Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Your biggest Gold Loss fails

Hellow Everybody.

Often times the Professions Forum is used to debate about how to get wealthy with an abundance of gold and the people here seem to make no secrets about how much gold they have amassed.
    But what about gold losses? Why don't you write here about your biggest fails that lost you gold.

For me it were two cases amongst other things. Once I found a nice Guild and switched servers for them and converted my Gold into valuable Trade Goods like Crafted Gear and Mounts in order to get below the 50k Gold Tranfer Cap only to discover that they were not quiet as valuable on the new server.
    The other big fail of mine was prying at the Pandaland Expansion Itemlevels and noticing that all Items other than HC Gear were under ilvl500 so I amassed Ebonsteel Belt Buckles with the hope for profit but they were ninja nerfed during launch week to only work on Items with ilvl372 or less, and hence became nigh worth less.

Now is your turn: how did you fail and lose many Golds? Share your disappointment(s) with us.

Mechagnome
    I have shift + mouse scroll or something bound to buy items. One time I was searching for mounts and accidentally spent like 600k of overpriced mounts, probably lost 400k or so.

not huge ones but all my bigs fails are from remote AH fails...

once bought something from myself at 400k in neutral when was supposed to be 40k... lost 15% cut

a few times sold 20x item for the price of 1. lost like 3-4 gold each time

The interface is bad since it updates prices of stuff when you change the quantity and sometimes takes forever to process.

while spam buying ores back in TBC i was buyin stacks of 20 obviously, i was just clicking buy without actually looking, and after a while i realised i was buying stacks of 2 for the same price as 20, spent about 700g which was a lot for me back in tbc :P
    dragonmaw - EU

I go crazy collecting stuff all the time and generally buy stuff at the beginning of patches when they are way overpriced, such as the Elementium Geode in cata for 8k.

More recently the day 5.2 hit I was buying all the Zandalari baby raptors for 5k a piece, then got around to farming isle of giants to find out they drop fast as hell, got about 14 of them in my bags and they soon weren't even selling for 100g so I tossed them in my Gbank for the guild. 2 days later..... Blizzard fixes the drop rate and prices rise again. /facepalm

Ah, i hate these threads -.-

IIRC, i've lost 3 bikes, a bunch of mats, enchants and gems, and also finished auctions in the mail, because i stoped playing. Don't know for sure how much, but at the time i was running maybe 120k to 150k worth of auctions.
    Last time i went on a break (around last september) i lost around 150k in ores and gems in the mail. I let my subscription run, and forget about the mail. And because i take fairly long breaks (around 6 months at a time), i can't ticket those to get them replaced.

I'm cautions when using the remote AH, never lost gold with it actually.

Instantly buying out Invisible in the BMAH could possibly have been one of my fails, but I ain't losing that purdy pony(:

Nothing to major; sold some enchants worth 3-4k for 1k cause TSM didt register that I put fallback price at 4k instead of 1k

Although I'm really starting to regret having 6 tabs full of cata herbs....I see them above 20g/stack like...once a month for a day.

Pyrium ore for epic gems

Ink for inscription

left with thousands of both.

Between the Spiral and Anti-Spiral dimensions.
    Spending 50k on Darkmoon cards and then missing out on DMF because I was on vacation. The next week 5.2 rolled out.

Not too much, maybe 5k or so. But then I never really have huge amounts of gold. I do know someone on my realm is likely kicking themselves right now. I listed a Lionheart Executioner, Reborn for 56k, and someone bid on it, about 20 minutes later some people put up the same item for only 20k gold. The person who bid on mine won the auction and I'm pretty sure if they noticed the other ones up there they would be annoyed. They could have gotten 2 for the price they paid for the one.

Buying game time cards for gold >.< ~70k

They worked at first, but got redacted a few days later. Should've known.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

Stopped playing my scribe twice, losing about 300 glyphs each time

But thats not the worst, at one point i was #1 or 2 selling tcg mounts on my top 5 pop realm, decided id cash out some and sell the mounts for $ instead of gold......id been around the block plenty of times with gold, but this was my first time trying the other, scammed out of a blazing hippo/epic rocket(x-treme) turned out he was a pro scammer and had scammed at least 3 other sellers, at least he told me i was the hardest to crack(damn my wifes almost allergic reaction that made me complacent! Lol), cost me 190k, and a potential 300k

Oh ya, do t want to forget about the lvl 25 guild i bought at the end of cata for 85k, which is now worth...about 20k

Live, learn, rebound, get richer
    Last edited by Sluggo; 2013-05-08 at 09:10 PM.

Not profession related but back in Wrath I saw the epic parrot on the AH for 20k. At the time I was used to seeing it for 60k so I figured I could flip it for a pretty penny, only to promptly have the drop rate buffed a week later and the price tanked to 5k.
    Awesome Sig of Awesome courtesy of Shyama | Warlock Soloing Spreadsheet, original courtesy of Dr. Wuky
    Pokemon X FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Steel safari with Metang, Mawile, and Klefki | PM if you add me

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Not too much, maybe 5k or so. But then I never really have huge amounts of gold. I do know someone on my realm is likely kicking themselves right now. I listed a Lionheart Executioner, Reborn for 56k, and someone bid on it, about 20 minutes later some people put up the same item for only 20k gold. The person who bid on mine won the auction and I'm pretty sure if they noticed the other ones up there they would be annoyed. They could have gotten 2 for the price they paid for the one.
    Something like this happened on my realm too.
    Someone bought the warlock tome for 80k from me...on the next day, there were 5 listed for 20k each.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Pyrium ore for epic gems
    I was thinking about it, and thought I hadn't actually made anything mistakes worth more then a couple of gold, but then I saw your post, and YEP, completely forgot how badly I got in on that one and got screwed. I managed to sell a bit of the stock I had gathered to people unaware of the change, but I got stuck with a huge chunk of ore still that I all prospected in the end cause the market was just completely saturated. Still took me weeks to sell the Volatile Earth I got from it for reasonable prices. >.<

Cant say I lost money once of any significant value, but I did make some investments that were a mistake. Mostly buying out others to keep the price up, but the competition had more in stock then I thought, and keep reposting for the same price. Eventually they run dry and I could sell for the price I prefered, resulting in a major stock and timesink. I probably doubled my money in the end in most cases, but it was not worth the time that it cost me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Hellow Everybody.

Often times the Professions Forum is used to debate about how to get wealthy with an abundance of gold and the people here seem to make no secrets about how much gold they have amassed.
    But what about gold losses? Why don't you write here about your biggest fails that lost you gold.

For me it were two cases amongst other things. Once I found a nice Guild and switched servers for them and converted my Gold into valuable Trade Goods like Crafted Gear and Mounts in order to get below the 50k Gold Tranfer Cap only to discover that they were not quiet as valuable on the new server.
    The other big fail of mine was prying at the Pandaland Expansion Itemlevels and noticing that all Items other than HC Gear were under ilvl500 so I amassed Ebonsteel Belt Buckles with the hope for profit but they were ninja nerfed during launch week to only work on Items with ilvl372 or less, and hence became nigh worth less.

Now is your turn: how did you fail and lose many Golds? Share your disappointment(s) with us.
    I've never had just Gold loss fails. I often find it easy to make gold if and when required. I am always sitting on a decent stash at any given time as well. However, I don't really play the market most do. I'll flip things here and there, but will not take drastic steps as buying out entire markets.

I only do that when the chance for profits completely out way the risks. Sure that isn't the smart way of making gold, but I don't really devote all my time playing the AH and don't have a second account to camp the AH. So I have play it smart.

I can only recall 1 screw up in all my time playing WoW that cost be really big. Sure I've probably made some small fails, but this was huge when I was starting out.

I was sitting on a good stash of gold and decided just after Dragon Soul released to transfer servers. Now the gold transfer cap was only 50K. So I invested in a ton of valuable stuff. Picked up a couple Choppers, mounts, mats, and such stuff where I knew I could either make a small profit or recoup most of it back.

So any ways, all my bags were full when I transferred my Mage over. I immediately went to liquidating my stuff. I posted a chopper up on the AH for 1600G when I meant to list it up for 16000G.

Well someone bought it out pretty soon, and only when I went to check my mail did I realise what I just did. I opened a ticket but nothing good came of it. I even whispered the buyer if we could work some kind of deal, but he didn't respond. I was pretty sure he was a BoT or was using one of the AH BoT Programs. I added him and followed his movement for a while. He would sit outside the AH in Exodar camped close to 24/7 at least whenever I was online and I was online a lot that time.

I even checked his profile and his character showed no progress in any areas of the game, besides 3 days where he some how managed to pick up all his PVP gear. I had a GM look into it. Don't really know what happened though. But that was probably my biggest loss yet.

I've had smaller ones here and there, trying reset the price but I've eventually made most of it back down the road.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 10:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I wouldn't really consider it a Gold Loss, since its always hard to tell what may or could happen in the future, especially something totally out of your control.

Often times the prices for the Warlock tomes keep fluctuating. Like I saw 3 for around 6-7K on my realm. I was tempted to go out and buy 1 or 2 of them. But I knew they would drop since those that wanted it had probably already bought them. This stayed at that price for a couple of weeks. All of a sudden I saw the price shot up to 20K this week. So its hard to actually say.

I've seen gear and epic weapons and sell low one week and go back up. Often times the sellers are simply looking for quick gold and rather not waste their time undercutting. This guarantees them a sale and a windfall profit.

Mine would be from vanilla, when I gave away 2 dark whelplings, kept one (on a toon I would later delete), and sold the other 2 I had for 5g each. Said pet is worth what now, couple thousand gold? This was at a time that they didn't even show up on Thottbot, and being it was just a "worthless non combat pet", I figured 5g each wasn't a bad deal. Helped me towards my first mount. :P

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Buying game time cards for gold >.< ~70k

They worked at first, but got redacted a few days later. Should've known.
    yeah, that's a pretty easy way to lose some money.