Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    I think you're right.

According to GuildOx there are 1,067,857 active lvl 90 TOONs in the US
    http://www.guildox.com/go/g.aspx?a=11&w=US&l=EN

And 1,164,790 in EU
    http://www.guildox.com/go/g.aspx?a=11&w=EU

Remember, that's Characters, not accounts and then think about how many people you know that have more than one 90.

There are at least 5 Million Chinese World of Warcraft players ... and I personally don't give a damn about how many people in China or on Mars are playing the game. Neither does Blizzard, they know that their 5 million chinese subscribers aren't going to pay for their bills, they're just used as a convenient tool to bloat the report numbers. Making it appear as if their game is much more popular than it really is compared to other MMOs.

There are approximately less than 3,5 million players in the EU + US combined which makes it small fish compared to other MMOs such as League of Legends (Free2Play) or Minecraft. (Buy2Play). Even SimCity (also an MMO game according to Maxis) sold more copies than this.

The reality of things is that World of Warcraft isn't doing as great as most people think. They're in a bit of a pickle, with a bit of a black cloud hanging above their heads if they don't manage to figure out soon how to get the subscriber numbers in the west back up again ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    There are at least 5 Million Chinese World of Warcraft players ... and I personally don't give a damn about how many people in China or on Mars are playing the game. Neither does Blizzard, they know that their 5 million chinese subscribers aren't going to pay for their bills, they're just used as a convenient tool to bloat the report numbers. Making it appear as if their game is much more popular than it really is compared to other MMOs.

There are approximately less than 3,5 million players in the EU + US combined which makes it small fish compared to other MMOs such as League of Legends (Free2Play) or Minecraft. (Buy2Play). Even SimCity (also an MMO game according to Maxis) sold more copies than this.

The reality of things is that World of Warcraft isn't doing as great as most people think. They're in a bit of a pickle, with a bit of a black cloud hanging above their heads if they don't manage to figure out soon how to get the subscriber numbers in the west back up again ...
    You are uninformed.

WoW makes MUCH more money than all those games you cited COMBINED.

In the last quarter alone WoW made 275 million dollars, that's easely 10 times more than all those games you cited.

Those games are free to play garbage in view of the actual money they bring in.

And ... Just do the count 3.5 million subs are not enough to justify 275 million revenue in 3 months time.

That's the reality of a PAID subscription based game against free to play garbage games where EVERY trial download over the last 5 years ...is counted as a player.

8.3 million active paying subscriptions beat free to play 75 zillion player games in revenue with ease

Always: just look at the income of games like Farmville: hardly 3% of their players actually pay some money to play it.

So before posting: learn the dollar game first.

They lost some players. Now lets see where I actually care..
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

You can paint the shit out of an old car, and guess what it's still an OLD car!
    there is quite a lot of time and money put in annually to restoration of old cars. You want new and shiny go Play SWTOR or RIFT i hear they are doing really well....
    www.cherishyourit.ca MCTS - Win 7, MCTS - AD, A+, Security+

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    You are uninformed.

In the last quarter alone WoW made 275 million dollars, that's easely 10 times more than all those games you cited.

And ... Just do the count 3.5 million subs are not enough to justify 275 million revenue in 3 months time.

That's the reality of a PAID subscription based game against free to play garbage games where EVERY trial download over the last 5 years ...is counted as a player.

8.3 million active paying subscriptions beat free to play 75 zillion player games in revenue with ease

Always: just look at the income of games like Farmville: hardly 3% of their players actually pay some money to play it.

its interesting that this is your approach to defending Blizzard these days "look at how much money they are making!". and your defence of the quality of the game? oh, its "WoW must be better than the F2P rubbish, because look at how much money it makes".

leaving aside the fact that it still makes a crap-ton of money, is there any comment you want to make about the fact they are leaking subs faster than a sandwich shop in a riot? or are you so wrapped up in the notion that Blizzard make money, that the quality of the game that makes that money is irrelevent?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.

The volume of new game features and content in MoP is a direct consequence of people cancelling subscriptions during Cataclysm. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    there is quite a lot of time and money put in annually to restoration of old cars. You want new and shiny go Play SWTOR or RIFT i hear they are doing really well....
    Who cares about those other games? Last time I checked it was this one that lost a huge chunk of it's subscribers, and is expected by it's own developers to keep losing subscribers until further notice.

Old, is old, is old. If it's even a part of the overall problem, you're not going to get rid of it.
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Both are doing fine as far as I know. What's wrong with playing those games if they are what you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    its interesting that this is your approach to defending Blizzard these days "look at how much money they are making!". and your defence of the quality of the game? oh, its "WoW must be better than the F2P rubbish, because look at how much money it makes".

leaving aside the fact that it still makes a crap-ton of money, is there any comment you want to make about the fact they are leaking subs faster than a sandwich shop in a riot? or are you so wrapped up in the notion that Blizzard make money, that the quality of the game that makes that money is irrelevent?
    LOL has 6 to 7 million people playing it and it is balanced a skill based game not gear based...2 million dollar tournament over the last few days, when was the last time blizzard hosted a 2 million dollar tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by malbojia View Post
    LOL has 6 to 7 million people playing it and it is balanced a skill based game not gear based...2 million dollar tournament over the last few days, when was the last time blizzard hosted a 2 million dollar tournament.
    Shrug. Those 6 million don't pay a fixed monthly subscription in LOL. And IF there was a fixed monthly subscription in LOL that number of "active" players would crumble to 300K in no time (like ALL "competitors" did in the last 7 years).

People Always vote with their wallets when quality is concerned.

Here I give you the figures of Farmville with its 75 million (ex) players: 82% pay ZERO $, 15% pay 1-10 dollars for the duration they played and ... 3% pay 20 dollars or more ...

In viewing these figures WOW would need around 150 million "active players" to even come close to their current revenue streams.

So I say: shrug: compare subscription (apples) to subscription (apples) and not to the free (thin) air you have.

The fact WOW has all these millions of active subscriptions while the rest had to resort to F2P in order to even survive is telling everything really.

Nothing changed: every single subscription based game crashed in head to head competition with a subscription based WOW.

The subscription market is even MORE dominated now by Blizzard than ever before.

And those thinking that Blizzard will just give up on this market have no clue what's ahead in possibilites (far superior know how and technology and 3 billion dollars reserve).
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-05-28 at 07:52 AM.

Shrug. Those 6 million don't pay a fixed monthly subscription in LOL. And IF there was a fixed monthly subscription in LOL that number of "active" players would crumble to 300K in no time (like ALL "competitors" did in the last 7 years).

People Always vote with their wallets when quality is concerned.

Here I give you the figures of Farmville with its 75 million (ex) players: 82% pay ZERO $, 15% pay 1-10 dollars for the duration they played and ... 3% pay 20 dollars or more ...

In viewing these figures WOW would need around 150 million "active players" to even come close to their current revenue streams.

So I say: shrug: compare subscription (apples) to subscription (apples) and not to the free (thin) air you have.

The fact WOW has all these millions of active subscriptions while the rest had to resort to F2P in order to even survive is telling everything really.

Nothing changed: every single subscription based game crashed in head to head competition with a subscription based WOW.

The subscription market is even MORE dominated now by Blizzard than ever before.

And those thinking that Blizzard will just give up on this market have no clue what's ahead in possibilites (far superior know how and technology and 3 billion dollars reserve).
    Your post does not answer the person you are quoting, if WOW is that much more successful than LOL then why is LOL getting $2 million competitions and we some scenarios, a weekly quest to gather four lots of 200 meat and variouls other crap.

I take it you have actual figures for Farmville and are not just making them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Your post does not answer the person you are quoting, if WOW is that much more successful than LOL then why is LOL getting $2 million competitions and we some scenarios, a weekly quest to gather four lots of 200 meat and variouls other crap.

I take it you have actual figures for Farmville and are not just making them up.
    That is a really stupid argument. They are not the same product at all. LoL is based on E-sports, WoW is based on subscriptions. I play both, but still, awful and stupid argument.

Good to see you back form yet another ban, I wonder how long you will last this time

I really love how you just make up numbers and present them as fact.

And in reality if WoW does have 3.5 million west players that is approx 700% more than any other sub based MMO.

I don't care about how many Chinese players there are, but you really need to stop bringing it up in EVERY SINGLE THREAD you post to try and get a reaction can't you just put down the stick for 5 minutes?

Do I think WoW is in decline, yes I 100% do, it is coming up to 10 years old and the competition especialy in the F2P and B2P market is getting stronger.

Do I think WoW will go F2P yes I 100% do, the second they think they can make more money from being F2P than being sub based.

Do I think WoW is in the best state ever, yes I 100% do, MoP is my favorite expansion by far.

Is it perfect, no of course it is not, I would like some more 5 mans ofc I would, who would not?

You can't have everything right?

But to offset that I think raiding is in the best place it has ever been, and I really liked the introduction of scenarios (in fact I prefer them to 5 mans).

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    That is a really stupid argument. They are not the same product at all. LoL is based on E-sports, WoW is based on subscriptions. I play both, but still, awful and stupid argument.
    Why so rude?

It is not a stupid argument, LOL survives on active competition and in order to encourage that Riot have invested a large amount of money in content their players will be interested in. WOW which apparently is superior due to its ability to generate revenue has just given us a content patch that involves collecting 800 items and a major story line that consists of using a mechanical cat.

This. Most intelligent and well informed post I've seen on this forum in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos
    Shrug. Those 6 million don't pay a fixed monthly subscription in LOL.
    Because they make more money without a subscription...

Here are the real numbers by the way:

The difference being that LoL is still gaining players and not yet past it's peak like World of Warcraft seems to be.

You are uninformed.

According to f2p expert LoL is making 5-10 million dollars per day. So there goes your theory. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179324/ LoL is said to have 32 million monthly players, and 12 million active players, doubt your trial example is counted towards that.

8.3 active paying subs does not mean 12$ monthly from everyone, because a majority of the players come from China, where the sub model is different, you should know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post

Because LoL is a total other genre of game focused on pvp, while WoW isn't? You can't compare LoL and WoW.
    WoW is a MMORPG and was never originally designed on competitive e-sports, there were no Arena's or Battlegrounds at its release.

According to many game sites League of Legends is considered an MMO. I remember a few weeks ago reading on IGN and Gamespot that "LoL is currently the most popular/succesful MMO in the west!" But then again game sites are lately also saying that Minecraft and SimCity are MMO games.

According to many game sites League of Legends is considered an MMO. I remember a few weeks ago reading on IGN and Gamespot that[B] "LoL is currently the most popular/succesful MMO in the west!"
    Well it is, isn't it?

What's the difference? The main activity in WoW is zoning 10 people into a raid-dungeon, majority of people hate the leveling part or whatever else there is in the open world (Minecraft has bigger open worlds too by the way...). So if WoW with it's 10-man raiding and solo-queuing is considered an MMO, then League of Legends should be considered an MMO too... And what do you know, it's F2P, has more active players and makes more money than WoW. Seems like it is the most popular online game in the US and Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Shengar View Post
    Because LoL is a total other genre of game focused on pvp, while WoW isn't? You can't compare LoL and WoW.
    WoW is a MMORPG and was never originally designed on competitive e-sports, there were no Arena's or Battlegrounds at its release.
    You are missing the point they are both online games and to a certain extent competition for one and other. One is free to play and spending $2million on a competition their players would like the other is buy to play plus pay to play with dose of cash shop thrown in and is giving their players a mechanical cat quest.

People are forgetting that LoL does make money from vanity things like skins. I know i have drops easily $20-$30 on skins over the last 2 years on them. LoL has a decent revenue stream and releases new stuff at a reasonable pace.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!