Deleted

Rig for twitch.tv streaming - need advice

Hi guys!

I'd like to stream on twitch.tv more regularly without turning my graphics settings down. I'm not looking to immediately upgrade, but would appreciate any/all advice for the future.

When I turn OBS on I lose about 30 FPS and the games I play become very 'choppy' and it makes it hard for me to enjoy streaming and make it entertaining for my 9 viewers!

Games I'm playing:

WoW
    Diablo III
    LoL

The biggest issue I have is with WoW - particularly Throne of Thunder where things get mega choppy.

If you stream on twitch.tv - what setup do you use and does it work well for you?

Internet speeds for those interested:

Up: 60.6Mbps
    Down: 2.88Mbps

I guess I'm looking for hardware tips to improve performance/reduce frame rate loss when I hit stream now.

Any other questions - feel free to ask as I'm notoriously bad at providing enough information!

Thanks,

Gamebetter

Deleted
    You still have a HD5670 and i3 cpu?

Well, for a start I think you have the Upload/Download the wrong way around.

Assuming you're with Virgin Media that means it's definitely 60 down, 3 up and you previously had 30/3 but they doubled your download for free without doubling your upload.

You don't mention your specs but I can guess that your CPU isn't up to much by dropping 30fps immediately.

Multi-core processors are very good for live-streaming or recording, so the equivalent to an Intel 3770k or the AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ would be good choices. (while being "relatively cheap" - as there are more expensive processors about!)

You also want a top end GPU like 7970 / GTX 680 (again, their equivalents when the new ones come out, which would be the 8970 / 780 sort of thing).

It'd be ideal if you could increase your upload speed but I don't think Virgin Media would do anything for you; so you'd have to look into that.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    You have to disable Aero while using OBS, otherwise it will mess up your FPS bad.

I saw a pretty noticeable performance improvement having DXTory rather than OBS to do the frame capture. You might want to pull a demo copy down and try and see if it helps. I don't have a good explanation for why that would be better, and I'm not sure if you'd see something similar on lower-spec hardware than I use but it's worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebetter View Post
    When I turn OBS on I lose about 30 FPS and the games I play become very 'choppy' and it makes it hard for me to enjoy streaming and make it entertaining for my 9 viewers!
    That sounds more like too slow computer problem than internet connection problem. What kind of hardware you're using?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    what hardware are you currently running?

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Well, for a start I think you have the Upload/Download the wrong way around.

Assuming you're with Virgin Media that means it's definitely 60 down, 3 up and you previously had 30/3 but they doubled your download for free without doubling your upload.

You don't mention your specs but I can guess that your CPU isn't up to much by dropping 30fps immediately.

Multi-core processors are very good for live-streaming or recording, so the equivalent to an Intel 3770k or the AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ would be good choices. (while being "relatively cheap" - as there are more expensive processors about!)

You also want a top end GPU like 7970 / GTX 680 (again, their equivalents when the new ones come out, which would be the 8970 / 780 sort of thing).

It'd be ideal if you could increase your upload speed but I don't think Virgin Media would do anything for you; so you'd have to look into that.
    The i7 is definitely the way to go for Game streaming, it's around 35-37% faster per core than FX-8350, making it much stronger for streaming WoW.
    Top end GPU is no way needed, a GTX 560 TI would suffice easily for all the games OP mentioned. But since we are in the 6xx generation, the 660 TI is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    The i7 is definitely the way to go for Game streaming, it's around 35-37% faster per core than FX-8350, making it much stronger for streaming WoW.
    Top end GPU is no way needed, a GTX 560 TI would suffice easily for all the games OP mentioned. But since we are in the 6xx generation, the 660 TI is a good choice.
    I agree that the i7 is generally faster, but I have heard good things about the FX-8350 with streaming - not actually tried/tested it myself though.

As this is a bit of a hypothetical situation (as it's sometime in the not too distant future, like a couple of months by the sounds of it) a game or two might come out that the OP wants to play, and might be graphically intensive.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    I agree that the i7 is generally faster, but I have heard good things about the FX-8350 with streaming - not actually tried/tested it myself though.
    For purely high quality streaming purposes FX-8350 beats i5's clerarly but loses slightly to i7's. So in one niche use it might be viable purchase or upgrade to make, even for WoW.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    For those interested in specs:

Deleted
    the i3 is the culprit.
    i3 is entry level chip and it is also quite dated at this time for cpu bound games, let alone streaming

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebetter View Post
    For those interested in specs:
    Basically your problem is the i3-540 processor. Even though it's decent for gaming use, dualcore is not suitable for streaming. Your options are either swapping motherboard+cpu or get a capture card. If you're thinking about upgrades, I'd wait for a month and get new mobo+cpu when Intel comes out with new stuff in four weeks.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give this a look see, might be worth it and it can capture from any hdmi source. I'm contemplating getting one for myself. Read the review see what you think. It's at least worth a look.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard