Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Almost every anime I've ever seen ever has absolutely been garbage. I don't get the obsession with it either.

I can only think of two exceptions: Yu-Gi-Oh, and the always awesome DBZ (Not GT). They were both two fantastic series until time turned them into piles of junk. Yu-Gi-Oh now sucks.
    Proud Conservative and lover of guns, freedom and the Constitution.

Perhaps Hentai is more your thing? Seriously though, shows like Naruto, One Piece, etc are so long that by now they are an acquired taste. You'll hate the exposition style if you haven't been trying it since an earlier age. I'm assuming you're over 20. If you really wanna check out some cool ones, and not just backhandedly insult Anime lovers, I suggest checking out shows like Code Geass, as someone else suggested in page 1. Pretty sure Death Note must have been suggested by now too. Also check out Monster. In fact, I highly recommend you start with Monster, then Stein's Gate.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

I'd recommend Steins;Gate. It's only about 25 episodes long, not a 'kiddie' anime, though it retains a bit of lightheartedness at times.

I recommend it to anyone who shows a vague interest in anime though, it's probably my favourite

Without getting into spoiler territory, the basic plot is that a guy who owns an amatuer invention company accidentally creates a sequence of machines which enable him to send text messages into the past, and things take off from there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I'd recommend Steins;Gate. It's only about 25 episodes long, not a 'kiddie' anime, though it retains a bit of lightheartedness at times.

I recommend it to anyone who shows a vague interest in anime though, it's probably my favourite

Without getting into spoiler territory, the basic plot is that a guy who owns an amatuer invention company accidentally creates a sequence of machines which enable him to send text messages into the past, and things take off from there.
    Will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post

You must check out Monster if you haven't yet! I say that because you like Stein's Gate. Monster starts off with this really amazing surgeon who chooses to operate on a kid instead of an important high rank guy, he saves the kid but the man dies as a result. The amount of darkness that ensues afterwards is staggering.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    You must check out Monster if you haven't yet! I say that because you like Stein's Gate. Monster starts off with this really amazing surgeon who chooses to operate on a kid instead of an important high rank guy, he saves the kid but the man dies as a result. The amount of darkness that ensues afterwards is staggering.
    To be a little more descriptive...

It's about a Japanese surgeon working in Germany during the '80s who saves the life of a kid who's been shot in the head. Ten years later, the kid grows up to become a serial killer and the doctor is implicated in his crimes, resulting in a cat-and-mouse chase across Europe between the doctor, the kid, and the police.

Like a bunch of Naoki Urasawa's stuff it's very slow to get going, but his handling of the setting keeps it interesting. It's a very un-anime-feeling story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Will look into it.
    Steins Gate is a great anime, but you kind of have to tough it at the very beginning; it starts really slow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    Almost every anime I've ever seen ever has absolutely been garbage. I don't get the obsession with it either.

I can only think of two exceptions: Yu-Gi-Oh, and the always awesome DBZ (Not GT). They were both two fantastic series until time turned them into piles of junk. Yu-Gi-Oh now sucks.
    If Yugioh and DBZ are the two best you can list, you havent watched much anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the biggest reason people prefer subs is because the Japanese use more actors with higher/sillier voices. The acting isn't any better (it's usually worse than a good quality dub); the inflections in their voices are funnier.
    Most of the subbed anime actually give a crap about voice actors. Dubbed is usually unbearable.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Most of the subbed anime actually give a crap about voice actors. Dubbed is usually unbearable.
    Except for all the times it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Except for all the times it's not.
    I don't get it. Are you saying that most of the time English dubs are not unbearable? The way I see it English dubs are completely fine only when the Anime is originally English. Lots of good English anime out there. That said, I don't mean there aren't any instances of good Japanese anime dubbed to English, there definitely are. But most of the time, if you dub something that is already dubbed, you are making an imitation of an imitation, usually resulting in poor quality dubs.

If your 25+ year old friends are still watching those anime mentioned it is probably due to 3 reasons;

- They are new to anime and someone suggested those to them
    - There is some sort of nostalgic factor involved and they are rewatching something they watched when younger
    - They have bad/good taste, i guess it depends on who you ask.

Regardless of which one it is, there are several good anime recently released in the last 10 years that do not have the "kiddie" label attached to them. Also, do yourself a favour and do not watch the dubbed versions, they are horrible and usually butcher the anime and censor way too much (such as blood becoming "power oozing from their wounds").

edit: oh right, as for manga, it is usually good and sometimes WAAY better than the anime such in the case of "Aku no Hana".
    Last edited by wowaccounttom; 2013-05-18 at 05:04 PM.

Anime and Manga have not been gaining popularity recently, if anything it has been losing popularity. Sure if you spend a lot of time on the Internet, you'll come across the Anime fan-base quite a lot, and they do have the habit of forcing it on people and shunning those who refuse it like myself. But on the Internet, if you dislike something you're bound to offend people, regardless of what it is.

@OP: with all the blood and violence i wouldn't put those at "kiddie" level of anime. Also, if you are looking for super serious drama and shit, maybe animated violence isn't the way to go about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post

If those are considered good anime for you, I'm terrified to know what you consider to be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    I only watch mature anime like Azoozle-san
    10/10 mature as fuck.

15+ Year Old Account
    The way I see it English dubs are completely fine only when the Anime is originally English. Lots of good English anime out there.
    ...what? Those are called cartoons.

That said, I don't mean there aren't any instances of good Japanese anime dubbed to English, there definitely are. But most of the time, if you dub something that is already dubbed, you are making an imitation of an imitation, usually resulting in poor quality dubs.
    Dubs being subpar imitations hasnt been true since the 90's. There are far more talented VA's available and much more effort goes into the process now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Yea, Bleach does it well.
    I lol'd... anyway OP... there is nothing to understand... some ppl like stuff u don't and u like stuff other ppl don't ... you either like it and watch it or don't like it and ignore it...

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    ...what? Those are called cartoons.
    I think he means anime that take place in English speaking areas..? I... don't know..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Anime and Manga have not been gaining popularity recently, if anything it has been losing popularity. Sure if you spend a lot of time on the Internet, you'll come across the Anime fan-base quite a lot, and they do have the habit of forcing it on people and shunning those who refuse it like myself. But on the Internet, if you dislike something you're bound to offend people, regardless of what it is.
    Because lately they focus way too much on fan-service and most shows are completely terrible... really I haven't seen a good new anime show up since FMA Brotherhood and that was just a remake(although the plot was different, more in line with the manga)... only now that Attack on Titan started and it seems promising but is still just shounen so I dunno what to expect from it...it seemed cool at first, humans vs titans but tbh it kinda went downhill fast...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I think he means anime that take place in English speaking areas..? I... don't know..
    Referring to things like this, I suppose - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin...language_manga

I personally don't care about the designations. There are anime with ok Japanese voicework but wonderful English ones, there are spectacular Japanese voicework with mediocre English ones, and so on; it's something that goes by a case by case basis. I'll typically only listen to dubs for anime that I run in the background, like if I'm going through something the second time, and Japanese with English subs the first time unless there's a drastic difference in voice quality.