Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Life of Pi visual effects man on board for Warcraft movie

Project is in good hands, says Blizzard vice president of Art & Cinematic Development.

The Warcraft movie project should feature some spectacular visuals with the announcement that Oscar winning Bill Westenhofer of Rhythm and Hues Studios has been signed up as the project's visual effects director.

"Had my first meeting with the VFX Director on the film," Tweeted Blizzard vice president of Art & Cinematic Development Nick Carpenter. "We are in good hands. Welcome aboard Bill Westenhofer! #wowfilm @Blizzplanet"

Westenhofer and his team at Rhythm and Hues Studios won the Oscar for Best Visual Effects for their work in Ang Lee's Life of Pi.

Earlier this year Moon and Source Code director Duncan Jones was confirmed as the Warcraft movie's director, with filming expected to begin later this year for a 2015 release.

Thoughts?

Link: http://www.videogamer.com/pc/wow/new...aft_movie.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All the best effects can't fix a bad story. I'm reserving judgement until I know the story.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    All the best effects can't fix a bad story. I'm reserving judgement until I know the story.
    word.

ever since BC, WoW's story is getting weaker and weaker with each expansion. Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 are also weak story-wise.

and theres a bad reputation revolving movies that are based on games. combine the two together and you have good reason not get hyped over this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    word.

ever since BC, WoW's story is getting weaker and weaker with each expansion. Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 are also weak story-wise.
    Wrath's story dumps both TBC's and Vanilla's stories. MoP is second best. Many people agree with that.

and theres a bad reputation revolving movies that are based on games. combine the two together and you have good reason not get hyped over this movie.
    Well that's because it's the retarded people who decide to make those movies. If it wasn't for the Lotro trilogy and the Harry Potter franchise everyone would be saying the same shit about books that become movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    word.

If story isn't known by older games doesnt mean they are bad.

I don't know man.... I could have watched life of pi on mute and still have enjoyed it as immensely as I did. The visuals in that movie are the most amazing visuals I have ever scene. Looking forward to seeing his work on the WoW movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Deleted
    I didn't like Life of Pi so this isn't good news for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    the Harry Potter franchise everyone would be saying the same shit about books that become movies.
    Sorry, but HP movies were far beyond shit. Really. Every time I went to watch one, it had ruined my day.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are here for the graphic visual effects, That's all the topic is about, Spare me the 'Lore is awfull atm' whines

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Sorry, but HP movies were far beyond shit. Really. Every time I went to watch one, it had ruined my day.
    Early ones were bad, later ones were bad. 3 and 4 were both really good.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

lol such a classic wow forum response. I don't think any1 expects u make a judgement now.

Awesome news!

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed all the LOTR movies and Harry Potter ones. They all were good IMO. As for WoW no it hasn't been getting worse each expansion.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    If it wasn't for the Lotro trilogy and the Harry Potter franchise everyone would be saying the same shit about books that become movies.
    LotR were good movies but if you compare them even a small amount to the books they suddenly become so much shit its not even funny, so if you want to use that as an example of a good media conversion from book to movie because its not. It damn near a whole new set of movies with just the branding of Tolkien on it.

Onto the main topic, There is always potential for it to still be good, and really till we at least see a trailer you can't expect much yet. For all we know it will devolve into a death match between Sylvanas and and Kerrigan (humor intended) but we can always hope and pray it isn't trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life of Pi, was a pretty crappy move, in my opinion. I guess we'll have to wait and see before we judge it. Its really interesting nontheless... And i'm really looking forward to watching it. =)

word.

I disagree. The WoW's story has been perfectly fine each expansion, it's not gotten weaker. It's the execution of telling the story that's got its rough points. Otherwise, it's still all about on par with where it has been previously.

Wrath's story dumps both TBC's and Vanilla's stories. MoP is second best. Many people agree with that.

Well that's because it's the retarded people who decide to make those movies. If it wasn't for the Lotro trilogy and the Harry Potter franchise everyone would be saying the same shit about books that become movies.
    Books made into movies actually have a decent track record. See Jack Nicholson in The Shining as an example.

Fantasy genre, on the other hand, has long been a genre that Hollywood stayed away from prior to LotR and Harry Potter's success. Similarly, comic book movies were never seen as a big budget production, but since Singer's first X-Men they gained momentum and then Iron Man blew the lid off.

I'll reserve judgment, but remain hopefully optimistic for now.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    Life of Pi, was a pretty crappy move, in my opinion. I guess we'll have to wait and see before we judge it. Its really interesting nontheless... And i'm really looking forward to watching it. =)
    But were the special effects good? The movie can be crappy and still have good special effects.

Flellow guildmate!!! Way to go Bill!
    Last edited by Rynin; 2013-05-08 at 07:12 PM.

I wasn't a big fan of Life of Pi but the visuals were amazing.

This is an excellent pickup for the movie.

Deleted
    Does any one have any rough idea's when we can expect the movie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    Apperantly 2015.

I didnt care too much about the story of life of pi, but the effects were pretty amazing, so im really intrested/glad that we can expect something along those lines for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    They are still gathering people so I'd say earliest end of 2015. They have a script and some people but there are still a lot of people missing like all actors. Shooting a film takes a year or so depending on how much locations they need and how much time the actors have and post-production takes another year or so.

Just look at something like the Hobbit. They started shooting in March 2011 and finished in July 2012 (shot almost everything for all 3 films but couldn't finish one because there were scenes missing) and started post-productions for the first movie in July 2011 and the film was released in November 2012. So it took over a year to shoot everything for one movie (it makes sense to shoot everything else they need for the other movies in the meantime) and as much time for post production.