naruto, Inuyasha, Naruto, and recently I seen a reference to Attack on Titan and checked that out too.

But I just don't get it. Very often they are based on solid story backdrops, but Jesus the exposition is horrendous. Full of clitches, unamusing humor etc.

Then you have all the contemplation, the blablabla. Most of the time its bloody horrible. The action sequences are terrible. The characters are all half twits. It's like the Comic book cliche of the villain going on 4 hour explanations on how they will cut the hero in two using a complicated, prototype laser, while he is tied to a table, instead of just freaking shooting him in face. Anime feels the same but the protagonists do the same.

How is it enjoyable? They are terrible.

I don't say I never seen Anime that I would have liked. There are things like Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Blue Gender (this suffered from all the above, but the backdrop was too good) Ghost in a Shell, Jin-Roh, or the brilliant Cowboy Bepop.

These also use a lot of character exposition but they make sense and don't interupt the flow of the action. Plus they try to stay away from stupid cliches.

Now I might be missing something here.

**EDIT**

I'll reformulate the question, as I have put it badly before.

Why is there such a strong following of the "Kiddie" category Anime? Many of my friends ages 25+ (some in their mid and late 30's) spend hours upon hours watching and rewatching DBZ or Gundam or stuff like that, and debating it, in debth.

(Yeah I work and hang out in a somewhat geeky enviroment.)
    Try not to do a mainstream anime. They tend to drag them on for the sake of money. Try something short and sweet like Sword art Online, or Blue Excorcist.

They have a solid story with not many wasted on fillers.

People watch kiddie animes like naruto, bleach, one piece because they cater to the lowest common denominator they have a little bit of everything, but do nothing of it well.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    OP: I don't like the popular kiddie anime and I don't understand how people enjoy it

Everyone else: Here's some less well known kiddie anime

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Try not to do a mainstream anime. They tend to drag them on for the sake of money. Try something short and sweet like Sword art Online, or Blue Excorcist.

They have a solid story with not many wasted on fillers.

People watch kiddie animes like naruto, bleach, one piece because they cater to the lowest common denominator they have a little bit of everything, but do nothing of it well.
    SAO is the very definition of mainstream, horrible filler and trying to do too much and failing at all of it. And lets not even get started on the story.

Deleted
    If you want legitimately mature, go for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. Most likely the best 100+ episode anime out there.

Deleted
    Personally I dislike Anime. Never got into it despite having spend a fair amount of time watching it. I can on the other hand suggest you to read a manga.

I've been following One Piece (manga) since 2002 and still on going, and before 2002 I was reading Dragon Ball. If you got the patience to get into, and don't mind either reading it online or buying the books, I could definitely recommend everyone to read One Piece (or Dragon Ball).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post

Seriously though, I see a lot of people here hating on English dubs, kind of wondering why. I've watched anime in Japanese before (mainly just ones that don't have English dubs) and I'm not really all that impressed. Voice acting means nothing to me if I can't understand the language, I could just mute the audio and read along and it'd have the same effect. Not sure what I'm missing, but I greatly prefer English dubs, they're far more enjoyable.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the biggest reason people prefer subs is because the Japanese use more actors with higher/sillier voices. The acting isn't any better (it's usually worse than a good quality dub); the inflections in their voices are funnier.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Deleted
    I just finished watching all 6 episodes of Attack on titan, plus I have read all 45 chapters of the Manga. Shit, it is so depressing, I would kill myself rather than live in their universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only watch mature anime like Azoozle-san

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    I only watch mature anime like Azoozle-san
    Try "Attack on titan", it is very disturbing . Only 7 episodes so far, the 7th is out tomorrow, but the manga comic is on number 45.