Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    So it is, in fact, wrong to say it like this?

What about American?
    In America the proper term is " I couldn't care less ".

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xylr View Post
    You know how to read english. The first thing I said was "Stop these threads". If you are uncertain of what that exactly means, I'll quickly explain.

Stop crying about the english language. No one cares.

The second part "your language is bad because it doesn't sound like english. sounds like you making sounds"

Whatever your native language is, its bad compared to English. I don't care if English is the worst existing language, yours is worse. When you speak your native language you sound like a duck trying to speak English.

And, finally the third part "now, stop"

This one relates to the very first comment. Stop with these retarded threads. There are extremely annoying and lame. Find something else to do with your spare time. Instead of trying to pick apart the english language, and acting like you are a higher being.

Shut up.

Infracted for trolling.
    Xylr, Stahp!

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 12:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    If you think that English is hard due to double negatives, which in some languages is proper negation, the hardest problem others have with learning English as a second language is prepositions.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 11:45 PM ----------

Same difference is definitely not an oxymoron.

4-2
    6-4
    Those expressions have the same difference.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 11:46 PM ----------

"ain't" is not slang. It is defined to mean "is not, will not, are not."
    You aren't allowed to dictate what is and what isn't classified as slang.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    In America the proper term is " I couldn't care less ".

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 12:10 AM ----------

Xylr, Stahp!

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 12:12 AM ----------

You aren't allowed to dictate what is and what isn't classified as slang.
    Well it's defined as a colloquial word. There's some overlap, but that's how it's defined.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    It's not slang. "Ain't" is slang; the incorrect usage of a double negative is just wrong.

If you say "I ain't got no money," you're literally saying I don't have no money, or that you do have money. But people know what you're saying.
    So using idioms (i.e. speaking English) is wrong?

"She's one in a million" literally means that there are thousands of women like her and that number is constantly growing. But people know what you're saying.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    "ain't" is not slang. It is defined to mean "is not, will not, are not."
    Sorry kiddo, ain't is slang.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ain%27t?q=aint

The use of ain’t was widespread in the 18th century, typically as a contraction for am not. It is still perfectly normal in many dialects and informal speech in both Britain and North America. Today, however, it does not form part of standard English and should never be used in formal or written contexts.
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini.../slang?q=slang

a type of language consisting of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.
    To the OP. The use of Double Negatives is simply bad English. It is not the norm, nor is it part of formal English - American is not a language btw.

On the topic of words with multiple meanings, my personal favourite is Set. This takes up more pages on the Oxford English Dictionary than any other word.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/set?q=set

Deleted
    Just to clarify, I'd hesitate to call these 'English' double negatives, because they're incorrect in English. I only hear them in 'murican, and even then I'm pretty sure it's still incorrect. Further, in other languages, double negatives *are* correct (like Italian, off the top of my head)- and no, it isn't really logical. Language never is, though, not totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishrage View Post
    Sorry kiddo, ain't is slang.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ain%27t?q=aint

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini.../slang?q=slang

To the OP. The use of Double Negatives is simply bad English. It is not the norm, nor is it part of formal English - American is not a language btw.

On the topic of words with multiple meanings, my personal favourite is Set. This takes up more pages on the Oxford English Dictionary than any other word.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lish/set?q=set
    Ain't is a can fall under, slang or colloquialism. There is overlap between slang colloquial and informal speech so simply saying "it is slang, it isn't slang!" isn't going to cut it, kiddo.

Colloquial
    used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary:
    There's overlap and ain't can easily fall into colloquial.

Also while American isn't a language when one says "American" in reference to language you KNOW THEY ARE SPEAKING OF American English, only person who wouldn't get this are those that are too lazy to actually do any thinking.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-05-08 at 12:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishrage View Post
    It really depends on how you look at it. American is really just a dialect of the English language.

It is rapidly evolving in America as we have a heavy immigrant population whose native language is likely not any form of English. The majority of those immigrants are Spanish-speaking, where a double-negative is an emphatic negative.

While not "grammatically" correct by formal standards, it (and a lot of other slang) is becoming far more accepted barring formal settings.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    It really depends on how you look at it. American is really just a dialect of the English language.

It is rapidly evolving in America as we have a heavy immigrant population whose native language is likely not any form of English. The majority of those immigrants are Spanish-speaking, where a double-negative is an emphatic negative.

While not "grammatically" correct by formal standards, it (and a lot of other slang) is becoming far more accepted barring formal settings.
    Don't you know.... English can't have non vulgar informal words, because it's wrong... every other language has have these formalities and informalities but when such things exist in English it's just wrong, I really don't get the need/want to be proper all the time and belittle others who aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Inflammable means the same as flammable is another good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I want grammar nazi's to explain to me what does "do nothing" means?
    You should read this as I feel it is relevant to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Just to clarify, I'd hesitate to call these 'English' double negatives, because they're incorrect in English. I only hear them in 'murican, and even then I'm pretty sure it's still incorrect.
    Probably appears most frequently in African American Vernacular English and Southern American English, and I would say in that context it is probably 'correct' but as far as standard English goes, if such a thing exists, you are right that it is incorrect to use double negatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I ain't got no money

I don’t mean to put no pressure on you

etc

How does this make sense? I AIN'T got NO money. So you DO have money. DON'T mean to put NO pressure on you. So you ARE trying to put pressure on someone.

Why does it mean the opposite of what it should actually mean?

Never been to Essex? Boy, are you in for a treat, if you were a gramma troll your head would explode fromt he language they use here "innit"
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Irregardless.
    /thread
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

I enjoy hearing people speak like that. It makes them seem borderline retarded.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Quote Originally Posted by Komati View Post
    I enjoy hearing people speak like that. It makes them seem borderline retarded.
    Ah so you're mean spirited.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dotOrion View Post
    You should read this as I feel it is relevant to your question.
    No it is not. First of all it's about "drifting" and "being idle". Second, I know what "do nothing" means. It means "don't do anything". But literally it means "be in the process of doing nothing". Way to miss the point I was making.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Whenever i hear 'I could care less' i think of

Same Difference.
    "That car is blue"
    "No, its navy"
    "Same difference"
    For all intense and purpose the car is still blue its just not specific. Navy is a version of blue so it is blue.

Ain't....no
    "You coming out tonight"
    "No, I ain't got no money"
    I see it as an absolute, Its not a case of you don't have money to hand, its not a case that you don't have enough, you have none at all.

I've ironed out just about any terrible english I had except the use of "me and <him>" rather than "<him> and I" because the second sounds more pompous and over-formal.

I've never heard people actually use those double negatives except hillbilly stereotypes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.