Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

[Resto] Megaera 25 HC

i almost always play strictly elemental, my guild has even joked that gearing my resto spec is pointless since i would never play it... funny.

due to attendance situations this week i am going resto for megaera hc progression (25 man) to fill in for our normal shaman healer who is absent. and dealing with rampages without shaman CDs can be rough.

i have read that a full mastery build is very strong here. resto set is a few ilvls lower than my ele set, sharing a few pieces. no resto set bonuses.
    sitting at about 13.5k spirit unbuffed and 70% mastery when forged: spirit (to comfort) > mastery > crit > haste

i do okay at resto, but i haven't really healed 25 man HC progression fights before, not really sure how this mastery build will be for mana consumption compared to my normal spirit (to comfort)> mastery to 50% > crit > haste build as i can get a decent amount of crit doing it that way. i'm not quite sure yet if i will need totemic recall here for hst or if it will be safe for me to spec Primal elementalist for buffed healing, in which case i wouldn't really use recall often at all.

so my main questions are:
    1) keep my mastery build for huge rampage damage spikes and reap the benefits or forge back for crit
    2) spec PE, or keep unleashed fury and continue to use recall because i will need the mana
    3) keep healing tide and rely on other healers' cds for the rampages i can't cover, or spec AG so as to have it up for every other rampage

any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated as i cannot find too much for resto shaman POV on megaera 25 HC

edit: i do have the meta gem if that makes any difference,
    also, Bokonan US-Lightbringer, should be in my resto gear and spec atm
    Last edited by bokonan; 2013-05-08 at 11:44 AM.

If your main issue is aoe healing during rampages, assuming your spirit levels are comfy for your throughput,
    1- Get your haste to 7613 for the extra HR tick
    2- When a head is at %1-2, pre-cast your HR to your stacking point. You have to use 2 HRs for each rampage
    3- Meta gem rocks
    4- Regarding cooldowns, that is something your RL will decide. Work your way out with him but on this fight, I would go AG for rampage healing. Let me remind you that AG doesn't benefit from Ascendance so use them at different rampages.
    5- PE can be used as a throughput CD. Unglyphed, you can use it twice on this fight. The first rampage should not be much of an issue and when you use it the second time on 6th where the shit hits the fan, that bonus might come handy. On the other hand, you can supercharge your CH with UE. Your mini-rotation can be UE>HR>CH. I would go with PE again.

I would go PE with Recall, Fire Ele, and HST glyphs.
    Stat wise I would say Spirit>Crit>everything else, you will likely be having mana issues so maximizing your regen from Resurgence is crucial.
    If rampage healing is the biggest problem you are having I would definitely recommend speccing Elemental Mastery over Ancestral Swiftness.
    Cooldown wise it is up ultimately up to your RL/Healing Captain but I find I can solo CD a rampage with an EM buffed Ascendance/HTT.
    Before a rampage pop Fire/Earth ele>Riptide yourself>Unleash Life>Elemental Mastery>Healing Rain>pop HTT/Ascendance if it is your turn to CD>spam Chain Heal off yourself. Outside of rampages it can be helpful just to spam Healing Wave on someone with Diffusion to do a decent amount of healing while conserving mana.

Yeah, 7613 haste breakpoint is extra good on any fight where healing rain will end up being a big chunk of your healing. Like Meg. During non-rampage I toss a lot of tank heals (mainly GHW) as I'm healing the green head tank and we just never kill the green head so he's basically getting melee'ed incredibly fast. Having 7613 haste helps a lot for that too, as your TW-GHW ends up being the same cast time as your HS was at 12.5% total haste.

You can use either HTT or AG. Keep in mind that AG requires chain casting to be competitive. I personally still prefer HTT, as a troll I can get over 3M @3minCD per use very consistently while AG I have only broken 2M @2minCD a few times. Perhaps the issue is that AG requires the entire raid be low for mastery to enhance your rain to enhance the AG while HTT only requires a few players to be low. And without too many weak healers on the roster it's just fairly rare to have the entire raid stay low.