Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

More than 70 US service members sexually assaulted daily.

Surprised this has gone unnoticed here so far.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...agon-says.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...aults/2140835/

The question at hand is..... Should such crimes get handled by regular courts, or remain under military jurisdiction?
    Several news report speak of at least 500 sexual assault cases per week. And apparently the military does little to nothing to put an end to it. Otherwise it would hardly be at such staggering numbers.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Reading that make me feel nauseaus..

10+ Year Old Account
    Military courts, as I imagine they would be faster. You'd also be tried by your peers and let them see what a disgraceful human being you are.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Military courts, as I imagine they would be faster. You'd also be tried by your peers and let them see what a disgraceful human being you are.
    Or be more inclined to sweep it under the rug.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know too many female soldiers that come home pregnant. Disgusted me every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    The problem - as claimed - is that as victim you report to your commanding officer. Unlike in civil life, where you simply involve the police and then it goes from there, in the military basically everyone knows everyone.
    In civil life, both Police and Court have no affiliation or relation to either victim and criminal. In the military not so the case.

There are reports about such cases being outright dismissed by high ranking officers as "can't be, don't believe it".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...bates/2143101/
    In February, an Air Force general in Europe threw out the sexual-assault conviction of a star fighter pilot. The general later wrote that he did not believe the pilot could have committed the crime because he is "a doting father and husband."
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-05-08 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I know too many female soldiers that come home pregnant. Disgusted me every time.
    Even "consensual" sex is forbidden in a combat zone. Of course sexism still plagues the military.

Deleted
    Daily? Damn! Let the civvie courts deal with it, most Military Officers are not qualified to hold courts or pass legal judgement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't there military police for this sort of thing?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Aren't there military police for this sort of thing?
    Yes, but the people holding court and making judgements are usually senior officers with little to no legal training.

If the MPs aren't handling it, civil should.

The way so many men treat women makes my blood boil, and my stomach turn.

I honestly want to be the one to snap their necks and be done with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently not Reeve..... I mean, it's the army, at the end of the day, aren't they all supposed to be comrades?
    Now if comrade assaults another comrade, there are still enough comrades that sympathize with the douchebag.

I think Rich nails it...

Maybe a joint force built by military and civil law enforcement could do the trick?
    in Germany we say.... One crow doesn't pluck out another crow's eyes....
    Fits the situation pretty damn close I believe.

"We're going to have to not just step up our game, we have to exponentially step up our game, to go at this thing hard,"
    How come nobody ever uses that term in ways that make sense? Not even the president can pull it off? Why doesn't he just say "a lot" instead of something retarded like this.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel this is a slippery slope. A lot of the female Airmen on the base I work at party hard with the other single male Airmen, drink a lot, probably fool around with these guys, and then claim sexual assault once they've woken up and sobered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    I feel this is a slippery slope. A lot of the female Airmen on the base I work at party hard with the other single male Airmen, drink a lot, probably fool around with these guys, and then claim sexual assault once they've woken up and sobered up.
    Very, very common indeed, especially when they deploy and they might be the only female among 100+ men.

Deleted
    These are the people who fight for your "freedom". Rapists.

Be sure to thank them for serving.

10+ Year Old Account
    in AIT some females noticed cuts and bruises on specific parts of my body in the showers. They reported it. What I was told was that because I hadn't reported the situation myself after it happened I would likely have more issues. My drill sergeant told me they probably wouldn't believe me for one. Also that it would be very public and dragged out. I would likely become a different kind of victim. Nothing was ever done about it. Luckily the dude ended up in a military detention center a few years later for something else. I like to imagine Sublime's Date Rape song
    Last edited by pvtpyro; 2013-05-08 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling

So I read on my FB feed yesterday that the top sexual assault investigator dude for the Air Force was arrested for sexual harrassment - and the feed went insane with people (both genders) basically calling for his head.

I didn't read everything about it - but I did ask if the guy actually confessed - there was a LOT of hate for an alleged act.

Slippery slope is right - and while we should be watch dogs as civilians, it's the military that needs to substantiate and prosecute these claims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Surprised this has gone unnoticed here so far.
    The sad thing is, I'm not. Not sure if you saw some of the threads on feminism or rape that pop-up from time to time, but a lot of what gets posted in them will leave your skin crawling.

OT: What disgusted me about the Krusinski case is that he was that he was released on only $5,000 bail the same day. That's a slap on the wrist, if that. A bail amount that small shows to me how little the court and military seem to care about this problem. I feel the only reason this is even being taken seriously, is because public has heard and is rightly crying foul.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.