Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bought blazing hippogryph for 190k gold two months ago. Now there are like five of them on AH, cheapest one is for 64k (!)
    125k loss on a single item, wow that hurts. Well, at least I like it and use it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Bought blazing hippogryph for 190k gold two months ago. Now there are like five of them on AH, cheapest one is for 64k (!)
    125k loss on a single item, wow that hurts. Well, at least I like it and use it often.
    Interesting, did it happen to someone Else aswell that you thought something would be expensive but then the prize(s) dropped?

For me once I remember Warlock Tome was worth 50k on AH and I bought it for 30k but it dropped rapidly to 18k on AH that day.
    Or JiKun Hatchling was worth 30k and I bought it for 9k only to see the AH prizes drop to under 3k later.

The other Extreme were Trillium bars which I hoarded in 5.1 to resell for the legendary questline in 5.2, and so I did but after a few weeks the prizes seemed to have normalized back on 5.1 level and I sold the Trillium with 1-3 profit per bar only.

Now however the Trillium Prizes are so absurdly high sometimes 10 of them cost more than the Daily Living Steel Cooldown they are required for, and Living Steel Prizes also went up.

Terrible ideas I had at the end of Cataclysm:

- Mass producing/stockpiling Greater Eternal Essence. Had about 5000 going into Pandaria, and the price dropped to 1/3 its previous value.
    - Stockpiling Abyss Crystals before the changes to Enchanting levelling made Greater Cosmic Essence completely worthless.
    - Mass milling Cataclysm herbs & stockpiling ink for Pandaria. Turns out I'm terrible at remembering to repost auctions on my 3 glyph bankers, & glyphs move slowly and relatively cheaply on my server. Multiple guild banks and mails filled with various inks. Had to process the Inferno Ink into cards/trinkets which also sell slowly.
    - Passing on stockpiling Hypnotic Dust because it took up so much space. Sold thousands of them for less than 1g each, now they are worth more than 10x that :|

Recently I lost like 30-40 full mails because I transferred the character they were going to return to. So after 30 days, the automated system couldn't find the character, and they vanished into the Twisting Nether never to be seen again! Mostly inks and I think a couple hundred Illusion Dust.

And finally, a couple weeks ago I got drunk and shopped for battle pets... bid 70k on a Tuskarr Kite thinking it was a Dragon Kite. Won the auction and a few days later another kite showed up for 60k. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Someone was selling dupe mounts 25k piece. I bought them (they went for 90k+ when were no dupe) Then in panic i sold them 35k-50k per. Now theyre back to 90k since Blizz apparently fixed the dupeing. Doh
    whats dupe mounts? explain please.

ont: i once put out alot of auctions, spent a whole night posting them out, then went out of the country and forgot about it. Everything in the mail got deleted, i think it was around 25.000

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    whats dupe mounts? explain please.

ont: i once put out alot of auctions, spent a whole night posting them out, then went out of the country and forgot about it. Everything in the mail got deleted, i think it was around 25.000
    Dupe aka dupped items are items that are duplicated via some program ( don't know which one exacly). Dupping is around since vanilla and most noticeable cases were with Crimson Charger,Vial of Sands, Spectral Tiger and also recently Jewel Panthers.

OT: I had many cases of trying to reset some markets and usually not ending up very well and in some cases lose gold :S And also buying game time via gold silly me.. lost about 20k there.
    Last edited by Priestamgpwn; 2013-05-14 at 07:32 PM.

B.E.R.T.H.A. yells: AFFIRMATIVE, CUPCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Priestamgpwn View Post
    Dupe aka dupped items are items that are duplicated via some program ( don't know which one exacly). Dupping is around since vanilla and most noticeable cases were with Crimson Charger,Vial of Sands, Spectral Tiger and also recently Jewel Panthers.

OT: I had many cases of trying to reset some markets and usually not ending up very well and in some cases lose gold :S And also buying game time via gold silly me.. lost about 20k there.
    got a few questions;
    *what happens if you buy one of these mounts, will blizz ban u?
    *why doesnt blizz ban the people duping?

*why doesnt blizz ban the people duping?
    Because those people don't operate the selling of them on their own accounts. They hack accounts and use those. So Blizzard does the smarter thing, which is find out how the dupe works, and then fix that. Same as with botting programmes.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

Field Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Pyrium ore for epic gems
    I had bought up a small bit of pyrium ore myself for epic gem prospecting shortly after cata was released. I didn't buy a whole bunch of it though, maybe around 400 stacks of ore in total. I was very small-time in the gold making business. My heart completely dropped when they announced how epic gems would be acquired come release of Dragon Soul. I was sure I had lost all of my gold on this ore, probably around 55k gold in total. I decided though to hang on to the ore for a while after DS was released. It was a good decision. About 6 months in to Dragon Soul, the price for Pyrium Ore went up quite a bit. I managed to resell all of the ore and made a 25k profit.

*what happens if you buy one of these mounts, will blizz ban u?
    No,the buyer take no risk (we cant be the ToS police...we pay Blizzard to do this work).

If you buy the mount from the AH you will keep it.
    If you buy the mount on a direct trade with the duper you will get your mount removed,they will give your gold back and you will receive a "warning" (its no really that) informing you that it was a duped item and asking you to not get involved in "suspicious" trades in the future.

To this date that "warning" got no real weight and theres real no evidence (some claim it without any proof) that someone has ever been infracted by this (although if someone of you has such evidence present it ...but please not the "a friend of my cousin knows someone").

Why? Its easier for Blizzard to control the AH since its a centralized trade/sell point.That why you see constantly in trade "Selling Reins of Switft spectral tiger!!!!" from a lvl 1 but never see it on the AH.

lending a "friend" gold - lost 30k .. got 6 bottles of baylis for it in rl for it because he quit wow and saw no other way in paying back

once i almost sold the piol for way under the price i wanted but luckly i was fast enough to stop it, else i would have lost around 20k or something around that. but then again .. like gold is important^^

got my chopper for 160g tough and the guy was pretty pissed at me but thats another story.

Mine Crimson Deatcharger bought for 160k before all of them came to my server, dumping price to 25-30k each later on.
    How is that possible to sell them in such a big quantity ( 20-30 ) from 1 person. I cant belive it was legit. Anyway at least i value this mount a lot because of the gold i paid.

Made the gnome rocket with engineering in the hopes of someone would buy it (Was VERY early in the expansion) had it up on AH for like a week or two with no competition, didn't get sold. Then I couldn't be arsed to put it up on AH anymore so I just learned it
    FC: 2809-9067-8996
    Grass safari with: Ivysaur - Pansage - ???

Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    Made the gnome rocket with engineering in the hopes of someone would buy it (Was VERY early in the expansion) had it up on AH for like a week or two with no competition, didn't get sold. Then I couldn't be arsed to put it up on AH anymore so I just learned it
    Oh my thaat is similair to what happened with me. I put a Rocket on AH for For weeks without any results. So I use my next twelve Spirits of Harmony for some small Gold like Scopes or extra Living Steels, only to discover a bought the Rocket on AH this instant with big profit, leaving me without Spirits for restocking the AH with a new Rocket. Been through this Sharade with myself like four times now.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2013-05-15 at 04:29 PM.

Back in Cata, I bought rare uncut rare gems at which I thought was a hefty price, but once I cut them with JC, they were all sold for a lit less. I think I lost 20 gold / gem and I had about 200 gems.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

Herald of the Titans Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Haven't lost a big sum of money yet.
    I did buy a Crimson Deathcharger for a very high price, but that was just before the market was flooded with the "copies", so i'm happy with my mount because it means it isn't a dupe.

My worst gold loss was that time I accidentally bought a brawlers guild invite for 88k, just after having bought my first one for 50k, I was just sitting there, looking at my 2 completed auctions..

Even worse than this, Once, while leveling my first toon, I payed this hunter 20g (all of my gold) to boost me trough Sunken temple, I paid up front...
    Pokemon X Friendcode : 5257-9535-0556 - Poison Safari, Drapion - Kakuna - Ariados
    Send me a PM with your code so I can add you back!

Buying a spectral tiger for 500k. When I don't even want the mount.

Once bought lvl25 pet for like 12k and after accidentally sold it for 300 (like lvl1)

Not a big deal I know, but anyway

Transferred my guild after my raiding team died to a new, high populated server. Headed off to Japan and took a break from wow, so when I got back I could return to my guild and start over on a fresh realm where things were actually happening. A few people followed me there or made a new character.

After I took off, Blizzard introduced a new feature to the game. Namely, remove inactive GM's! So one of these people (who wasn't actually playing the character he had in my guild), decided after a few months it was a good idea to take over the guild. Take my personal 200k in there (had to move the money) + the 150k that was still in there from the guild, all the items together in there were probably worth another 100k.

So I spent 30 euro's to move my guild (including my main, oke) so I got worth 20. Lost 10 euro's, 200k myself and my level 25 guild which included another 250k in money and items.

So yea, in total 10 euro's, 450k and a level 25 guild. Thank you for your support Blizzard! I know, this feature is working as intended
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbringer O'Mrogg
    Left: Me Hungry.
    Right: You're always hungry. That's why we're so fat!

I feel for you Ethes and recommend making a "Bank Alt" and form a new Guild for Character GMs who plan to be absent, maybe give random People 200g each for signing Guild charter. There you can be foreveralone and no one will take over your Gold.