I thought about classes and Races

I have been playing since beta/Vanilla and have enjoyed the ride. I have been there for the up's and downs of this game, and have leveled every race and every class. Yet for some reason a 2 minute experience last night popped and idea into my head after all this time (insert puns now).

First, what happened. Doing my daily LFD for AC rep, and while waiting for the que, I began to scan threw my Alchy recipes. I saw potion of illusion, and said "Hey I never made that". So bought some mats from the AH and made a few potions to screw around with. For those of you that do not know, the potions transform you into another skin of a race for 2 minutes. I am a Pandarian Hunter, and on my third use I was transformed into a Gnome. The queue popped and I entered LFD

The first 2 minutes of that run had me LOL for real and enjoying WoW again like a new player. I mean come on; I was a gnome wearing a robe as a hunter. Personally I found it to be an epically fun experience. So let’s lay out the idea they donned on ne.

How many of us use trinkets/potions to transform our appearance on a regular basis while playing the game? I would be willing to be well over 50% of the population. We use these skins because it enhances our playing experience right? I mean why do most of us play the races' we do? I play a panda, not because I like the race, but because of the racial bonus. I actually hate my character skin, but for the benefit of my overall output of dps etc, I chose this race. How many of you are in this same boat?

Idea- Allow us to play any race with any class, and input a talent base racial system to spec into-

I know the first response is, "well Barefoot it would destroy the lore system." For that I do not have a rebutle, your probably right. BUt this is just and idea and I was wondering what you guys thought? -Discuss

Deleted
    TBH, me personally, I was quite happy with the vanilla race/class combos. But hey, times change. Now for the points you're making, it is indeed funny to see your character shapeshift into another race, just for the points you made yourself. A hunter in a robe, a mage in full warrior gear. If you take your idea and implement it, the combinations won't be as strange and thus not as amusing, so I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work out.

The racial talents would also get kind of fake, what would be so great about +5 herbalism to a gnome or to an undead, just doesn't fit imho.

How is Blizzard supposed to make money off the myriad race changes and faction changes that take place everyday then?

Quote Originally Posted by ixuz View Post
    TBH, me personally, I was quite happy with the vanilla race/class combos. But hey, times change. Now for the points you're making, it is indeed funny to see your character shapeshift into another race, just for the points you made yourself. A hunter in a robe, a mage in full warrior gear. If you take your idea and implement it, the combinations won't be as strange and thus not as amusing, so I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work out.

The racial talents would also get kind of fake, what would be so great about +5 herbalism to a gnome or to an undead, just doesn't fit imho.
    No your right, and I agree to a point. But other than screwing up the Lore, why does it sound so impossible to have a racial based talent tree that you can spec into. Giving you a choice to aquire some of the other racial bonus'? I would love to know this answer to the following Question:

How many people play there current race soley due to the racial bonus, but would otherwise chose a different one for personel enjoyment?

I am pretty sure my idea is well in left field, but take the Iron Dwarf skin. How many people would shell out money to race change to that skin just based soley on the looks of the character. From a financial perspective, Blizz would make millions just on that particular skin alone.

As far as the +5 Herb for say a Gnome, statement that you made. I see your point, but wouldnt you get more enjoyment out of the game if you could chose your Race, and any class? You really want a Gnome Paladin for example, but would prefer say the racial bonus from Humans for your rep grinds. So allow us to roll what we want but spec into a racial bonus type tree. Again, the is a radical Idea I know.
    Last edited by Barefoot; 2013-05-07 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me personally, the cost of race/faction/realm changing is currently the most annoying thing about WoW.

I'm down for any changes to make these easier/cheaper/free.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    To me personally, the cost of race/faction/realm changing is currently the most annoying thing about WoW.

I'm down for any changes to make these easier/cheaper/free.
    true, but my true point isn't about money, it's a bout enhancing our personel enjoyment of the game itself.

I think the problem is the Forsaken. Some class combos don't work for them without the WTF factor, and that means the other races can't access other classes, even if it would fit them because it would mean the Forsaken are at a disadvantage.

It's too late to get rid of the Forsaken of course so we'll have to choose between WTF and limiting race-class combos.

While I wouldn't necessarily agree with the "racial talents" portion of this, I do wish they would do away with the class restrictions. As I play Alliance side, I normally default to human for the rep bonus, which really cuts down on the grind. That said, even if it's my main and could use the rep boost the most, if I could change my warlock to a draenei, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Removing restrictions entirely might end up losing them some race-change money in the long run, but I don't think it'd stop faction changes. If I go play on a Horde character, it's because I want to see zones and the game from that perspective, certainly not for any racial bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually really like this idea...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I actually hate my character skin
    this irked me a bit. bordered on a bit far tbh.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    true, but my true point isn't about money, it's a bout enhancing our personel enjoyment of the game itself.
    I'm big on min/maxing, being the best I can at x job and competing makes me enjoy the game itself, I see them interlinked. Sorry if it's offtopic, but the sentiment was I support your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    I'm big on min/maxing, being the best I can at x job and competing makes me enjoy the game itself, I see them interlinked. Sorry if it's offtopic, but the sentiment was I support your idea.
    Right so it could be somthing like a tier based talent tree, like what is in place now

T1- Movement racials, i.e worgen, Goblin Jump, NE wisp etc..
    T2-Dps improvement, i.e troll, orc, Dreanai, panda food buff
    T3-Racial bonus, i.e human rep, goblin time is money, etc
    T4-Skill buffs, +herb,+ench+ JC etc….

Again all just thoughts to improve our overall personal gaming experience.

Deleted
    I know the first response is, "well Barefoot it would destroy the lore system." For that I do not have a rebutle, your probably right. BUt this is just and idea and I was wondering what you guys thought? -Discuss
    Actually it always kind of annoyed me, even (maybe especially) lorewise, I can't play every class on every race. How is it that a tauren is mentally incapable of becoming a mage? Or that goblins are able to convince the elements to obey them as shamans but can't convince nature spirits to let them become a druids?
    Ok so maybe the general culture of the tauren doesn't involve a lot pure arcane magic. I can still see certain individuals (and taking the entire race quite a few individuals I'd say) be interested in it and pick up the trade from other races. Humans had to learn from Elfs in the start aswell. As for the favor based classes, that need favors from nature/elements/gods/etc. to get things done. I can imagine that those beings are capable of detecting if a person is made of the right stuff to be allowed the favor, no matter his race.

I never min/max my races tbh, I always pick what race I like at that time or fits my general idea for the character. I really love your idea of the racials talent tree though, would finally make me pay attention to them Just call them heritage or something, being raised in the woods nets you +herba, growing up in a cold environment nets you frost res and so on. Sounds cool . And min/maxxers can just fuck all that and pick the best for their playstyle without any lore beeded.
    Some might be tricky though, like whisp form for a orc

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    Actually it always kind of annoyed me, even (maybe especially) lorewise, I can't play every class on every race. How is it that a tauren is mentally incapable of becoming a mage? Or that goblins are able to convince the elements to obey them as shamans but can't convince nature spirits to let them become a druids?
    Ok so maybe the general culture of the tauren doesn't involve a lot pure arcane magic. I can still see certain individuals (and taking the entire race quite a few individuals I'd say) be interested in it and pick up the trade from other races. Humans had to learn from Elfs in the start aswell. As for the favor based classes, that need favors from nature/elements/gods/etc. to get things done. I can imagine that those beings are capable of detecting if a person is made of the right stuff to be allowed the favor, no matter his race.

I never min/max my races tbh, I always pick what race I like at that time or fits my general idea for the character. I really love your idea of the racials talent tree though, would finally make me pay attention to them Just call them heritage or something, being raised in the woods nets you +herba, growing up in a cold environment nets you frost res and so on. Sounds cool . And min/maxxers can just fuck all that and pick the best for their playstyle without any lore beeded.
    Some might be tricky though, like whisp form for a orc
    Yea, I imagine it being a tough road to build but not a tough sell to the player base. I know for me, it would greatly increase my playing experience. To be able to completly customize your character would benifit the entire community right?

Deleted
    Never had that problem as I don't chose my character race based on racials, couldn't care less about racials.

Deleted
    I did chose my Tauren for his race back then, but someday it started to get annoying to play a mush of pixels, so I started to take those Noggenfogger thingies that turn you into a skeleton, before I changed him into a Pandaren that is.

Ridicolously its my most used elixir with the absurd amount of around 1800 Noggenfogger elixirs, one holds for 10 minutes. 18000 Minutes of Skeleton power - the few other effects of Noggenfogger.