Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezo View Post
    Wooah 7 losses in a row? That must be your fault, I basically win almost every bg I join. A player an do a lot for the team if he wants and knows how to do it. Of course there are some battlegrounds where one players contributions is not enough to get that win.
    It really depends on the class and the rest of the team as well. A full tyrannical rogue can kill a flag carrier on his own without troubles, but good luck winning the game if the rest of your team is in blues/greens and are mentally retarded.
    While one player can make a big difference, with a terrible team or a bad map, that difference won't be enough to win a game.

  2. #22
    Herald of the Titans Theodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    It honestly didn't matter how the Original Poster started the conversion. The other guy would've still been hostile back just because he can. I also believe based on the Original Poster's rant that he has good intentions and therefore in a way I feel bad.
    If people have already decided that everyone is going to be hostile then the problem lies with that person making that decision. I've had people PM me in a BG with some advice or a request without them being condescending right off the bat and responded in kind. The reason everyone is being a dick is because, if you've decided everyone is going to be a dick, you'll be the one talking to them and coming across as the kind of person being complained about in this thread. It's a self-fulfilling prediction.

    I think the problem is people are too eager to accuse others of having no social skills when they don't attempt to use any themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    It really depends on the class and the rest of the team as well. A full tyrannical rogue can kill a flag carrier on his own without troubles, but good luck winning the game if the rest of your team is in blues/greens and are mentally retarded.
    While one player can make a big difference, with a terrible team or a bad map, that difference won't be enough to win a game.
    The issue is also that a team in mostly blues going up against really well equipped opposition (epics) is going to either require serious skills and teamwork to overcome, which is just not going to happen in a random BG, or the team with the better gear will have to be super-bad. The disparity in strength from gear is huge now, and it's difficult to function inside a BG if that difference is dominant. hopefully that will be addressed in 5.3, but I've said that before about previous patches so I'll not hold my breath on that.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-05-08 at 05:09 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

  3. #23
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    618
    I dunno, sometimes I just wanna kill shit, especially after being on a losing streak in rbgs/meeting nothing but healer/dps teams in 2s. That, and I often drift around in my own little world. Even in rated Though I do have the mental capacity to realise towers > flag in eots, and when someone on my team gets the flag with 0 bases up, I go "so where exactly do you plan on capping that"/"gg fc". But nevermind me, I'm inconsistent.

    Oh, and you did seem kinda rude. Someone's rude to me, I typically respond back in a ... not so nice manner.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I dunno, sometimes I just wanna kill shit, especially after being on a losing streak in rbgs/meeting nothing but healer/dps teams in 2s. That, and I often drift around in my own little world. Even in rated Though I do have the mental capacity to realise towers > flag in eots, and when someone on my team gets the flag with 0 bases up, I go "so where exactly do you plan on capping that"/"gg fc". But nevermind me, I'm inconsistent.

    Oh, and you did seem kinda rude. Someone's rude to me, I typically respond back in a ... not so nice manner.
    me too, lol.

    only difference is.. i don't respond or write any whispers that aren't from my realID..havent really responded to whispers since wotlk if i don't know the person, anyone else who remembers that great noob tsunami knows why.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahada View Post
    The devs aren't stupid.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    If you whispered me like that I would have told you to fuck off as well.

    Also if you lose 7/7 bgs the problem is probably you.
    Not really, it's dumb luck. I'm overall at a 70-80% win ratio and there are days when I might aswell stop playing because I lose 3-4 games in a row because I end up with bad and undergeared players only.

  6. #26
    Pit Lord tommypilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    It really does. Its bad enough when people feel the need to 'offer' unsolicited advice to random strangers, but to do so in a rude and disrespectful manner simply magnifies the negative nature of the comments.

    To put it this way, how would you respond if some stranger walked up to you on the street and asked you "Have you ever put your own shoes on before ? Because you !@#$ing suck at tying your shoe laces."

    Yeah, I really want to hear that person's advice after hearing that...
    100% true. If you approach people politely they will be far more inclined to listen. You might as well have started out with "omfg, l2p".
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

  7. #27
    Banned Ryan Cailan Ebonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Long Island New York, USA
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    If people have already decided that everyone is going to be hostile then the problem lies with that person making that decision. I've had people PM me in a BG with some advice or a request without them being condescending right off the bat and responded in kind. The reason everyone is being a dick is because, if you've decided everyone is going to be a dick, you'll be the one talking to them and coming across as the kind of person being complained about in this thread. It's a self-fulfilling prediction.

    I think the problem is people are too eager to accuse others of having no social skills when they don't attempt to use any themselves.

    Please explain to me how the OP was being condescending? He asked a question if the other guy has played this bg before. The other guy basically responds with "how about you shut your fucking mouth" Lord forbid someone ruined that mans day for talking to him. Regardless if you felt the OP was condescending or not, I still would've replied in a better manner. If I was that guy I would go with something like "Yeah I've played this bg before, and I believe capping the flag is better than 3 bases." and then follow up with reasons as to why. If the OP then gave me an attitude, I would probably not reply.

    Not you specifically, but I've read some of the posts in this thread claiming that the OP is arrogant. I would think that the person who takes offense to someone asking them a question about their experience in game has a self inflated ego and is pretty arrogant about their game. Its okay to have an ego as long as you can back it up that you're a superior player. Having the right type of ego usually means you're a natural leader and probably a good one. However, the wrong type of ego is to believe that you can do whatever you want because you're better than God, and no one is allowed to disturb you in your special world that you rule. These people also tend to believe they can treat anyone how they please, because again, they're better than God.

    The impression that I get from some people in this thread is "how dare you claim that I don't know what I'm doing" and instead of politely responding with the reasons as to why they're capping the flags, they respond with venom that gets both parties nowhere. Its a vicious cycle, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.

    I'm not asking for everyone to tolerate each other and always be nice every day of your lives. That's basically speech Fascism with a smile. I understand that everyone has awful days and sometimes like to vent our frustrations to randoms on the internet. But it gets to a point where there is a problem with today's young generation (18-25) with the way they behave. I could drivel on and on about how the ww2 generation was the last generation of good parents but I'm sure people wouldn't want to read it. I'm sure nobody has even read this post up to this point so I'll just stop. I write way too long sometimes and I really need to learn how to write shorter but still get the meaning across.

  8. #28
    You'll catch more flys with honey than with vinegar.
    "Brevity is...wit"

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrantia View Post
    Rant incoming. I finished this battleground 10 minutes ago, so it's still all fresh. In b4 "chill itzjust a gaem lol".

    So I logged on tonight at 19.00 on my warrior and decided to do some random BGs. After 6 straight losses, I queued for my 7th and final BG, which popped as EOTS. Finally it seemed like we (horde) had more than 1 healer meaning we'd have a decent chance.

    Game starts and 11 out of 15 players go middle to flag. Alliance quickly takes 3 bases and sit there while those 11 guys keep fighting around in middle. Multiple calls in raid channel, to no avail. "Okay", I think, "so they must all be bots." In particular I pay attention to this mage who keeps getting flag and capping it even though we only had 1 base. I decide to whisper him to specifically ask why he is doing something so counterproductive and the following short conversation unfolds:



    So it turns out that no, it's not bots, it's just people who deliberately don't want to win. Because obviously that must be the logic behind this "do not disturb people in randoms" business. And if you don't want to win (in BGs, by clearing a dungeon, by killing a boss), why play this game? Social aspect? No, because if you'd cared for social aspect you'd actually try to interact with others in an attempt to, well I don't know, reach a common goal!

    I'm in no way God's gift to PvP, in fact I consider myself quite terrible, but what I can do is do my best to achieve game objectives. When 11 out of 15 people in a BG don't try even that.. It's sad to be playing with people like that.

    I guess my question would be if this is really the way people think about random BGs? Am I the silly one here, trying to talk reason to people whom I should just leave in peace to run around aimlessly wasting everyone's time? And what is your experience - have you ever managed to take control of a random BG group and actually make it work? I'd say it's possible but it's more of an exception than a rule.

    Disclaimer: this is a silly rant so not all arguments might have been considered or thought through prior to posting.
    Unfortunately that is the state of random PVP right now. The odds that something could go against you simply out number anything going for you in random BGS considering the factors involved. First you need a competent team, then you need a team that listens and not bitch around. As much as I hate the "BG hero", I often prefer when 1 person takes charge, its often a win as everyone is on the same page and in sync. But then you know some idiot is going to get pissed of for being told, its its a tricky situation. Then it also depends on the number of healers each group has and then you have to settle with PVE scrubs, BoTs, and more.

    Then you also have to hope the other team is totally crap, disorganised, bitching among themselves, and more.

    So you really have to have all the stars align to win a random BG.

    That is why I've completely given up solo queueing. I only PVP in premades at end game. Sure you may lose an occasional one, since its hard trying to carry a noob team in BGs such as EotS and the bigger ones, but the flag capping ones seem a bit easier.

    But the response you got seems to be the common one in BGs these days. The last time I played the game, I use to often get "Its only a game, BRO" (even though I ain't a bro), "I am here to have some fun".

    However, on returning all I get are, "Go play RBGs if you want to play seriously" or anything with "RBGs" in it.

  10. #30
    The Patient Avrantia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    201
    Thanks to everyone for putting in 2c. I guess I primarily simply had to vent, but it's also nice to hear the general opinion of the random BG role in today's PvP (ie. noone really cares and it's all down to luck; people not liking to be told what to do even if it is the right thing).

    As for people calling me arrogant/condescending, well, that is your opinion which you are entitled to. I guess I could have come off more polite in the original whisper (which can be interpreted as condescending, even though it wasn't meant to be that). I will have to be more careful next time.

  11. #31
    You basically start off by calling him a noob.You directly harm your own cause, and encourage him not to follow your advice.Nobody likes to follow orders from someone they don't like.
    Just don't underestimate politeness.

  12. #32
    What it boils down to is that you're playing a game with tons of children and you're so over sensitive that you just felt obligated to post that screenshot even though everybody surely has experienced something similar multiple times. Just ignore the guy and move on, or troll back and take advantage of the siutation.

  13. #33
    The problem today is everyone is so rude to each other.

    No offense to the OP but if you whispered me like that, I wouldn't have responded kindly either.

    I know you are frustrated and we all get like that sometimes but as someone else said its better to be proactive than negative.

    Much better to get some backup and go after a base yourself.

  14. #34
    1. queue random
    2. control mid
    3. ignore objectives
    4. top charts

    its a winning formula really
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    It honestly didn't matter how the Original Poster started the conversion. The other guy would've still been hostile back just because he can.
    And you know this how exactly? Of course, we'll never know because the OP decided to open the conversation being a d!ck.

  16. #36
    "Have you ever played this battleground before? Do you know what the purpose is?"

    How can people call this rude? Those are completely legit questions to someone who doesn't seem to know how the bg works.

    It certainly didn't justify the snarky response he got from the guy.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    If you whispered me like that I would have told you to fuck off as well.

    Also if you lose 7/7 bgs the problem is probably you.
    All of my wat.

  18. #38
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,411
    i stopped caring and trying to explain/direct things in random bgs basically from the inception of the cross server bg queue. its just never really been worth my effort and time to actually try and explain/direct. most people will ignore it, call you retarded/terrible/troll, or are bots.

  19. #39
    I would have put OP on ignore and gone back to farming hk in mid.

  20. #40
    Epic! Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonized View Post
    "Have you ever played this battleground before? Do you know what the purpose is?"

    How can people call this rude? Those are completely legit questions to someone who doesn't seem to know how the bg works.

    It certainly didn't justify the snarky response he got from the guy.
    How about instead you and I are playing Darts, and you make a few bad shots in a row, and I said to you, "Have you ever even played this game before? Do you know what the objective is?"
    Would you think that was rude?
    Same principle.
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •