so gem full mastery?

i have heard from a couple shamans that when they gem completely all 320 mastery in everything, they see an increase in their DPS, instead of going for int and socket bonuses.

can anyone confirm or deny this?

Deleted
    The idea with gemming full mastery was that you lost very little single target dps but gained quite abig (a few percentage atleast) in aoe damage, and quite a few bosses requires some kind of CL usage.

I personally don't to this, but can see reason why people would. You should however NOT ignore good socket bonuses, just focus all towards mastery.

I have been using hybrid gems for awhile (Int / Mastery). I decided to go full out mastery gems, just to see what the dps difference is single target (patchwerk only).

This is a PE / Echo build.

Angrysteel : 173455 dps - Hybrid Gems
    Angrysteel : 173404 dps - Full Mastery Gems (10 pure mastery gems in total)

So a 50 dps loss (negligible) to single target, for a hefty aoe gain.

And for giggles, the same sim but doing the opposite (used hybrid int / haste gems).

Angrysteel : 174263 dps

About a 900 dps gain to single target, if going full haste / int instead of mastery for a PE build. Does the 900 dps single target outweigh the significant loss of aoe? Thats for you to decide.

For myself, i know my single target is terrible compared to any other class in ToT. Giving myself an extra 1k dps isnt going to magically jump me from the bottom to the top on single target fights. I know my strength is in my cleave and burst, so i personally gem / reforge / gear to my strengths (heavy mastery).

To each his own and luckily there really isnt a wrong answer for Ele. The stat weights are so very close, regardless of stacking haste, mastery, or splitting the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrysteel View Post
    you should sim a EB / Echo build with your high mastery. would be interesting to get that values.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrysteel View Post
    I have been using hybrid gems for awhile (Int / Mastery). I decided to go full out mastery gems, just to see what the dps difference is single target (patchwerk only).

Angrysteel : 173455 dps - Hybrid Gems
    Angrysteel : 173404 dps - Full Mastery Gems (10 pure mastery gems in total)

So a 50 dps loss (negligible) to single target, for a hefty aoe gain.

And for giggles, the same sim but doing the opposite (used hybrid int / haste gems).

Angrysteel : 174263 dps

About a 900 dps gain to single target, if going full haste / int instead of mastery for a PE build. Does the 900 dps single target outweigh the significant loss of aoe? Thats for you to decide.

For myself, i know my single target is terrible compared to any other class in ToT. Giving myself an extra 1k dps isnt going to magically jump me from the bottom to the top on single target fights. I know my strength is in my cleave and burst, so i personally gem / reforge / gear to my strengths (heavy mastery).

To each his own and luckily there really isnt a wrong answer for Ele. The stat weights are so very close, regardless of stacking haste, mastery, or splitting the 2.
    How much aoe gain is it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nebria View Post
    you should sim a EB / Echo build with your high mastery. would be interesting to get that values.
    EB / Echo (patchwerk, 250,000 iterations, full mastery build)
    Angrysteel : 174774 dps

Stat Weights
    INT - 5.09
    SP - 4.15
    Haste - 2.74
    Mastery - 2.58
    Crit - 1.98

Both Haste and Mastery are holding values higher than INT even single target. And when it comes to AoE:

Stat Weights
    INT - 21.43
    SP - 15.48
    Haste - 6.84
    Mastery - 15.54
    Crit - 14.41

Mastery and Crit out scale INT by a decent size margin, and they both out scale Haste by an enormous margin. Haste is just lackluster for aoe.

so i went essentially full mastery gem build with a few int/mas, sitting at 70.5% mastery, 20% haste, and 17.5% crit.

ill see how it works out

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    so i went essentially full mastery gem build with a few int/mas, sitting at 70.5% mastery, 20% haste, and 17.5% crit.

ill see how it works out
    jus curious if you know appporx how much int u gave u to go full mastery gems thinking about go that route as well since im getting more than 2:1 int vs mastery as well

i gave up like 800-900 int i think

Deleted
    Going full mastery for Durumu HC this week, only real boss i see a benefit of doing it on. Don't understand how you got up to 70% though, maybe better itemization. Just make sure to keep your socket bonuses for everyone doing this, not worth to go all out mastery.