Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A Suggestion for the Warlock Class

I have an idea that I would like to share with you all. I recently completed the warlock scenario, “Pursuing the Black Harvest” and obtained green fire for my warlock. On the last part of the scenario you fight Kanrethrad Ebonlocke. At the very beginning of the fight he summons a Pit lord demon which you must enslave immediately. This pit lord is the crux of the fight and you must learn how to manage his abilities as well as staying alive.

This Pit lord has very unique and very interesting abilities. He has his basic attack which is a Cleave. He has three special abilities called Demonic Siphon, Fel Flame Breath and Charge. Demonic siphon is just a healing spell that steals health from the pit lord to the caster. Fel flame breath is an aoe but in a cone attack that deals fire damage to anyone in its wake AND removes any magical debuff on them. The charge is simply just a stun like what warriors have.

So my idea is to make this guy part of the Warlock spell book for the next expansion. Blizzard has a history of adding at least one new spell to every class at or near the max level; demonic circle at level 80, demon soul at level 85 and demonic gateway at 87. What about a Pit lord at level 95? Imagine summoning a Pit lord for you own warlock and wreck destruction on your enemies? I would rather the Pit Lord be another Guardian demon like the Doomguard and Infernal because if they made the Pit lord like a permanent summon- able demon, they would probably nerf the guy or remove his signature abilities, resulting in a slightly larger voidwalker.

I say make this awesome demon a Guardian demon for two reasons: (1) this Demon with at least one of this signature abilities from the Kanrethrad fight would bring unique utility. Fel Flame Breath deals fire damage to friendly targets (it’s minimal damage) but removes magical debuffs off anyone in demonic fire. I say, use this as its signature ability, if that is too overpowered for a Guardian demon, then increase it’s cooldown, increase hp cost (like Unbound Will does when used) or increase the demon cooldown itself OR make it last half as long compared to the other Guardian demons. But I don’t think this would make the Pit lord overpowered, because Guardian demons cannot be used in Rated matches. Also, in a PVE setting, does having more Utility a bad thing? You sacrifice a dps cooldown (e.g. Doomguard/terrorguard) for providing your raid group with a demon that could eliminate bad debuffs on you. Very helpful indeed.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2013-05-08 at 06:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I am not a warlock, your idea would be fascinating ... Imagine invoke at the middle of a BG a huge Pit Lord! It would be as if a Death Knight could invoke a Frost Wyrm!

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Although I am not a warlock, your idea would be fascinating ... Imagine invoke at the middle of a BG a huge Pit Lord! It would be as if a Death Knight could invoke a Frost Wyrm!
    Well that isnt relevant to the subject of the thread but THAT is very interesting.

That could add a Frost wyrm as DPS cooldown for Frost DKS since Unholy dks have gargoyles

Deleted
    I wouldn't mind having a Pit Lord summon ability instead of metamorph in demo spec that's for sure...

That would be awesome.

It could replace the old curse of doom that needed so many people to summon.

Also, it could double up as a mount XD

Though that would be cool several years ago before they even came up with Metamorph, (when Demonology focused on Demons), I dont see that ever happen unless Blizzard does another Revamp of this specialization.

Metamorph is undoubtedly here to stay.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 06:02 PM ----------

@Totle,

I like that idea too. I miss the old ritual of doom.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make it the warlock version of Army of the Dead. But instead of 20 little ghouls, it's 1 huge pit lord.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Make it the warlock version of Army of the Dead. But instead of 20 little ghouls, it's 1 huge pit lord.

lol yeah thats the idea. The deathknight's army of dead is akin to a Warlock's Guardian demon.

Deleted
    I've always wanted a pit lord as a pet, we would fight alongside, I would pet him, groom him, maybe even ride on his back!

While I like the suggestion, I need to point out that the size of the Pit Lord and other major demons would be a huge problem. Blizzard already has to make bosses large so we can see them... every warlock having an Annihilan would cause some huge problems in PvE and especially in PvP.

A small Annihilan would just look silly.

It would certainly be nice if a way could be found for this to work, though.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    While I like the suggestion, I need to point out that the size of the Pit Lord and other major demons would be a huge problem. Blizzard already has to make bosses large so we can see them... every warlock having an Annihilan would cause some huge problems in PvE and especially in PvP.

A small Annihilan would just look silly.

It would certainly be nice if a way could be found for this to work, though.
    So...

What are those huge problems in PVE and pvp?

And size isn't much of an issue.

The pit lord can be the same "size" of the Infernal or slightly larger.

I like the idea, but I'd like to see the Pitlord as a separate CD than the Inferal/Doomguard.

Next xpac would also be a great time for Shamans to get an Air Elemental guardian...

Quote Originally Posted by Kulu View Post
    I like the idea, but I'd like to see the Pitlord as a separate CD than the Inferal/Doomguard.

I think the reason why Infernal and doomguard share a cooldown is simply for balance issues. If you remove the shared cooldown, you'd be giving warlocks too much.

If they made Pit lord into a guardian it would have its own use as compared to the infernals' purpose, and the doomguards purpose.

Remember we're warlocks not hunters.

These cretins are tools and servants. Nothing more. We use them for a purpose and then they die or go away back into the Nether.

Fel Flame breath would give Pit lord a unique tool.

Doomguard: pure dps cooldown, at Execute range.

Infernal: Aoe stun, aoe dps cooldown

Pit lord: Cleanses debuffs and aoe dps cooldown ( pit lord's basic attack is Cleave)

Quote Originally Posted by justinmccray111 View Post
    I'm very new to this Forum, and not very good at using this format. If the font bothers anyone, let me know and I can change it.
    Refrain from posting in large font-size

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    Next xpac would also be a great time for Shamans to get an Air Elemental guardian...
    again awesome idea but maybe make a thread and suggestion about it in the Shaman forum?

on that note.. I think they should revamp Primal elementalist (the talent) and give shamans permanent pets

OR

give Elemental a permanent pet.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Refrain from posting in large font-size

and what large font size is that you dont want me to post in? There's different numbers for Font size.
    Last edited by justinmccray111; 2013-05-07 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As fun as it sounds, the moment it went live and locks started being jerks summoning them on mailboxes/vendors etc, their size would just get nerfed. Ask any hunter if you doubt me.

#jerksarewhywecanthavenicethings

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    As fun as it sounds, the moment it went live and locks started being jerks summoning them on mailboxes/vendors etc, their size would just get nerfed. Ask any hunter if you doubt me.

#jerksarewhywecanthavenicethings
    How is this an issue?

Do people do this with Infernals?

Their is of course no reason why Blizzard can't add it when looking from a balance perspective since numbers can be changed without any problems

However...

The true problem lies in its function we already have a single target guardian and a multi target guardian, what function would a beast like a Pit Lord fulfil?

Blizzard doesn't give new spell just because it looks cool, that causes bloat and Blizzard developers have been reducing the number of useless ability's each class have by either combining different effects or just removing them since they did not serve any purpose.

Also their is no point in having two strong guardians that we will only be able to use once during a fight so putting them on a separate cooldown wouldn't really solve the first problem in that we have 2 cool downs that have the exact same function but only different look.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Their is of course no reason why Blizzard can't add it when looking from a balance perspective since numbers can be changed without any problems

However...

The true problem lies in its function we already have a single target guardian and a multi target guardian, what function would a beast like a Pit Lord fulfil?

Blizzard doesn't give new spell just because it looks cool, that causes bloat and Blizzard developers have been reducing the number of useless ability's each class have by either combining different effects or just removing them since they did not serve any purpose.

Also their is no point in having two strong guardians that we will only be able to use once during a fight so putting them on a separate cooldown wouldn't really solve the first problem in that we have 2 cool downs that have the exact same function but only different look.
    The thing that separates each guardian is utility:

Doomguard: Pure dps cooldown better served when target is under 20%
    Infernal: Pure aoe dps cooldown. Better served on aoe intensive fights and when a stun is needed.
    (most used in pvp setting anyways)

Pit Lord: aoe/single target dps; better served when Fel Flame breath is needed to cleanse crap off your team or raid group.