Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Avrantia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    201

    Random BGs - is this really what it boils down to?

    Rant incoming. I finished this battleground 10 minutes ago, so it's still all fresh. In b4 "chill itzjust a gaem lol".

    So I logged on tonight at 19.00 on my warrior and decided to do some random BGs. After 6 straight losses, I queued for my 7th and final BG, which popped as EOTS. Finally it seemed like we (horde) had more than 1 healer meaning we'd have a decent chance.

    Game starts and 11 out of 15 players go middle to flag. Alliance quickly takes 3 bases and sit there while those 11 guys keep fighting around in middle. Multiple calls in raid channel, to no avail. "Okay", I think, "so they must all be bots." In particular I pay attention to this mage who keeps getting flag and capping it even though we only had 1 base. I decide to whisper him to specifically ask why he is doing something so counterproductive and the following short conversation unfolds:



    So it turns out that no, it's not bots, it's just people who deliberately don't want to win. Because obviously that must be the logic behind this "do not disturb people in randoms" business. And if you don't want to win (in BGs, by clearing a dungeon, by killing a boss), why play this game? Social aspect? No, because if you'd cared for social aspect you'd actually try to interact with others in an attempt to, well I don't know, reach a common goal!

    I'm in no way God's gift to PvP, in fact I consider myself quite terrible, but what I can do is do my best to achieve game objectives. When 11 out of 15 people in a BG don't try even that.. It's sad to be playing with people like that.

    I guess my question would be if this is really the way people think about random BGs? Am I the silly one here, trying to talk reason to people whom I should just leave in peace to run around aimlessly wasting everyone's time? And what is your experience - have you ever managed to take control of a random BG group and actually make it work? I'd say it's possible but it's more of an exception than a rule.

    Disclaimer: this is a silly rant so not all arguments might have been considered or thought through prior to posting.

  2. #2
    To be fair if you whispered me rudely, throwing your weight about in a random bground I would have put you on ignore rather than wasted time replying...

    I'm not saying you are wrong in the point you made, but you are really wasting your time approaching people in a quite rude way and expecting them to respond in a way that will please you.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrantia View Post
    Rant incoming. I finished this battleground 10 minutes ago, so it's still all fresh. In b4 "chill itzjust a gaem lol".

    So I logged on tonight at 19.00 on my warrior and decided to do some random BGs. After 6 straight losses, I queued for my 7th and final BG, which popped as EOTS. Finally it seemed like we (horde) had more than 1 healer meaning we'd have a decent chance.

    Game starts and 11 out of 15 players go middle to flag. Alliance quickly takes 3 bases and sit there while those 11 guys keep fighting around in middle. Multiple calls in raid channel, to no avail. "Okay", I think, "so they must all be bots." In particular I pay attention to this mage who keeps getting flag and capping it even though we only had 1 base. I decide to whisper him to specifically ask why he is doing something so counterproductive and the following short conversation unfolds:



    So it turns out that no, it's not bots, it's just people who deliberately don't want to win. Because obviously that must be the logic behind this "do not disturb people in randoms" business. And if you don't want to win (in BGs, by clearing a dungeon, by killing a boss), why play this game? Social aspect? No, because if you'd cared for social aspect you'd actually try to interact with others in an attempt to, well I don't know, reach a common goal!

    I'm in no way God's gift to PvP, in fact I consider myself quite terrible, but what I can do is do my best to achieve game objectives. When 11 out of 15 people in a BG don't try even that.. It's sad to be playing with people like that.

    I guess my question would be if this is really the way people think about random BGs? Am I the silly one here, trying to talk reason to people whom I should just leave in peace to run around aimlessly wasting everyone's time? And what is your experience - have you ever managed to take control of a random BG group and actually make it work? I'd say it's possible but it's more of an exception than a rule.

    Disclaimer: this is a silly rant so not all arguments might have been considered or thought through prior to posting.
    Welcome to Randoms.

    Get a premade if you don't want to get left in a ditch leaking out your entrails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Mr.EvilGreedyPresident goes "MWAHAHAH YOU PUNY PROGRAMMER, I'M BUYING A NEW FERRARI AND THERE'S O MONEY LEFT FOR YOUR PUNY CONTENT, WITHER AND DIE AND SCREW THE PLAYERS MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *thunder echoes in the distance*"
    Main - Useful PvP Items

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Theodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,817
    Your opening choice of words wasn't exactly setting the table for a simple bit of advice. I'm not sure what sort of reply you were expecting, but you will always get either a short rebuttal or a drawn out back and forth mud slinging match if you don't at least be somewhat respectful.

    I can totally understand how annoying it is to see people acting against the objective of a battleground for their own enjoyment at the expense of others, but some people are just like that when you can't do anything about them. Engaging them in a discussion is a waste of time. For those who genuingly will accept some advice; I wouldn't choose to open a discussion with them in the way you did.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-05-07 at 08:22 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

  5. #5
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. When you queue up for a random, you take your chances. You might get a group that wants to win by focusing on the objectives, teaming up and taking bases strategically. Or you might get a group that wants to charge into the middle and spend the next 15min between trying to blow random people up and waiting for the respawn timer to pop.

    They are random BGs. Akin to LFR in a sense, not everybody wants to "win" and some people just want to dick around. /shrug

  6. #6
    The guy did want to win. He was capping flags. He just doesn't know the points scale with the number of bases you control.

    Reread your initial tell to the player. You immediately put him on the defensive. Do you really expect him to be receptive to you? Your second tell included the word "tard". His reaction seems predictable and, well, justifiable.

  7. #7
    People are narcissistic dickbags, and they're worse when it's anonymous.

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Ryan Cailan Ebonheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Long Island New York, USA
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Your opening choice of words wasn't exactly setting the table for a simple bit of advice. I'm not sure what sort of reply you were expecting, but you will always get either a short rebuttal or a drawn out back and forth mud slinging match if you don't at least be somewhat respectful.

    I can totally understand how annoying it is to see people acting against the objective of a battleground for their own enjoyment at the expense of others, but some people are just like that when you can't do anything about them. Engaging them in a discussion is a waste of time. For those who genuingly will accept some advice; I wouldn't choose to open a discussion with them in the way you did.
    It honestly didn't matter how the Original Poster started the conversion. The other guy would've still been hostile back just because he can. I also believe based on the Original Poster's rant that he has good intentions and therefore in a way I feel bad.

    As for my sentiments I believe its a hopeless cause to talk to other people in any random setting. I applaud the OP for at least attempting to communicate but most people are very self centered these days. I mean its okay to be a little self centered but some people want no business with other people at all. Its the way the internet generation is now, people just don't like human interaction anymore and when confronted with it have no idea to socially interact. Its not surprising that the other guy that responded to the OP was cursing and being rude, typical behavior from someone who has no social skills.

    All I'm saying is that if the other guy thought the OP was being rude or was wrong, he could've went about it in a different way.
    "Machinehead" by Bush "Blood is like wine, unconscious all the time. If I had it all again, I'd change it all."
    (My top song since 05/02/2014) http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwBDnYj7plQ

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    To be fair if you whispered me rudely, throwing your weight about in a random bground I would have put you on ignore rather than wasted time replying...

    I'm not saying you are wrong in the point you made, but you are really wasting your time approaching people in a quite rude way and expecting them to respond in a way that will please you.

    well, this is awkward.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahada View Post
    The devs aren't stupid.

  10. #10
    If you whispered me like that I would have told you to fuck off as well.

    Also if you lose 7/7 bgs the problem is probably you.

  11. #11
    Wooah 7 losses in a row? That must be your fault, I basically win almost every bg I join. A player an do a lot for the team if he wants and knows how to do it. Of course there are some battlegrounds where one players contributions is not enough to get that win.

  12. #12
    He's sucks and is proud of it. At least he's at keyboard :/

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    It honestly didn't matter how the Original Poster started the conversion.
    It really does. Its bad enough when people feel the need to 'offer' unsolicited advice to random strangers, but to do so in a rude and disrespectful manner simply magnifies the negative nature of the comments.

    To put it this way, how would you respond if some stranger walked up to you on the street and asked you "Have you ever put your own shoes on before ? Because you !@#$ing suck at tying your shoe laces."

    Yeah, I really want to hear that person's advice after hearing that...

  14. #14
    like others have said, its random, u just gota expect the worst. IF you really want to win in a random take a few people with u, u can try queing alone and talking to the group, but the majority wont listen. not everyone wants to win, some people just want to blow shit up, ive been at 2500rbg rating and go into random bgs and just go mid and blow shit up, and get the same tells, yes i know how to do the bg, but do i want to escort and cap flags? not always, sometimes i just want to go mid and swifty macro people

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    People are narcissistic dickbags, and they're worse when it's anonymous.
    this. Goes for everyone in the world.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Danishpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    If you whispered me like that I would have told you to fuck off as well.

    Also if you lose 7/7 bgs the problem is probably you.
    Yeah ofc. Cause losing several BG's in a row does NOT happen that often amirite? The amount of retards you meet in BG's keeps amazing me. Either people don't care or people are just stupid. Not listening to people who do know what to do, ignoring inc calls, fighting in the middle or on the roads, leaving bases unguarded etc.

    It's a waste of time and the "reward" you get is a joke.

  17. #17
    I actually haven't had many problems ith random bgs lately. I actually play with my brother and i heal him so the two of us can usually get shit done. I also always ask people politely to cap 3 towers in eots rather than run to mid. TBH I find it unbelievable that some people still haven't figured out that 3 bases > flag running. If I get grouped with randoms who don't play the objective, I just repeat "serenity now" a couple of times and hope the next one goes better. No point bitching about stuff you can't control.

    I also find that just telling peope what to do isn't always the best course of action. For example, telling people in WSG to stop camping the gy and go after efc might not be as effective as calling out where the efc is and what not and having an all around positive attitude. People respond better to that IMO.
    Last edited by blaqkmagick; 2013-05-08 at 04:13 AM.

  18. #18
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,273
    What annoys me more is when people refuse to cap even when there is 5+ people mid saying in "/raid cap the flag!".

    I don't mind people that don't know what they are doing, but at least listen to the chat when multiple people are telling you the same thing.

  19. #19
    i'm still amazed that after what 5 years of eots being out people still don't get how to win it
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

  20. #20
    Pit Lord Bryntrollian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Outside Black Gate of Mordor...
    Posts
    2,462
    You come off as someone who is arrogant and thinks they are vastly superior to everyone else; I would have raged at you too.
    Synek - best rogue in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think I know what the acronym "tsg" is. It's not RBG's or Arena, random battlegrounds, or any form of dungeon or raid that I can think of. What does it mean?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •