Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Talking Mechanical Gnome Druid Idea: If Not Nature, Then Technology

    I think it is high time Gnomes got a druid class. But, not just any druid class with mini-pets as models. Gnomes should make Robo-gear than plates up around them and simulates Druidic powers by harnessing the moon's energies and dispersing it through a series of electrical pathways. Though they would not blend in with nature, they would be amazing to see in action:

    GNOME GUARDIAN:

    GNOME FERAL:

    GNOME MOONKIN:

    GNOME RESTO-MEDIC:

    GNOME FLIGHT FORM: Shorten the legs and add wings


    For all intents and purposes, the spells would be identical, but the forms would be those of Gnomish Engineering powered by Druidic spells There could even be a scruffy version for Goblin Druids. Just my 2 cents.

    *Edited to revise title. This was just an impromptu idea, and I feel the title was a bit misleading. I didn't create a new class, nor am I begging Blizz to make this happen. I just thought it was a fun idea to toss around and get the reaction of other fans who might like something similar.
    Last edited by Superman-BladesEdge; 2013-05-09 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added a flight form by request
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci

  2. #2
    It would be so wrong, yet so funny to see.

    Feral Kitty with CDs would be like FFF all over again
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

  3. #3
    Don't forget the death-knight style robotic voice modulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I still called it.

  4. #4
    LOL@ gnome moonkin, omg, yes pls

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Don't forget the death-knight style robotic voice modulation.
    I was thinking the grunt of the clockwork gnomes near ulduar... or the other ones in Borean Tundra near the airstrip.
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci

  6. #6
    Better yet, Mimiron's voice for everything.

    You can shout "MEDIIIIIIIIC!" whenever you heal someone.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

  7. #7
    Class that requires intimate and deep connection with nature.
    >Uses technology

    Druids.

  8. #8
    ......please let this be an attempt at trolling..as a feral I get enough mocking without the inclusion of gnomes as a race that can play druid, it was bad enough when they retconned worgen into playability and gave them the same cat for cat form or when they got it in their heads to make trolls THE druids for horde and have tauren suddenly be based on sunwalkers. ok here's the thing, druids as a class get their forms from a couple sources, there are deals with animal spirits (the most common) which used to be a class quest for druids to get their forms back in original WoW. second is being a natural shapeshifter which is much more rare but still something looked for in recruiting for the cenarion circle. gnomes already have their inventions, they only just managed to discover holy spells, don't have them use tech to steal shapeshifting. goblin shamans is possibly the only reason this could be validated and really goblin shamans make sense in a way, they enter into an agreement with the elements and goblins EXCEL at writing up contracts and agreements that favor them, and even then most of the ones shown in game are incompetent as nature based spell casters. gnome druid on the other hand, especially when talking about technology as the reason they can be druids, just seems forced.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    Better yet, Mimiron's voice for everything.

    You can shout "MEDIIIIIIIIC!" whenever you heal someone.
    I like it. I would absolutely make an emote macro to shout it every time I healed someone.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 01:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Akairos View Post
    Class that requires intimate and deep connection with nature.
    >Uses technology

    Druids.
    Class that requires intimate and deep connection with nature.
    >Uses technology

    Goblin Shamans.
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Akairos View Post
    Class that requires intimate and deep connection with nature.
    >Uses technology

    Druids.
    How isn't technology a deeper and intimate connection with nature? Complete control over Electromagnetism? Control over elements, alloys and materials? Exploiting the laws of physics to achieve specific tasks. I'd say technology is more druidic than fairy-praying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I still called it.

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Keile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,656
    ....I vote yes if only for the Rocket Chicken.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Class that requires intimate and deep connection with nature.
    >Uses technology

    Goblin Shamans.
    goblin shamans make sense because they make an agreement, or contract, with the elements to use their power, and even then they don't do as well as more experienced shamans if you look at the lore (and some in game quests.) goblins as a culture are ALL ABOUT making contracts so when they are given the opportunity to do so with elementals sure it makes sense that they do it well. but technology really has no place in being a druid and hasn't since way back when it was a D&D class, heck some pen and paper RPGs actively remove all your powers for a while if you even wear metal in your armor at all. plus druid forms are from connections with animal spirits (as shown in original WoW druid quests) and natural talent, neither of which really has a place in tech based invention centric gnome society. same reason goblins won't get it, same reason bloodelves who are a race focused on the arcane won't get it.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by razorfire View Post
    goblin shamans make sense because they make an agreement, or contract, with the elements to use their power, and even then they don't do as well as more experienced shamans if you look at the lore (and some in game quests.) goblins as a culture are ALL ABOUT making contracts so when they are given the opportunity to do so with elementals sure it makes sense that they do it well. but technology really has no place in being a druid and hasn't since way back when it was a D&D class, heck some pen and paper RPGs actively remove all your powers for a while if you even wear metal in your armor at all. plus druid forms are from connections with animal spirits (as shown in original WoW druid quests) and natural talent, neither of which really has a place in tech based invention centric gnome society. same reason goblins won't get it, same reason bloodelves who are a race focused on the arcane won't get it.
    Still doesn't explain the mechanical totems and their need to pollute everything. If lore has shown us one thing in wow, Technology is everywhere and ever evolving. From Spider tanks, to Siege Engines. Crossbows to Guns. Explosives and Anti-gravity wells. Science and nature go hand in hand. If anything, I could more easily explain a scientist than I could a Druid when it comes to the elements and the manipulation of nature.
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    And the prize for the most absurd idea 2012-2013 goes here...

    Infracted. Post constructively

  16. #16
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,833
    Gnome boomkin made me lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  17. #17
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    How isn't technology a deeper and intimate connection with nature? Complete control over Electromagnetism? Control over elements, alloys and materials? Exploiting the laws of physics to achieve specific tasks. I'd say technology is more druidic than fairy-praying.
    lol, untampered nature is one thing. processed materials is another.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    And the prize for the most absurd idea 2012-2013 goes here...

    Infracted. Post constructively
    You and one other person have been less than favorable about this. I tossed it together since it is something I would love to see in the game. I'm sorry if I did not waste 100 hours stealing other peoples ideas just to give a full class breakdown. If I had used the words Heroic in the title, would you have like it more?
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” Leonardo da Vinci

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Still doesn't explain the mechanical totems and their need to pollute everything. If lore has shown us one thing in wow, Technology is everywhere and ever evolving. From Spider tanks, to Siege Engines. Crossbows to Guns. Explosives and Anti-gravity wells. Science and nature go hand in hand. If anything, I could more easily explain a scientist than I could a Druid when it comes to the elements and the manipulation of nature.
    mechanical totems are there largely for blizz to keep the "flavor" of goblins as a race involved in the class, same reason every shaman character has a totem themed to their race, in this case game mechanics REALLY do not = lore. as for gravity wells and spider tanks and the other examples you gave, yes, those are technology steadily advancing, the thing is that despite that technology and nature magic aren't the same thing, nature magic in most situations is a request rather than a demand or manipulation of nature. gaining the support of a nature spirit and turning into the form it represents =/= putting on a suit that makes you look like it, druids request the power of nature around them or have enough of an inherent connection to simply be a conduit of it, wheras the suggestion of a power suit to channel nature spells and change forms is in itself a violation of nature. plus gnomes and goblins in the lore really have never got what it is that lets druids use their abilities in the first place, if we suddenly drop the basics of how the class works by saying "well I have an invention that lets me do that too" then gnomes and goblins instantly have every class in the game from paladin to druid, it removes what lore reasoning we have for class/race combinations and really makes it so there's no point to any of it aside from "well I like this race and its racial bonus so I'm playing that" which kind of butchers what lore we have.

  20. #20
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    how is this thread going to achieve any form of serious discussion? If i ever saw a robot druid I would say wow is dead and I would leave it to the flys.
    this thread is as constructive as a 2 year old baby

    Infracted. Knock it off

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •