1. #3301
    How do we know what the goals of those game companies were? Their goals might have been to just take a segment of the Warcraft audience. Blizzard managed to make a game where 10+ million people played it. They did it by catering to several different demographics. In order to keep pleasing everyone they also had to make the game increasingly generic. This has clearly upset some as we have seen over time on every fan site the continued gripe-fest.

    By making a product generic, when something slightly better comes around with a comparable price people tend to switch. More bang for your buck.

    In addition have you ever heard of a death by a thousand cuts? We maybe witnessing this with Warcraft. Each new MMO that comes out seems to be more focused at a particular gaming segment rather than a dev null catch all. China is showing us now that with the Age of Wushu Blizzard is vulnerable in the selected segment market.

    As for the subs. I would not be surprised with patch 5.2 release being in that data caused a slight uptick. Even if it was 100k-200k subs. It looks better to say 1.3 mil lost rather than 1.5 mil lost. Another note Blizzard said they expect to lose more before the expansions end and we must remember this data is already 2 months old.

    As for Blizzard monitoring players... just because you can watch what they are doing doesn't mean you understand why they are doing it. That is why focus groups observe then go in and ask questions. Blizzard is really only observing and then trying to infer what the player wants.

    As for you claims of $150k a year. I would love to see sources and numbers. That seems a bit low.
    Last edited by majesta; 2013-05-28 at 11:09 PM.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

  2. #3302
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirino View Post
    Adding shaman as a class to alliance isn't a class change. Also are you forgetting Horde got paladins? bet you did. First off let me explain to you what class change is. Class change is when they make you play your class differently. For example shamans can now move and cast LB. Dk's can no longer use blood as a viable DPS spec. Hunters now only use bows and have a power bar. Those are class changes. And yes people are quitting because of the class changes. I quit in cata because my US 3rd H LK DK that was a blood dps with shadowmourne was unviable dps in cata. I quit then came back to play a shaman. Class changes has always made people quit and will always make them quit. Adding a class to a faction didn't make people quit.
    Don't think you understood my post.

    I was giving an example. I am saying that unless you can show that the majority of people quit due to class changes, you can't say that class changes are the reason for sub losses. I respect your anecdotal experience that people quit due to class changes, but my experience has been the total opposite.

    As to the rest of your post, I've already said that in my view, the main cause for any sub loss was the dismantling of normal 25 man raiding guilds which were thriving communities in Wotlk (and arguably TBC, though a lot of people here will claim too much poaching was going on)
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  3. #3303
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    I was giving an example. I am saying that unless you can show that the majority of people quit due to class changes, you can't say that class changes are the reason for sub losses. I respect your anecdotal experience that people quit due to class changes, but my experience has been the total opposite.
    GC has a tweet where he said more people quit due to class changes than quit due to being "ignored". I take from that that a nontrivial number of losses have been due to class changes, although probably not most.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  4. #3304
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    GC has a tweet where he said more people quit due to class changes than quit due to being "ignored". I take from that that a nontrivial number of losses have been due to class changes, although probably not most.
    All that means is between Class changes and classes remaining static, people opt out more due to the former than the latter. It is not an indication of whether the numbers are trivial or otherwise.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

  5. #3305
    WoW won't die as long as i am here.

  6. #3306
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidlyn View Post
    WoW won't die as long as i am here.
    WoW will die in 1-2 years you will see.

  7. #3307
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinnn View Post
    WoW will die in 1-2 years you will see.
    You created an account just to wade in on this topic just for that? Da fuq?

  8. #3308
    The game is 9 years old, people get bored playing the same game for 9 years /thread

  9. #3309
    Quote Originally Posted by Qanlayeni View Post
    The game is 9 years old, people get bored playing the same game for 9 years /thread
    Lol.

    I guess we should just admit it and let the game tank further! /brain

  10. #3310
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Lol.

    I guess we should just admit it and let the game tank further! /brain
    never said the game was bad, i've been playing wow on and off since week 2 of EU release. When i find myself bored to play, i know its time to stop and move to onto another game. Every now and then i come back to WoW, they add updates all they want, but its still the same game

  11. #3311
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,051
    Closing this necro. Please don't necro old threads to post pointless posts



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •