10+ Year Old Account

[Balance] HC Durumu Walls

Are we best to DOT each section with eclipsed dot, double dot 2+ boss, single nuke or hurricane?
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

10+ Year Old Account
    If you haven't met the enrage timer yet, you should be spreading dots onto as many sections as possible. Each peak on a wall has a shared health pool with that wall, so put up dots on as many as possible.

Hurricane doesn't have a range big enough to be effective imo.

It depends on where you are in the cycle. If you are eclipsed, I found that it is better to only apply the eclipsed dot to as many sections as possible. If you are not eclipsed, double dot as many sections as possible. Atleast in my group, I was only needed for the first wall, and after that most classes got back on the boss, since Warlocks/Shaman could destroy the walls in no time.
    Minituk Raider in TF

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You really should make sure you are in Eclipse for Ice Walls, it shouldn't be too difficult. Preferably in Solar, but ever other wall you'll have CA up anyway so it's not a huge deal. You'll want to drop Mushrooms right in the center whenever you are moving (during maze, lingering gaze, knockback, wtv). You want to blow up the mushrooms when your trinkets are up, but you don't want to wait so long that one of the walls die. From there during the walls when you have CA up just use every global dotting a different portion. When CA is down focus on dotting as many portions of the wall as possible with Eclipsed dots only, Dot the wall your raid wants to kill first, then bounce back and forth between the other two walls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    You really should make sure you are in Eclipse for Ice Walls, it shouldn't be too difficult. Preferably in Solar, but ever other wall you'll have CA up anyway so it's not a huge deal. You'll want to drop Mushrooms right in the center whenever you are moving (during maze, lingering gaze, knockback, wtv). You want to blow up the mushrooms when your trinkets are up, but you don't want to wait so long that one of the walls die. From there during the walls when you have CA up just use every global dotting a different portion. When CA is down focus on dotting as many portions of the wall as possible with Eclipsed dots only, Dot the wall your raid wants to kill first, then bounce back and forth between the other two walls.
    sounds like you've got it all sorted, thanks for taking time to reply, I'll give it a go tonight. Do you not pop CDs on pull? or is the first wall 3mins into the fight?

also managed to get a 535 2h agi staff, is it worth mooncatting, if so how exactly should i go about that? Is it worth making a HOTW / Equip 2h macro?
    Last edited by xtramuscle; 2013-05-09 at 03:16 PM.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

Pop cds with hero on the pull and they are up for the second ice wall. Basically they are up for each ice wall coupled with Light Beam Phase. But a lot of what you need to do as a moonkin to the ice wall depends on how well your raid is performing in general.

Here are two logs, one from our first night and one from our kill which came very quickly on the second night. The first night I was dotting the piss out of those walls making sure I dotted about 8-9 sections with my eclipsed dot (picking 2-4 from each of the 3 sections) and once you get that many dots up I would spam starsurge into whatever wall we needed to kill interspersed with another dot on a high wall if I somehow didn't get a constant stream of SS procs; also generally keeping 2 dots on Durumu as well. Also note we hit enrage and boss was ~10%. On the log, move to "damage by actor" and you can see how much rape went into the walls. The only problem was our other dps who supposedly were also focusing the wall were doing so poorly that boss damage really suffered. Now move on to log two.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/jht02...?s=7855&e=8460

The second log is the kill when after a good night's sleep the Warlock realized how to play his class and so I toned my damage waaaay down on the walls to focus on boss damage and beating the enrage timer. There is a very finite amount of damage to be done to the wall and once the lock stepped his game up, I certainly didn't ignore the wall, but would only dot the same amount as before and then pump every starsurge into the boss. (Sidenote: If you don't already, make a keybind for moonfire/sunfire and starsurge directed at your focus target and that way you can easily keep up dots on Durumu while dotting the icewall as well as not wasting starsurge procs and/or precious time by moving your mouse and selecting new things. You dot the wall constantly and when you get a starsurge proc you hit your focus/targetlasttarget macro and send the starsurge where it counts [durumu] while being able to move your mouse onto the next thing to dot).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1314&e=1875

Consequently I ranked 30 on that kill with a 526 ilevel, no 4 piece and not too much wall cheesing of dps. So truly, take into account your raid and how much damage you all can do to the wall and be sure to not overkill it. The enrage will eventually be a joke, but 3 healing and 2 tanking like we did makes it much more serious and thus the more damage on Durumu you can afford, the better. Especially the ice wall you get during Light Beam; I found that ice wall to be much less pertinent in terms of killing it immediately and thus I spent a good chunk of my CDS popped pumping damage onto Durumu. People move with the beam over time and through constant dots, the ice wall will fall. The only time I really spent single-targeting the wall is when we found out which way the boss was Disintegrating Beam-ing and which wall needed to then die ASAP.

Hopefully this helps, 2 logs: one where the moonkin rapes the wall to oblivion to cover low dps from others, and then one where the moonkin rapes boss damage and only does enough to the wall to ensure enrage is met. Both ways could work, just needed a lot more damage on Durumu from the raid in the first log which, of course, was not there in my group.

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    also managed to get a 535 2h agi staff, is it worth mooncatting, if so how exactly should i go about that? Is it worth making a HOTW / Equip 2h macro?
    I doubt it. In lower gear levels and maybe early on in ToT, maybe, but higher gear levels with more crit/SS procs and then proper moving you can easily hard cast throughout the whole maze. Plus unless your group is absolutely amazing at ice wall damage, there's usually at least one wall still up for the early part of the maze and thus dot it up and then youll get a good amount of SS procs to use while moving through. But having not tried it myself since I have no good agi weapon, it might be, but would be taking your ice wall dps out for the maze for the most part.
    Last edited by Purrberry; 2013-05-11 at 10:11 AM.

I pop cds on the pull, and then hold off a bit on my 2nd set of cds for the ice walls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepe View Post
    I pop cds on the pull, and then hold off a bit on my 2nd set of cds for the ice walls.
    Yeah after seeing further into the fight, and some other logs I plan to do this tonight.

@Purrberry thanks for the indepth reply.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

Why would you want to be preferably in solar @Stommped? If you're in Lunar for the ice walls you can use moonfire on as much as possibly + your starfall is gonna do major damage. Oh and depending on how fast your guild kills the walls and how much prio you need to put on 1 wall you should make sure to DoT that wall & make good use of your SS procs on it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claynoe View Post
    Why would you want to be preferably in solar @Stommped? If you're in Lunar for the ice walls you can use moonfire on as much as possibly + your starfall is gonna do major damage. Oh and depending on how fast your guild kills the walls and how much prio you need to put on 1 wall you should make sure to DoT that wall & make good use of your SS procs on it.
    I always do it in Lunar with Starfall and multi dot + Starsurge procs. If the walls are melting I'd dump SS procs into Durumu with focus cast macros sort of like the ones here: http://manamonster.blogspot.com/2013...in-macros.html

Quote Originally Posted by Manamonster
    /cast [@focus] Starsurge

I'm going to assume stommped said be in solar because he pre-plants mushrooms for ice walls during eye sores

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the damage Starfall does to the walls is really RNG dependent. Member it's 20 stars maximum so Wandering Eyes, Red/Yellow adds, Durumu will all eat stars that you would want hitting the walls. I make sure to hold Starfall when I'm pushing to Solar for the final time before they spawn, so it basically comes down Uneclipsed Starfall damage vs. Uneclipsed Mushroom damage. You could look at logs but you would have to clip only wall phases without CDs, and it would be more work than it's worth given the randomness I described of Starfall damage on the wall.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Yeah, the damage Starfall does to the walls is really RNG dependent. Member it's 20 stars maximum so Wandering Eyes, Red/Yellow adds, Durumu will all eat stars that you would want hitting the walls. I make sure to hold Starfall when I'm pushing to Solar for the final time before they spawn, so it basically comes down Uneclipsed Starfall damage vs. Uneclipsed Mushroom damage. You could look at logs but you would have to clip only wall phases without CDs, and it would be more work than it's worth given the randomness I described of Starfall damage on the wall.
    I am pushing in to my Eclipse as the walls spawn so it could be a gear difference. As far as planting mushrooms on the move, I never do that. I plan my ability usage around reapply dots and consuming Starsurge procs while moving during the maze so I'm still able to hard cast Starfire/Wrath during Eye Sores. End of the day I don't think the walls are the hard part of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by manamonster View Post
    End of the day I don't think the walls are the hard part of the fight.
    Mostly this. Like I said earlier, the walls don't have a lot of hp and they basically serve as a red herring in order to get all dps to switch and thus lose damage on the boss and fail enrage timer. So make sure that if you have a dot heavy group that you stop attacking the wall around 30% hp as the dots will kill it before it truly NEEDS to die. Boss damage is more important and overkilling the wall only serves to lower raid dps and from my experience parses you lower. The more time you spend dotting the wall, you need your dots to last their full duration to be worth the cast (speaking generally in how dots work). So cleave the wall when they are all high, but switch to the boss for a lot of your single target damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah after actually progressing on this boss, I must say I'm going against everything people have said. I know what should be the highest DPS, but as Purrberry rightly said, id depends how long the walls actually live for. My highest DPS parses (outside of perfect UVLS procs at the start of maze phase \o/) all came from preplanting shrooms, phasing solar, dotting boss, popping tinker + shrooms and then Hurricaning the very center of the room, hitting the boss and maybe 6-8 wall segments. Once NG runs out I have to hard cast my way to lunar (not too bad with 10300 unbuffed haste + meta) and that gets my starfall ready for maze phase.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

You're probably experiencing this because your crit is quite low.